Search

An 18 year reflection as a MP runner...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
An 18 year reflection as a MP runner...

18 years is a magical number in Judaism. It is the symbol for life. While I've been a MP member since the program began, I have been a mileage chaser for 18 years. So I will allow this anniversary to provide some reflection.

With that, I offer 5 essential truths about flying United that I have learned over the years:

1) Attitude goes a long way. So often I read other posts about "lounge dragons" and "surly flight attendants." Honesty, while some are nice or better than others, I haven't yet come across the monsters others talk about. I'm not saying they don't exist. But I truly believe that much of our experience lies in the attitude with which we approach life. I am, in general, a happy person. I smile. I say please and thank you. And, yes.... I get annoyed when I am not greeted by the FA with a smile. But nevertheless, I make a point to say hello. I think it makes a difference.

2) It's better having my carry-on under the seat (impeding my leg room) than in the overhead bin. Lots of reasons for this. First, I don't have to worry about boarding early for overhead space. Second, I don't have to get up ever few minutes to retrieve something. And third, I need my pen so I can sign Hemisphere's magazine.

3) I used to fly for the miles. But I don't need them anymore. I am now flying on my day off - just because I really love flying. I like looking out the window. I like the people watching. I get lots of work done. I catch up on movies and TV shows. I explore new airports. It's just what I love to do!

4) Airplane food back in the day was no better and no worse. We often talk about how on LAX-LAS flights, there was steak in coach and how incredible it was. I got news .... It wasn't. It was actually pretty mediocre. What people are really saying is that there was more food on shorter flights in all classes of service. True. But it doesn't mean it was fine dining!

5) You never know who is sitting next to you. I am a shy person, and I rarely talk with my seat mate. But I am envious of those who can. I often overhear really interesting conversations, and I wish I were not so quiet. I think I am missing out on a lot.
SkyHarbor, EWR764 and BThumme like this.

Last edited by zrs70; Feb 9, 2017 at 11:49 pm
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70
18 years is a magical number in Judaism.
Oh, it's a magical number alright.

Old Feb 10, 2017, 1:01 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
I think your first point is by far the greatest truth in flying today. Travel today is stressful, airports are seemly always crowed, security requirements can be frustrating at times and the plane load factors are consistently very high. My best flights are always the ones where I am in a positive frame of mind regardless of the circumstances. A positive attitude is often contagious, like you I am generally a happy person and I'll add an optimist.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC

1) Attitude goes a long way. So often I read other posts about "lounge dragons" and "surly flight attendants." Honesty, while some are nice or better than others, I haven't yet come across the monsters others talk about ... I think it makes a difference.

3) I used to fly for the miles. But I don't need them anymore. I am now flying on my day off - just because I really love flying. I like looking out the window. I like the people watching. I get lots of work done. I catch up on movies and TV shows. I explore new airports. It's just what I love to do!

These. As I've said often in other threads, UA has always been fantastic to me, and to my family. The little things especially. FA's blowing bubbles on descent and landing for my kids; playing with them while I take a bathroom break; staggering meals as needed to help. Pilots chatting as they walk to or from a flight. Either I've been incredibly lucky over 2 million flown miles, or your point holds and going in with a sunny outlook makes a difference. I know which I'm betting on.

As for flying - I'm with you. I love it. I always get crazy looks at work when I say that rather than go to the beach to get away, I'd prefer to be in a metal tube with a window seat. Even in coach - though status and miles mean that rarely happens on long-hauls.

You reminded me of a short trip report I wrote (linked here) about an LAX-SFO flight at the end of 2012. Nothing happened, and yet everything did, and it reminded me how much I just love flying.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Excellent Post zrs70!^

I have never been a mileage runner since I joined the program more than a generation ago. I love flying and enjoy the things mentioned in the OP.

I am lucky as I fly a lot because of work, and will miss it when there is no need to travel.

Hope there is another 18 years of happy flying!

Congratulations on the 18th anniversary!
Old Feb 10, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
While you're on travel thinking about other things, you often run into a decent human being. You, sir, seem to be one.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
2) It's better having my carry-on under the seat (impeding my leg room) than in the overhead bin. Lots of reasons for this. First, I don't have to worry about boarding early for overhead space. Second, I don't have to get up ever few minutes to retrieve something. And third, I need my pen so I can sign Hemisphere's magazine.

