Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid F vs Upgrade - Service Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Paid F vs Upgrade - Service Experiences

I'm on a paid F flight across country and I've noticed a real difference in service vs upgrade. I don't have any data...and maybe it's just the same inconsistency. Has anyone noticed differences in service levels lately paid vs upgrade?

In the hunt for revenue at the airlines I wouldn't be shocked if this was something that was implemented or maybe just encouraged without any formal policy.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Most manifests (across airlines) don't include that detail. I'm almost certain UA's does not.

I doubt you're actually seeing a concerted effort based on the fare paid.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
I'm on a paid F flight across country and I've noticed a real difference in service vs upgrade. I don't have any data...and maybe it's just the same inconsistency. Has anyone noticed differences in service levels lately paid vs upgrade? ...
There should not be any difference in inflight service. Don't believe the FAs have any info of paid vs award vs upgrade.

FAs are provided info on who are GS or 1Ks.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm on a paid F flight across country and I've noticed a real difference in service vs upgrade.
All this means is that you have a more attentive crew than last time you flew upgraded F
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:03 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The only data point I have of this being the case is when I was on an award ticket EWR-IAH. I'm pretty sure I was the only person that didn't pay cash for an F seat, because on the upgrade list my name was the only one cleared, and it was an A319 so it doesn't seem to crazy that the other 7 seats were sold on a monday morning.
Anyway, I was in 2F, so last to get meal order taken. The FA comes over and tells me she only had the egg option left. I looked at her confused (because shouldn't she ask what I want and then go back to the galley and prioritize by status? As far as I could tell there was only 1 GS). She then looked at her sheet, I guess saw that I'm a 1K, then said she had the french toast as well. I said great I'll have that. She hesitated for a second then said, sorry actually I don't have it anymore.
Now its possible there were other 1K's that already ordered it (what happens in that situation?). In the end I just asked for some stroopwafels, but who knows if the reason I didn't get my choice was because of me being on an award or because other 1K's ordered the same thing.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by S.R
Now its possible there were other 1K's that already ordered it (what happens in that situation?). In the end I just asked for some stroopwafels, but who knows if the reason I didn't get my choice was because of me being on an award or because other 1K's ordered the same thing.
It's because the FA didn't follow the rules and simply took orders by row/seat. In 2F on a 319, you got last choice.

This has happened to me as a 1K several times in paid domestic F.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
They don't know who is upgraded unless they are going to the app at door closing and marking the seats on the manifest. Maybe there is indeed one nasty FA out there who would do this, but I'm not seeing it as a fleetwide policy. If you fly enough you get good crews and you get bad crews, your ticket type is just up to chance.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:28 pm

With FA it rarely matters. However, it can matter a lot when dealing with agents during IRROPs (even beyond what is expected). With paid F tickets I've had agents bend the rules to accommodate my work needs (e.g. modifying a round trip itinerary that doesn't include EWR into an itinerary that is technically multi-city because it includes a 24+ hour "layover" at EWR to accommodate my work schedule despite a flight cancellation). I'm guessing that would not happen with award tickets.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by blackllotus
I'm guessing that would not happen with award tickets.
I'd guess you're wrong.

The ability for agents to be flexible like that in IROPS spans paid and award tickets, especially when on UA metal.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
I'm on a paid F flight across country and I've noticed a real difference in service vs upgrade. I don't have any data...and maybe it's just the same inconsistency. Has anyone noticed differences in service levels lately paid vs upgrade?

In the hunt for revenue at the airlines I wouldn't be shocked if this was something that was implemented or maybe just encouraged without any formal policy.
I doubt that during a service they are actually remembering and differentiating...unless you did something good or bad !
Since they implemented the new system last year there is a lot more info available on pax to them. I have a friend who is TATL purser and she told me they know who is who is who with regard to status, MM level, if they are crossing a milestone,pretty sure fare basis too. They may not do anything with the info but is is available.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
17 years as 1k I have found no difference
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I am 99.9% sure the flight attendant's manifest doesn't show who is upgraded and who paid what.

I don't think the print out on the dot-matrix printer has changed since the early 90s with Continental.

They show seat, last name, first initial, and status level. If there is no status, it shows "mileageplus" (used to say "onePass"). If you are neither, it was simply blank.

I saw dozens of these years ago hanging in the galley's on Continental, and what I see currently on UA is the same.

No indication of fare paid, or upgrade.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: BA GGL
It's entirely down to good/trained staff vs not-so-good/untrained staff... Oh, and the route IMO.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:59 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by S.R
...it was an A319 so it doesn't seem to crazy that the other 7 seats were sold on a monday morning.
I've been on A319s AND A320s where the flight attendant announced to the F cabin, in a friendly, service-oriented way, along the lines of (slightly improvised by me below, but the main idea has been accurate 2-3 times)...

"Good morning folks, all 8 (12) of you are either 1K or GS flyers. We appreciate your business and thank you for your loyalty. Now, that pesky meal issue--I'm sorry, but we're just going to go front-to-back today...If you're not too concerned with the meal you get, I'd really appreciate it. Or if you have allergies or dietary restrictions, please let me know right now...We'll do our best to accommodate each of you and thanks for your understanding"

I don't even remember how the meals panned out for me, as it's been a while, but you could tell when those announcements are made that it's going to be a great crew staffing your flight.

-------

As for the original question...I fly mostly in F--with a combination of award (10%), upgraded (25%) and paid (65%) premium cabin. There is ABSOLUTELY no correlation between how I'm sitting in F and service level in the air. On the ground, that's different--I end up with a lot of IRROPS always flying through ORD--I often get pushed to another carrier in F on a paid F ticket--rarely, if ever, happens on an award or upgrade.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler

"Good morning folks, all 8 (12) of you are either 1K or GS flyers. We appreciate your business and thank you for your loyalty. Now, that pesky meal issue--I'm sorry, but we're just going to go front-to-back today...If you're not too concerned with the meal you get, I'd really appreciate it. Or if you have allergies or dietary restrictions, please let me know right now...We'll do our best to accommodate each of you and thanks for your understanding"

I don't even remember how the meals panned out for me, as it's been a while, but you could tell when those announcements are made that it's going to be a great crew staffing your flight.
That's an awesome crew. I normally don't care too much about meals (except breakfast - can't stand eggs) - so I usually pick the healthier item. But as a 1K, I'd hate to overrule someone who really needs their option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.