Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Business Saver strategy for IAH to Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Chase Ultimate Rewards

Hello folks,

Newbie here. I intend to fly from IAH to London summer of 2018. Given that it is peak time and a peak destination, I am pretty open to flying most other hubs in Europe (AMS, FRA etc) and making my way back to London. Will need 2 or 3 business saver tickets. Mostly looking at United or partners.

I also have a long trip coming up this winter to Asia. Trying to figure out if I should save my stash of UA and Chase UR points for the europe trip or blow it on hotels in Asia. Clearly, the value with flights is much higher but I am not sure how feasible it is. Hotels are easy.

Any help would be nice from others who have attempted such a trip.

Last edited by usulbaggins; Apr 6, 2017 at 6:33 pm Reason: Text change
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Should be fine?

You sound relatively flexible, but if you're firm on dates just get after it when the inventory is released.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
I've done it a few times. It just comes down to checking at least once (preferably multiple times) per day. As soon as you see inventory, grab it. Blink and it could be gone. IAH-BRU or another "second tier" city like MUC, or AMS seem to be a better chance, especially if you want multiple saver awards. Being flexible will be your greatest ally here.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UTex09
I've done it a few times. It just comes down to checking at least once (preferably multiple times) per day. As soon as you see inventory, grab it. Blink and it could be gone. IAH-BRU or another "second tier" city like MUC, or AMS seem to be a better chance, especially if you want multiple saver awards. Being flexible will be your greatest ally here.
Thanks guys. Not sure if I am correct but the only direct flights from IAH to europe are to LON, FRA and AMS. I am not sure if the IAH-MUC route is being discontinued or what.....in which case BRU/MUC would make it a 3 leg journey each way to London and back. I am hoping if I start looking around July 4th and book as soon as I can, I can find something to LON, FRA or AMS.

Given the new flight from IAH to MAN, should I consider Singapore? Is there better availability?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by usulbaggins
Given the new flight from IAH to MAN, should I consider Singapore? Is there better availability?
Using UA miles? Not possible.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I find IAH-AMS to be easy and IAH-MUC for time to time.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Using UA miles? Not possible.
I know that. I meant by transferring chase ur points to krysflyer, one of chase partners. Is there more availability directly with Singapore?

Originally Posted by cfischer
I find IAH-AMS to be easy and IAH-MUC for time to time.
AMS would work for us. Thanks for that input.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 6, 2017 at 7:06 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by usulbaggins
I know that. I meant by transferring chase ur points to krysflyer, one of chase partners. Is there more availability directly with Singapore?
If you post in the UA forum, it's assumed you are asking about the UA program.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
If you post in the UA forum, it's assumed you are asking about the UA program.
You're right. My bad.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium
IAH-MUC will be back late spring/early summer from what I'm told.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Lawyerneering
IAH-MUC will be back late spring/early summer from what I'm told.
it is loaded in the system ... have seen it for some searches recently. Glad to see it was back ... likely an easy upgrade for a while

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.