Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wow - selling the upgrades at the gate so explicitly.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow - selling the upgrades at the gate so explicitly.

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, MP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Then we deserve full transparency with regards to the current policy and process.
I agree with this assessment. A clear explanation of the paid upgrade policy vs. elite upgrades is definitely in the offing. I do hold that UA is a business first and foremost and as such should take all actions to maximize shareholder interests. It's debatable which option best accomplishes that goal. They are much closer to the numbers that we are......maybe we all need to seriously consider purchasing the upgrades that we truly want versus hoping for a complimentary upgrade.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
DEL > EWR on 5/16,
-96 hrs, 19 seats available, GPU does not clear
-72 hrs, 19 seats available, GPU does not clear
-48 hrs, 16 seats available, GPU does not clear
-24 hrs, 16 seats available, GPU does not clear
TOD available for $989
-12 hrs, 6 seats available, GPU finally clears (4 upgrades cleared + 6 TOD)

Emphasis is clearly on TOD (near-term revenue). GPU are being treated like CPU despite cash value - they show up on the balance sheet as a liability but the policy is clearly to make them so un-usable they expire.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by LimeySD
DEL > EWR on 5/16,
-96 hrs, 19 seats available, GPU does not clear
-72 hrs, 19 seats available, GPU does not clear
-48 hrs, 16 seats available, GPU does not clear
-24 hrs, 16 seats available, GPU does not clear
TOD available for $989

Emphasis is clearly on TOD (near-term revenue). GPU are being treated like CPU despite cash value - they show up on the balance sheet as a liability but the policy is clearly to make them so un-usable they expire.
This has been my experience for the last year. I have posted numerous times (see RPU/GPU's are now worthless thread) about the worthlessness of GPU/RPUs. GPU are indeed minimally (if no better) than CPUs. In the past years I was upgraded more frequently by CPUs than using my instruments over this past year. In the past 9 months zero GPU/RPUs have been taken! I still sit on 18 of what I now consider worthless upgrade instruments.
Clearly UA wants the revenue from TOD's. I don't even blame them for that. What I have a problem with is why even give this false pretense to their elites FFs that these instruments have value, for the most part they clearly don't.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So you cleared? And the complaint is that it didn't happen sooner?

Sorry, you're going to find yourself in the same situation on AA or DL, too.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
DEL > EWR on 5/16,

How do you know who's clearing via upgrades via TOD? Even cleared upgrades don't appear on the UA app list sometimes. If there's some way to tell, I'd love to know!
Old May 18, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
How do you know who's clearing via upgrades via TOD? Even cleared upgrades don't appear on the UA app list sometimes. If there's some way to tell, I'd love to know!
Ditto. How do you figure out this breakdown?

I am currently sitting on a waitlisted GPU for TLV-EWR in a few days. Seatmap shows BF as half empty. It's just so obnoxious that they won't clear the GPU at this stage.
Old May 18, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Best way to know is to look for the smug smiles in row 5....happened to me on the last few trips. Tried to use MUAs, made it to number 1 and 2 on the list for wife and I with at least 2 seats open at T-2 only to see those seats vanish while sitting at the gate. The most recent flight, LAS to EWR on Tuesday, wife got upgraded (she was 2 on the list) at T-12 leaving 3 empty seats that were there until boarding started. The guy who had been in front of me in 8B was very happy with his $100 upgrade. I was not so happy to see my 20K miles degraded in value to about $.005. Currently wait listed for MUA on BCN to EWR this Sept, only 4 seats filled so far but the continue to sit on $1100 and 60K miles of ours. Oh well. More and more I am thinking it is time to just use the miles for tickets to see the grand kids and be done with UA and the ever changing games.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by gene2632
More and more I am thinking it is time to just use the miles for tickets to see the grand kids and be done with UA and the ever changing games.
Tired of it as well. I am on a redeye SFO -CLE next week and seatmap shows 8 seats in F. Tried to buyup as per usual my RPU hasn't and I am sure won't clear. They won't even list me a price on line?! This seems new as well. Went to change seats and I get "online upgrade not available"??!!
Old May 18, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA GS
With those low P and A fares I haven't used an RPU in 3 years.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Been there and done that too Nomand420. We did get our MUA's from EWR to VCE for Sept but coming back from BCN, still waiting and wondering. EWR to LAS and back (the grand children run) they rarely clear and yes, we have used those cheap A and P fares over the past 5 years when they show up. Now with homes in both places bags and weight are not an issue and I want to use up the miles and get back and forth as cheap as I can.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Simple, I asked the gate agent. She looked it up.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:44 pm

First for sale at gate despite 15 people on upgrade list

Flying DEN to ORD today, the gate agent announced that the 1 available first class seat was available for purchase, despite 15 people on upgrade waitlist. Is this new for 2018?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JBlaine
.... Is this new for 2018?
No, first is for sale at purchase, anytime in the reservation listing, at check-in and at the gate.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While it’s rare for UA to publicly announce it, UA’s been selling ToD upgrades up to and including some of the time when gate staffed for years now. I think GAs have some flexibility as when to start the CPUs.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:54 pm

Had no idea. Thx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.