Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booked business fare, connection was 1-class Y, now 2-class, shouldn't I be put in F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Booked business fare, connection was 1-class Y, now 2-class, shouldn't I be put in F?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
So both segments show that fare basis?

I would think that makes things easier, and would call in and ask them to update your IAD-CHS-IAD segments to sit up front. You may have to call a few times, but point out the entire trip was booked in C, and now that the RJ flight has a premium cabin, all they should have to do is update the ticket and seat you in F.
Yes, all segments show that fare basis.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CHSBoater
Yes, all segments show that fare basis.
Certainly sounds like you are entitled to a front-cabin seat.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:08 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fumje
Certainly sounds like you are entitled to a front-cabin seat.
Indeed. It sounds like a "hang up and call again" situation to me: politely thank the agent, hang up, and call back and hope to get a better agent.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
OP, tell the next phone agent something to the tune of this:

"I have a through-P fare for CHS-LHR. Would you please rebook the last segment (IAD-CHS) in first class now that the aircraft has been upgauged to a 2-class?"
artvandalay likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sinoflyer

"I have a through-P fare for CHS-LHR. Would you please rebook the last segment (IAD-CHS) in first class now that the aircraft has been upgauged to a 2-class?"
Perfect script.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Perfect script.
^^^^
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Perfect script.
if P-class is available! Just to be clear, the OP is entitled to a seat when P is available ... if UA is selling Z and higher then the OP is stuck in coach until P becomes available for that segment.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
if P-class is available! Just to be clear, the OP is entitled to a seat when P is available ... if UA is selling Z and higher then the OP is stuck in coach until P becomes available for that segment.
I suppose this is getting a bit academic, but that can't be correct. This isn't a request for a free change, this is a request for seating in the cabin commensurate to the fare purchased.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
I suppose this is getting a bit academic, but that can't be correct. This isn't a request for a free change, this is a request for seating in the cabin commensurate to the fare purchased.
OP is entitled to a P-class seat. If they want the Z-class seat, they must up-fare to the Z-class fare.

OP: If you continue to come up empty, you might consider asking them to upgrade per GG BUYUP.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sykes
OP is entitled to a P-class seat. If they want the Z-class seat, they must up-fare to the Z-class fare.

OP: If you continue to come up empty, you might consider asking them to upgrade per GG BUYUP.
That's a ridiculous argument. A P-class ticket is 'deep discount business'. Viz. business.

Are you really suggesting that 'deep discount business' means economy seating when Z is the fare being sold? Let's just move every with a ticket fared below the currently-for-sale one to the back now?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:03 am

Thank you sinoflyer. I called, used that script and was told "No Problem". I'm now rebooked in F.
Xyzzy and jasonp622 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by CHSBoater
I'm now rebooked in F.
^
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
That's a ridiculous argument. A P-class ticket is 'deep discount business'. Viz. business.

Are you really suggesting that 'deep discount business' means economy seating when Z is the fare being sold? Let's just move every with a ticket fared below the currently-for-sale one to the back now?
That's how fares work. Fortunately, this is one of the situations where United typically uses married segment availability logic to the flyer's advantage--if P is open on the long-haul segment, it'll usually show as available on the domestic segments when sold with the long-haul even if it's not available if the domestic segments are booked alone.

Having said that, there have been several occasions when I've put one of my customers in Economy for a domestic segment on a business or first class through-fare because of silly fare class issues (where the traveler preferred Economy to an alternative flight). It's especially bad for Lufthansa intra-Europe flights.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sykes
That's how fares work. Fortunately, this is one of the situations where United typically uses married segment availability logic to the flyer's advantage--if P is open on the long-haul segment, it'll usually show as available on the domestic segments when sold with the long-haul even if it's not available if the domestic segments are booked alone.
Certainly, for new purchases.

In this case, OP was sold a P fare, with P booking into an economy fare class on a one-cabin flight. UA lost the ability to control P availability on the flight when they put the one-cabin bird on the route. When they then up-gauged, it makes no sense for there to be a retroactive inventory requirement. By that logic, if UA had gone to a E-170 at F6 A0 Y6 A0, OP would have been required to up-fare to F across the pond or to insert a fare break at IAD?

Also, GG BUYUP to a Z fare?? I don't see the OP's specific P fare in the CHS-LON fare table, but P fares start at $1950, whereas Z fares start at $3882. Even if the fares are combinable on a half-round-trip basis, that's still a pretty massive charge to sit in F for a 441-mile flight.

Anyway, glad to see that the OP was able to get his seat after calling back. ^
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
J itinerary with single cabin leg. Plane changed to 2 cabin, should I be upgraded?

So i booked a TATL flight a few weeks ago in Polaris. The last leg was a domestic flight on an E145, so no first. However with this weekend’s schedule changes it is now be operated by a 737, but it is still listing me in Economy.

So the question is, should I be in F? If it depends, how do I know?

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.