Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booked business fare, connection was 1-class Y, now 2-class, shouldn't I be put in F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Booked business fare, connection was 1-class Y, now 2-class, shouldn't I be put in F?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K

Not usually a UA flyer, so not sure if my question is possible.

I booked a P fare YYZ-SJO return, with the outbound originally via IAD. At the time of booking, the flight was an ERJ and therefore no Business cabin, so I was seated in Y.

Since booking UA has changed my schedule and I'm now flying via ORD on a flight with a Business cabin, however still seated in Y

Am I eligible to request being reseated into the Business cabin?

Thoughts/help appreciated.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, *G, etc.
Originally Posted by ChrisA330

I booked a P fare YYZ-SJO return, with the outbound originally via IAD. At the time of booking, the flight was an ERJ and therefore no Business cabin, so I was seated in Y.

Since booking UA has changed my schedule and I'm now flying via ORD on a flight with a Business cabin, however still seated in Y

When ticketed, your itinerary shown on screen and sent via email showed each segment as P? Not Y? And your receipt online right now shows it as P?

If so, i'd call. If not, SHARES sold you a full Y instead of P because of... SHARES? Jeff? Limes?
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold

I don't know about UA but I had a similar change on AA and the agent had to cancel and rebook. As it happened the schedule change was big enough to allow a full refund and the fare had come down so it was a double win.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
What fare class were you ticketed in on the YYZ-IAD segment? UA doesn't sell P on single class aircraft. So I really don't think you have a P for that initial segment.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
File a complaint with the DOT and demand to be booked in business or get a refund.

This is one of UA's favorite tricks and one of many reasons I despise the airline.

Last edited by embarcadero1; Dec 21, 2015 at 10:21 pm Reason: Wrong agency
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:20 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
You should call and point out you booked a business class ticket, but one of the segments at the time was single cabin. They should be able to put you in F on that segment now IIRC.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
What fare class were you ticketed in on the YYZ-IAD segment? UA doesn't sell P on single class aircraft. So I really don't think you have a P for that initial segment.
It seems to me that it would depend upon the fare construction. UA absolutely publishes premium cabin through fares to cities that only have ERJ service. Heck, ExpertFlyer lists /UPDI, F, and J fares for, e.g., MOB to SHV, despite the fact that both flights would be on ERJs. So, if OP is on a through fare, he's paid for a first class seat, and it seems to me that he should be entitled to sit up front.

OP: My best advice is to call and ask. "Hey, I noticed that after your schedule change, my flight from YYZ to IAD is now operated by an aircraft with a first class section. Since I have a first class ticket, can my ticket be reissued to put me into first class on that segment too?" If they try to charge you a change fee, point out that this is due to a schedule / equipment change and not a voluntary change you initiated.

Good luck!
uanj likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
A through fare booking into P will have a Y booking code on a one-class plane. But OP says he was re-routed via ORD - how did that happen? How is your ticket now fared? That seems like the relevant question here. If you still have a through fare YYZ-SJO, you should call and get reseated in F on the YYZ-ORD flight. They will accommodate that.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
A through fare booking into P will have a Y booking code on a one-class plane. But OP says he was re-routed via ORD - how did that happen? How is your ticket now fared? That seems like the relevant question here. If you still have a through fare YYZ-SJO, you should call and get reseated in F on the YYZ-ORD flight. They will accommodate that.
I think we need to know how it was fared initially as well. Most likely this was an UPDI that books into P, but it could have priced end-on-end, as well, in which case there would be no right to book into premium cabin on the first segment.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by embarcadero1
File a complaint with the FAA and demand to be booked in business or get a refund.

This is one of UA's favorite tricks and one of many reasons I despise the airline.
Favorite trick = scheduled up-gauge? And what's the basis of complaint? Because if...

I think we need to know how it was fared initially as well. Most likely this was an UPDI that books into P, but it could have priced end-on-end, as well, in which case there would be no right to book into premium cabin on the first segment.
...the ticket was constructed as end-on-end, as opposed to through fare, then the airline had done is duty of disclosing the fact that the fare was a mixed cabin itinerary. This could happen on any airline.

As others had already mentioned, find the fare construction, or call UA to clarify. The schedule change auto-rebook will only rebook into same cabin as the previous ticket, and not smart enough to look at other factors.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by embarcadero1
File a complaint with the FAA...
Hopefully you haven't wasted too much of your time filing airfare complaints with the FAA. Wrong agency. Aside from the hysterics, if UA sold a fare constructed of a coach fare for the regional aircraft and an F fare for the 2nd, there isn't much of a complaint.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K
The Y segment is booked into V before and after the change.

How am I able to tell it this was priced end on end vs a through fare?
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Aside from the hysterics, if UA sold a fare constructed of a coach fare for the regional aircraft and an F fare for the 2nd, there isn't much of a complaint.
I experience this often when flying from my hometown and buying a First/BusinessFirst ticket since the majority of flights are on E145 to a hub. Those segments usually get ticketed into Y, W or V.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Had this happen maybe 6-9 months ago (RJ upguaged). Called and was put in FC.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The Y segment is booked into V before and after the change.

How am I able to tell it this was priced end on end vs a through fare?
The Economy segment being in V suggests to me that this was an end-on-end construction. The Saudia website is a good place to see the fare construction of an existing ticket. One of the confirmation e-mails you receive at booking usually also contains the fare construction in little text.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.