Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why no United Lounge access with UA domestic first class tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The short answer is no and that is the general practice across the domestic carriers. There are few exceptions.
While there are some who have access due to UC membership or status, for other access it is only if
Premium cabin passengers for "transcontinental business class " (SFO/LAX<> EWR/JFK) or "United Business class within the U.S." (SFO<> BOS)
or Active duty U.S. military personnel under certain circumstances
For more on the "exceptions" see Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
So why not all domestic F passengers, besides it is not the practice? Essentially there is not enough lounge space and it would be too expensive to build enough space.
Additionally, average domestic fare is too low to fund the space needed.

Why can non-domestic carriers do this in their domestic zone? The amount of in country travel / first class is very small in comparison to the USA (in most cases) plus their train competition offers lounge access.

Print Wikipost

Why no United Lounge access with UA domestic first class tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2022, 8:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by qrctraveller
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this question, but I’m curious to learn if there is a UA lounge or another lounge for United first passengers?
Domestic F to Hawai'i does not get lounge access
Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by qrctraveller
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this question, but I’m curious to learn if there is a UA lounge or another lounge for United first passengers?
UA does not provide access anywhere based solely on a domestic F ticket. If you’re connecting to mainland through Honolulu on Hawaiian in F (or you can buy up to F on Hawaiian) you get Pualani Lounge access at OGG.

The EWR- SFO/LAX provides lounge access for front cabin purchase (marketed as Business, not First).

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 17, 2022 at 10:02 am
Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The EWR- SFO/LAX provides lounge access for front cabin purchase (marketed as Business, not First).
Was not aware UA carved this out and allows lounge access with Business class ticket purchase. I assume it is at both ends.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
Was not aware UA carved this out and allows lounge access with Business class ticket purchase. I assume it is at both ends.
Yep, both departure & arrival.

(Sometimes followed by when you see the lounge.)
Artpen100 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
Yup, both ends. So, if flying from EWR in Premium Tcon and connecting to Hawaii (in any cabin), one gets UC access at LAX or SFO based on arrival in Premium Tcon.

I don’t have experience the other way (Ie Hawaii connecting at LAX or SFO to EWR. Would one get access at HNL due to Premium Tcon connection, or just access at LAX/SFO? I’m guessing the latter.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yup, both ends. So, if flying from EWR in Premium Tcon and connecting to Hawaii (in any cabin), one gets UC access at LAX or SFO based on arrival in Premium Tcon.

I don’t have experience the other way (Ie Hawaii connecting at LAX or SFO to EWR. Would one get access at HNL due to Premium Tcon connection, or just access at LAX/SFO? I’m guessing the latter.
It is the latter — explicitly stated:
Customers on premium transcontinental flights may only access United Club locations at the origin and destination of their premium transcontinental flight.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/access.html
Old May 26, 2022, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold
Lounge access with domestic upgrade?

We are flying LHR - EWR - TPA. We are booked in Premium Plus for the LHR - EWR leg and Economy Plus on the EWR - TPA.

If we upgrade the domestic EWR - TPA segment to First, would we then be entitled to United Club access in Newark?

We were thinking of purchasing lounge access at Newark anyway as we have a 3 1/2 hour layover so for the price to upgrade it seems like an easy choice.

Last edited by Ron50; May 26, 2022 at 10:26 am
Old May 26, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Ron50
We are flying LHR - EWR - TPA. We are booked in Premium Plus for the LHR - EWR leg and Premium Economy on the EWR - TPA.

If we upgrade the domestic EWR - TPA segment to First, would we then be entitled to United Club access in Newark?

We were thinking of purchasing lounge access at Newark anyway as we have a 3 1/2 hour layover so for the price to upgrade it seems like an easy choice.
No UC access at EWR unless you are *A gold or UA Premier Gold and above.
Ron50 and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We are flying LHR - EWR - TPA. We are booked in Premium Plus for the LHR - EWR leg and Economy Plus on the EWR - TPA.

Question answered above. If you upgraded LHR-EWR, you would have lounge access (both polaris and united club). Of course I'm sure that costs much more.

Note that your actual lounge time would likely be significantly less than 3.5h, after CBP, TSA, boarding time are factored in.
Kmxu likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I would spend the $ on a decent meal at a restaurant rather than the UC...
seanp7, Ron50, JimInOhio and 2 others like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by entropy
Any decent restaurants in the terminal you would recommend?
Old May 26, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by entropy
How about the schwanky new UC in terminal C?
Also, factor in the time changing terminals after customs/passport control, assuming it parks at Terminal B.
Old May 26, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Wendy's or Dunkin' ... =)

Everything else is an overpriced bar presented to you by OTG.
Old May 26, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless you upgrade to Polaris LHR-EWR, no lounge access. Day passes may or may not be available at EWR, depending on capacity.
Old May 26, 2022, 12:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Try favorite restaurants/food places in UA hubs

EWR food concessions are most handled by OTG, The OTG Airport Experience at EWR

Unfortunately EWR is not known for its restaurants vs other UA hubs
ExplorerWannabe and nexus7556 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.