Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions
Print Wikipost

Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The conversation is nearly 600 posts long, so it may be a bit tough to decode at this point :: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eeds-stop.html

The basic takeaway is that if the travelers are both elite members with the same status level, your optimal choice is probably to buy two separate tickets on two separate reservations.

If one traveler is more elite than the other, there are no perfect options; a close-to-optimal choice is probably to ticket on a single PNR and auto-split at check-in time, as long as you are OK with the companion not getting an automatic upgrade before departure-management time on any subsequent segments.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Thanks all. I also found this which seems like a good summary.

http://hackmytrip.com/2013/02/united...rade-policies/

So basically i have a flight that i already booked with a friend on the itinerary who has no status. So it sounds like its best to use the auto-split option at check - in correct? Or should i split them before hand in hopes of my upgrade clearing at the 48 hour mark?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Companion upgrade

Originally Posted by Dan-
This is the full answer. If (at the gate) you ask the GA, he or she can add your companion wherever he or she chooses in the priority list. I admittedly have taken advantage of this.
On a recent trip, I asked an agent at checkin counter at SJC to add my son to the upgrade list for next day's flights (BOS-EWR and EWA-PIT). He got one of two upgrades and flew in the front for both flights because I got CPUs for both flights. In my case, the agent at SJC was not busy and willing to help. I also met two very nice agents at PIT checkin counter. On the same airport, my son was not allowed to board at my BG 1 (because the original PNR was splitted). This agent was clearly wrong. His excuse was that my son and I should sit at adjacent seats. Both of us sat at middle seats because of the last minute change of flights. I did not argue with this gate agent.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kmxu
On the same airport, my son was not allowed to board at my BG 1 (because the original PNR was splitted).
You attempted to board together and the GA actually turned your son away?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Someone told me that their companion cleared with them at their CPU window and then they were able to add an additional companion to the list once they checked in at the airport. Does the system not track who "sponsors" the upgrade or do gate agents just add them as companions without linking it to a specific person?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 1:18 pm

Need to be on original reservation?

My colleague tried to get me upgraded as his companion at check-in (mco-den). Agent said i had to be on his reservation originally so, since i wasn't, they couldn't make me his companion. True?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beachbuffy
My colleague tried to get me upgraded as his companion at check-in (mco-den). Agent said i had to be on his reservation originally so, since i wasn't, they couldn't make me his companion. True?
False. Anyone can be a companion.

Agent was probably lazy, and thinking it won't clear (long UG list) so why bother.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
Originally Posted by aacharya
False. Anyone can be a companion.

Agent was probably lazy, and thinking it won't clear (long UG list) so why bother.
Not true, if upgrading as a companion on a CPU...

A MileagePlus member may request an upgrade for another traveler using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award, a Global Premier Upgrade or a Regional Premier Upgrade, even if they are not traveling on the same reservation. Waitlist confirmation priority is based on the Premier status of the redeeming account.

In addition, one companion traveling on the same reservation as a Premier member is also eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on select flights, and may be confirmed with the same priority as the Premier member, even on the day of departure. This benefit does not apply to companions traveling on award tickets.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/default.aspx
Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Encountered a strange situation with a companion last week. Was flying EWR-DEN-GUC, both pax were upgraded on EWR-DEN and the connecting DEN-GUC seg was on an XJT 145, so no FC cabin. We did not clear on the returning DEN-EWR (originating at DEN) by the day of departure for the outbound segment, so when I was curiously prompted to upgrade at OLCI for EWR-DEN (even though we had already cleared F at T-96h) I did not proceed with online check-in and simply did so at the airport on a kiosk. Both pax stayed on the same PNR and no upgrades cleared between then and OLCI for the return flight. At OLCI for the return, we checked in, stayed on the same PNR, but were not placed on the upgrade list.

I tried to rectify the situation, but two separate agents told me they could not remove the 'do not upgrade' language from the PNR once inserted, even though they were able to in the past.

Apparently, the 'do not upgrade' command goes into the PNR for downline segs if you do not split the PNR, even when both pax clear all eligible segments on the outbound direction of travel. This gives elites the false dilemma of 'one or none' in terms of companion upgrades for any downline segments even though companion upgrades cleared automatically on an earlier flight.

Another reason to only book one-ways, I suppose.

Last edited by EWR764; Apr 9, 2013 at 2:57 pm
Old Apr 9, 2013, 7:59 pm

I had same issue. Called in the return leg and the agent connected us to IT. We split the pnr and the agent could then remove the do not upgrade note from the reservation and both pnrs. Ask call center to get IT on the line with them.

So, my question about being someone's companion at the gate, since one has to split the pnrs to get a companion upgraded, then we're already not on the same reservation. So not sure why having my collegue add me as companion is any different from a split pnr and showing up adding me at the airport? How would they know? They didn't look at my ticket, just said no.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachbuffy
I had same issue. Called in the return leg and the agent connected us to IT. We split the pnr and the agent could then remove the do not upgrade note from the reservation and both pnrs. Ask call center to get IT on the line with them.