All good observations and advice from the OP, and I have come to like having my carry on backpack under the seat in front of me for the same reasons as the OP, and additionally because it helps me sleep on overnight flights in Y by serving as a prop against the window or on the tray table.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
And fourth, it only needs to impede your leg room on takeoff and landing. If you grab it and place it against your own seat below your knees, you can stretch out in comfort for the flight.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I have to say that #1 is the only point that I agree with, and that's a 100% agreement. The others are personal preferences, and while I'm glad you've been able to encapsulate and embrace yours, they differ almost diametrically with mine.

Airplane food back in the day was no better and no worse.
18 years is hardly "back in the day". Go back further and it's a different story. Back in the 80s, on TWA's L-1011 at least, they had actual grills in First Class. I remember eating freshly grilled fish (along with the chilled vodka and caviar) on my first flight in F. If you don't think that was any better than today's pre-packaged garbage, I feel sory for you.

Of course, the F seats were basically what domestic F is these days, so the hard product certainly has come a long way.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 7:58 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
I am exactly like you and what you have posted is so true. Regarding your #5 item, perhaps one day we will be seated side by side and one of us will have the nerve to strike up a conversation, and it will be one that we both enjoy.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
That would be nice.. If only I wasn't 6' 7" with legs as long some countries' coastlines. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Your points 2 and 3 really resonate with me. I'm a dedicatged onebagger. I'm actually typing this from the CLE United Club about to depart on CLE-EWR-BOM-COK-BOM-FRA-MAD-FRA-HAM-FRA-ORD-CLE... all with a 26L Goruck GR1 bag for exactly the reason you outline.

Point 3 is something that changed recently. I've always had to travel quite a bit... but the past few years have really ratcheted up. I always used to hate flying, but now I don't mind so much anymore. I have a very demanding job, and find that my time in the air is one of the few moments where I can truely slow down and catch up. On work, on movies, on sleep. I'm already looking forward to 10 hours of uninterrupted sleep on the EWR leg.

Thanks for pointing out the bright side!

18 years is a magical number in Judaism. It is the symbol for life. While I've been a MP member since the program began, I have been a mileage chaser for 18 years. So I will allow this anniversary to provide some reflection.

With that, I offer 5 essential truths about flying United that I have learned over the years:

1) Attitude goes a long way. So often I read other posts about "lounge dragons" and "surly flight attendants." Honesty, while some are nice or better than others, I haven't yet come across the monsters others talk about. I'm not saying they don't exist. But I truly believe that much of our experience lies in the attitude with which we approach life. I am, in general, a happy person. I smile. I say please and thank you. And, yes.... I get annoyed when I am not greeted by the FA with a smile. But nevertheless, I make a point to say hello. I think it makes a difference.

4) Airplane food back in the day was no better and no worse. We often talk about how on LAX-LAS flights, there was steak in coach and how incredible it was. I got news .... It wasn't. It was actually pretty mediocre. What people are really saying is that there was more food on shorter flights in all classes of service. True. But it doesn't mean it was fine dining!

5) You never know who is sitting next to you. I am a shy person, and I rarely talk with my seat mate. But I am envious of those who can. I often overhear really interesting conversations, and I wish I were not so quiet. I think I am missing out on a lot.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC

Lot's of time on RJs and I always try to get on the FAs good side with a Hello and a smile. I try to set it up that I know what I'm doing and I'm not going to be hassle for them. Works better with the more experienced FAs.

I think you have the Stockholm-of-the-Sky Syndrome.....

The utter oddity to me is that sometimes I could write an autobiography of the person next to me and other times I couldn't pick them out of a line up. I'm actually more of a listener/asker than a talker, so it probably is just more if the person next to me wants to chat.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Excellent post, zrs70.

I've been mileage-running since 2003. In fact, the person who introduced me to FlyerTalk in 2004 was someone I met in the Silver Kris Lounge at Singapore when I was on my first SIN run. It is not an exaggeration to say that mileage running, and the value I've derived from FlyerTalk, have changed my life.

After all this time, sitting on the plane is still magical. Few experiences are more enjoyable for me than sitting by the window, watching a movie and munching on Pringles, after a long week at work.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Great post. I was a much more frequent flyer back in the 90's, and I think I may have started to feel a little more "entitled". Age, experience, and a number of years without status (until the last couple of years as a Silver) have made me a little more appreciative of the perquisites. I do enjoy flying, and (at least in recent years) try to go out of my way to be friendly to the flight attendants. This attitude is always reciprocated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.