Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA pushing upgrade by RPU instead of upselling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 3MM

Just received an odd email from UA urging me to apply RPUs to flights 2 weeks from now. Is this a first? One of the two relevant segments does show R2 at this moment. Interesting that UA is not saving the FC seats for TOD upgrades. I did not think RPUs represent "debt" in UA's books, unlike award miles. My wife on the same itinerary is 1K also but does not have RPUs in her bank - she did not get the email.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
More like wanting people to use RPU then give out CPU
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Every time I get some email like this advertising upgrade space it basically means my CPU will clear as a 1K.

But then, that's pretty much all RPUs are good for: confirming upgrade space you'd likely get via CPU anyway.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MMProfessor
...Interesting that UA is not saving the FC seats for TOD upgrades....
I don't think UA purposely "saves" seats for TOD upgrades. Every mileage, RPU/GPU, and YBM-up upgrade is UA "not saving the FC seats for TOD upgrades".

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 23, 2017 at 2:29 pm
Old Feb 23, 2017, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I've gotten that e-mail in the past for flights that were R0. I think they just send them if you're booked in Y and have unused RPUs.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:54 am
Suspended

utilize your RPU email

i got a mail today suggesting i use an RPU to an already upgrade M-instant upgrade segment. hmmm

anyone else get these?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Yes..

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 24, 2017 at 10:59 am Reason: Cleanup after merge; thanks for the link
Old Feb 24, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by jasonp622
More like wanting people to use RPU then give out CPU
That and presumably they think it's worth demonstrating that RPUs have value (even if they don't)
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
That and presumably they think it's worth demonstrating that RPUs have value (even if they don't)
I had the opposite happen to me today. I applied an RPU on my SFO-KOA flight for tomorrow and they sent me a TOD offer at T-24. From what I could tell they had 1 F seat that they really want to sell.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by nomad420
I had the opposite happen to me today. I applied an RPU on my SFO-KOA flight for tomorrow and they sent me a TOD offer at T-24. From what I could tell they had 1 F seat that they really want to sell.
for how much? did it get sold?

David
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
for how much? did it get sold?

David
I want to say $309 and not sure if it sold. Strange that it showed only one seat in F but two people apparently higher on the list than I got upgraded immediately at T-24. I know that the seat availability that we see isn't always what is actually there.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
Curious... How did UA 'send' you the TOD?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
And to make sure people who complain about not being able to get upgrades with CPUs can now secure the upgrade with RPUs.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
How Many Empty Seats Does It Take To Clear A RPU?

Just one data point but consider the following:

Flying ORD-LAX this coming MON - 2/27 on UA 169 departing 0644 on 757-300. Applied a RPU on 2/20 (on Q fare) at which time it appeared that there were 9 of 24 seats available up front. Purchase UGs were available but RPUs/Mileage UGs were waitlist only.

Flight status now available for the flight and shows 16 of 24 seats booked with 5 customers upgraded -- both First and Economy seats are available for sale.

Flight opens for checkin in 16 hrs. Guess their expecting very high demand for TODs

Probably should just cancel the RPU and count on a CPU but will stay the course to see just how valuable my RPUs are (or aren't).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.