So, my question about being someone's companion at the gate, since one has to split the pnrs to get a companion upgraded, then we're already not on the same reservation. So not sure why having my collegue add me as companion is any different from a split pnr and showing up adding me at the airport? How would they know? They didn't look at my ticket, just said no.
It's different in the system. The split PNR at check-in will still get my companion a very high status (right behind me) on the outbound (and maybe even CPU'd beforehand) and will be the last of the 1Ks on the inbound.

Airplane companions have to fight essentially a battlefield upgrade and reluctant agents who are looking at a very long upgrade list already - so in their mind, adding you is just pointless.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA-1K; Marriott Platinum; National Emerald Exec Elite; Avis President's Club (whoopdidoo)
I had the same problem last week traveling with my son. First leg, LAX-BOS, I used RPUs immediately upon booking and we were upgraded. I used auto check-in for second set of flights (BOS-DEN-DRO) and declined to split PNR. We were not on upgrade list. I made one call and the agent could not figure it out and by that time, FC was nearly booked full so I did not pursue.

Third set of flights (long trip), same thing for GUC-DEN-SNA. I called again and was told I had blocked the upgrade option with auto check-in and declining PNR split. I was not sure what I should have done. The agent told me he could remove the block but only a TA/GA could add us to the upgrade list.

The TA (actually two different TAs the night before and the day of) at GUC was unable to add us and, similarly, FC was filling up and by that time I had spent more time on the phone and with TAs than the time I would spend on the flight so I did not pursue.

Last odd occurrence: GUC-DEN had an aircraft change. Originally, we were in 1C/1D (single cabin) and were booked in those seats until two days prior to departure. Then we were in 19C/D in a two-cabin config. I could not change our seats online; this was >24 hours pre-departure. During my first visit to the TA the night before departure, he was able to move my son back to the front of the plane but not me. Just before departure, the second TA was able to put us in 5 C/D.

I was just very thankful that this trip wasn't a big-deal vacation involving my entire family as I would have been furious with all the crap I had to deal with (unsuccessfully) on this trip....

I am going to have to go back and read this thread carefully to try to understand what I should have done. This air travel started with a near 6-hour delay LAX-BOS on Easter Sunday and the flying part of the trip seemed somewhat jinxed for the remainder of the trip.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airchick
I had the same problem last week traveling with my son. First leg, LAX-BOS, I used RPUs immediately upon booking and we were upgraded. I used auto check-in for second set of flights (BOS-DEN-DRO) and declined to split PNR. We were not on upgrade list. I made one call and the agent could not figure it out and by that time, FC was nearly booked full so I did not pursue.

Third set of flights (long trip), same thing for GUC-DEN-SNA. I called again and was told I had blocked the upgrade option with auto check-in and declining PNR split. I was not sure what I should have done. The agent told me he could remove the block but only a TA/GA could add us to the upgrade list.

The TA (actually two different TAs the night before and the day of) at GUC was unable to add us and, similarly, FC was filling up and by that time I had spent more time on the phone and with TAs than the time I would spend on the flight so I did not pursue.

Last odd occurrence: GUC-DEN had an aircraft change. Originally, we were in 1C/1D (single cabin) and were booked in those seats until two days prior to departure. Then we were in 19C/D in a two-cabin config. I could not change our seats online; this was >24 hours pre-departure. During my first visit to the TA the night before departure, he was able to move my son back to the front of the plane but not me. Just before departure, the second TA was able to put us in 5 C/D.

I am going to have to go back and read this thread carefully to try to understand what I should have done. This air travel started with a near 6-hour delay LAX-BOS on Easter Sunday and the flying part of the trip seemed somewhat jinxed for the remainder of the trip.
You should have agreed to split the PNR. The seat issue is a different story - that's covered in a different thread (random seat changes).
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA-1K; Marriott Platinum; National Emerald Exec Elite; Avis President's Club (whoopdidoo)
Thanks - I haven't travelled with my family very much since 3/3/12. I will split next time.
Old May 15, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
Companion CPU - United finally figure it out....

...how to explain the elites traveling with companions that they are screwed!

Traveling with my son tomorrow, ORD-LAX, CPU did not clear in advance, went to check in at T-24, and was very explicitly told via united.com that if I wanted to be on the upgrade list, then I would have to split PNRs! If I chose to keep a single PNR, neither myself nor my son would be on added to the upgrade standby list.

Of course, this is the outbound flight, so I can't split PNRs because that would make my son ineligible to clear the return(although as I was reading this, if we both don't clear the return by check-in time, only I will have a chance on the upgrade list?)

Is this another enhancement to the elite beneifts that I am supposed to ^???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.