Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA selects B/E Aspire for 787-10, A350, 772 economy retrofits & B/E Meridian for 737

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA selects B/E Aspire for 787-10, A350, 772 economy retrofits & B/E Meridian for 737

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC

The interesting part to me is the mention of the A350. Seems like they will take the plane in some form, the questions are just what and when.

B/E Aerospace to Launch Aspire™ Wide Body Main Cabin Seating with United Airlines; Airline Also Selects Meridian™ Single Aisle Main Cabin Seating For 737 MAX 9 Aircraft

WELLINGTON, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Apr. 4, 2017-- B/E Aerospace, Inc.(NASDAQ: BEAV), the world’s leading manufacturer of aircraft cabin interior products, today announced that United Airlines is expanding the transformation of their customer experience with major investments in best-in-class economy seating innovation. B/E Aerospace is pleased to announce the selection of the latest B/E Aerospace economy class seating platforms – Aspire, selected for the 787-10 and A350, as well as 777-200 retrofits and Meridian, selected for the next generation 737 MAX 9...

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....ews&id=2259528

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 5, 2017 at 2:10 pm Reason: Merge with other thread
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:49 am

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2017/0...cabin-seating/

B/E Aerospace, Inc. the world’s leading manufacturer of aircraft cabin interior products, today announced that United Airlines is expanding the transformation of their customer experience with major investments in best-in-class economy seating innovation. B/E Aerospace is pleased to announce the selection of the latest B/E Aerospace economy class seating platforms – Aspire, selected for the 787-10 and A350, as well as 777-200 retrofits and Meridian, selected for the next generation 737 MAX 9.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 5, 2017 at 10:55 am Reason: Add quote per FT rules on external links; added economy to title
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just to be clear, this is for economy seats.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Meridian seats will be used on the 737 Max 9.
For those interested in a photo, Southwest's new 737 seat is the BE Meridian.

Also, this:

The weight savings over current generation seating supports the airline’s ability to add passenger enhancing comfort amenities. Meridian’s in-back tablet holder will accommodate personal devices and will include PC Power on all seat assemblies.
suggests the 737MAX9 will come with streaming IFE. Not surprising in the least.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EWR764
For those interested in a photo, Southwest's new 737 seat is the BE Meridian.
Isn't that the one they claimed was wider than others based on a measuring trick?

The reference to refitting 772s in Y is not good news.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:05 am

Are these the seats that force you to bend your shoulders inwards, thus allowing you to fit into ever narrower seats?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kacee
Isn't that the one they claimed was wider than others based on a measuring trick?

The reference to refitting 772s in Y is not good news.
Yes... from the pax perspective there is no discernable difference aside from a narrower armrest, but they'll definitely tout them as "the widest 737 Y seats in the industry."

Retrofit of 772s in Y to 3-4-3 is all but assured. I haven't seen any photos of the Aspire in Y, but I'm not anticipating anything earth-shattering. I like the articulating seat pan, though it will clearly result in less actual recline.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:41 am

I like the articulating seat pan, though it will clearly result in less actual recline.
I like that too, as it reduces the claustrophobic effect of having the seat in front of you reclined in your face. I know that people with longer legs are not thrilled at the reduction in knee room though.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Anyone have pictures of the Aspire seating? I can only find pictures of their Pinnacle seats.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
I absolutely hate sitting in Y on any of the newer generation of slim seats. I get weight savings, but I see no advantage (from a passenger comfort perspective) of making armrests thinner and lighter. Armrests are the last saving grace of keeping a POS out of my seat and the smaller/thinner armrests don't keep them confined to their area.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by DA201
Anyone have pictures of the Aspire seating? I can only find pictures of their Pinnacle seats.
for the 777 version, just take a Pinnacle from the 737 and cut 1" of width off of it.

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
I absolutely hate sitting in Y on any of the newer generation of slim seats. I get weight savings, but I see no advantage (from a passenger comfort perspective) of making armrests thinner and lighter. Armrests are the last saving grace of keeping a POS out of my seat and the smaller/thinner armrests don't keep them confined to their area.
+1. I have had a few flights recently where I was in Y on a 737 and got a POS next to me. Just horrible. I now avoid these planes if I will be in Y.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
The tablet holder will be an awesome feature. It frees up space from the small tray tables.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by Austin787
The tablet holder will be an awesome feature. It frees up space from the small tray tables.
Unfortunately that seems to be the only plus.

As for the Aspire seats going in the 772 retrofits. Will they have 3 or 4 carryon/feet space in the middle column?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:34 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
I like that too, as it reduces the claustrophobic effect of having the seat in front of you reclined in your face. I know that people with longer legs are not thrilled at the reduction in knee room though.
OTOH, if you're not reclining much yourself, you have extra knee/leg space since when the person in front reclines, their seat base moves forward. As a tall person (albeit one who hasn't flown in Y on 2+ class UA metal in a long time), I completely welcome that. I can choose not to recline and slide the base of my seat forward; I can't choose to stop the person in front of me from reclining. In the past, that made for horrid knee and leg pain the whole flight. Maybe now it will be better...

... although the newer seats also seem to require one recline to be at all comfortable! I remember not needing to recline on older Y seats; the newer ones I've tried are painful in the fully upright position.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:17 am

I haven't seen any photos of the Aspire in Y, but I'm not anticipating anything earth-shattering.
Originally Posted by DA201
There are no public photos that I'm aware of. I was able to try out the seats this week (stock version from the vendor, not necessarily customized to UA specs) at Aircraft Interiors Expo. It is wider than the current 10-abreast and also significantly more comfortable IMO. Better knee room to the tune of a couple inches at comparable "pitch" settings.

Aspire is not revolutionary but it is a step change in the product evolution.

No photos allowed in that portion of the tour so I cannot show you what it looks like or how we fit in (I took the middle seat of a 3-block) but everyone from our team who sat in the seats (in two separate groups) had a positive reaction relative to the other 10-abreast 777s we've tried.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.