Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Craziest upgrade I've had on UA (as rev)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Craziest upgrade I've had on UA (as rev)

I've had some odd upgrades in my time, but this one takes the cake - I recently flew from EWR to SIN via SFO (k fare I think) - I apply an RPU to the first leg which doesn't clear however I clear the upgrade wait-list from SFO to SIN. Also the RPU gets redeposited back into my account. Crazy stuff, well for me anyway.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How was the upgrade from SFO-SIN supported? You got the RPU back because your EWR-SFO did not clear. Or are you saying you only wanted and applied for an upgrade EWR-SFO with the RPU and did not ask for an upgrade SFO-SIN but got it anyways unsupported? You say SFO-SIN cleared which implies you asked for it somehow and supported it somehow and an international upgrade would cover your domestic leg so no RPU would have been needed for it. Little confused by your description. Or is that why it was craziest upgrade?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baze
How was the upgrade from SFO-SIN supported? You got the RPU back because your EWR-SFO did not clear. Or are you saying you only wanted and applied for an upgrade EWR-SFO with the RPU and did not ask for an upgrade SFO-SIN but got it anyways unsupported? You say SFO-SIN cleared which implies you asked for it somehow and supported it somehow and an international upgrade would cover your domestic leg so no RPU would have been needed for it. Little confused by your description. Or is that why it was craziest upgrade?
Sorry - I didn't ask for an upgrade SFO-SIN but appeared on and cleared the waitlist (there were others who didn't clear)
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I'm confused
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:17 pm

What did your reservation say? Did you clear into R? When you saw your name on the upgrade list, did you ask any questions? Did your reservation say upgrade pending or R class requested?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deskover54
What did your reservation say? Did you clear into R? When you saw your name on the upgrade list, did you ask any questions? Did your reservation say upgrade pending or R class requested?
I arrived at the gate at pre-boarding; saw my name on the upgrade list, I was called over by the gate agent and issued with my new ticket. I didn't look to see what bucket I cleared out of. No questions asked.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Surprise and delight?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Economy over sold and an Op-up?

Others on waitlist were non-revs?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Surprise and delight?
exactly! - I'm OK with the dreamliner SFO-SIN in Y, particularly as so far I've managed to get my own row in Y so more surprise (I'm complimenting E+ on the Dreamliner rather than criticizing J). But If I recall correctly I think this was a full flight so yes this was a lucky upgrade; I think the upfare was around $8K

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Economy over sold and an Op-up?

Others on waitlist were non-revs?
I didn't check if economy was oversold but no announcements for volunteers to switch flights. There were revenue pax that didn't clear

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 7, 2017 at 6:57 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ermintrude
I didn't check if economy was oversold but no announcements for volunteers to switch flights. ...
No need for VDB is business can handle the overflow. That's how Op-ups work.

Originally Posted by ermintrude
There were revenue pax that didn't clear
That would be odd, how many? Unless the declined.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

That would be odd, how many? Unless the declined.
3 revenue
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Check your receipt. If it was a K class, you got an op-upgrade. It was a R class, something strangely happened.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Honestly, if I got called to the gate agent and handed a boarding pass for business, I probably wouldn't ask too many friggin questions either......
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Ahh, the reusable RPU. My record is 5 uses out of 2 RPUs.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:37 pm

Two years ago, I was scheduled to fly Island Hopper to GUM, connecting to HKG, then two days in HKG, followed by NH HKG-NRT and UA NRT-SFO.

I was able to do a cash + miles upgrade to get upper deck J on my NRT-SFO flight.

Island Hopper suffers mechanical delay mid-route, resulting, ultimately, in a 36-hour delay arriving GUM. Obviously too late for HKG connection, and only just enough time to fly GUM-NRT to catch my original NRT-SFO flight.

While being rebooked at TKK (during long crew rest delay) for my new return, I noticed that my upgrade to J had dropped out on my return flight (which was the original NRT-SFO flight). When I pointed this out to the agent, she did a little typing in her computer and handed me a new boarding pass for seat 3A on the return (744).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.