Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

When fare basis and fare code don't match?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN

Booked a flight via corporate where fare basis is JWR1/8N52 but fare class is C...why is that? Any way to get J class for the 300% pqm? Ua agent said it would need an add collect of $7k and that fare class and codes don't match anymore.

TIA
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Halo117
While not familiar with this case, the agent was correct the fare basis will at times not match the fare class. The entire set of -UP/UPDI fares lead with an economy class code but book into first or business.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 7, 2017 at 4:01 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's quite common for the fare basis code (J) to differ from the booking code (C). Typically, miles will accrue based on the booking code (which in most circumstances benefits the pax).
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Booked a flight via corporate where fare basis is JWR1/8N52 but fare class is C...why is that? Any way to get J class for the 300% pqm? Ua agent said it would need an add collect of $7k and that fare class and codes don't match anymore.
This is a somewhat weird one. I've seen other reports of corporate "full J" fares that book into C, and I think it is as much a result of the confusion over whether C class is full or discounted Business as anything else.

But it's true that there is no requirement that the first letter of the basis match the booking code, and maybe they're deliberately bumping it down seeing as you get a 52% discount anyway.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by findark

But it's true that there is no requirement that the first letter of the basis match the booking code, and maybe they're deliberately bumping it down seeing as you get a 52% discount anyway.
So I inquired more and got a great agent that explained due to do my corporate agreement flights will book in C with full J benefits such as changes/refunds but only qualify as C for mileage plus benefits. Only exception is if C class is zeroed out then J is given. Can't complain due to the discount but learned something new.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
So I inquired more and got a great agent that explained due to do my corporate agreement flights will book in C with full J benefits such as changes/refunds but only qualify as C for mileage plus benefits. Only exception is if C class is zeroed out then J is given. Can't complain due to the discount but learned something new.
Interesting. I'm rather surprised that they would bother specifically trying to limit the MP earnings of someone who is flying (albeit half-off) full fare business class.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
I've come across this and have posted about them in the past. Very rare, and always in conjunction with a corporate booking/discount (I have come across them in the economy fares as well).

From my hours of research, I don't think it has anything to do with limiting benefits. The better way to think of these are as "down" fares - in the opposite way of "UP" fares. They allow UA to sell certain benefits at a premium to the lower available fares. The way you can tell is the very high discount (52%; when the highest I've ever seen was 40%) which is used to create this differential. Basically you're getting a refundable/changeable without penalty (usually) fare, but at C Fare+small premium(that's less than the full premium to go to J). As these are specific to certain corporate contracts, it's easier to handle with a discount on a J fare, than file a separate C fare that has less restrictions.

As I said, I've mainly come across these in the economy fares, with a Mxxxxx/8NXX booked into T (obviously wanted it to be in M so I could get an instant upgrade).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.