Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it better? After 2 years, a pensive return...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it better? After 2 years, a pensive return...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by PushingTin
Upgrades are over. I'd like to hear your experience coming back in cold how the upgrade buy up offers work for you.

It's a miles program right now. When I check in at the CLub and the they do the "Thank you for being a 1K", I almost think it is a taunt.
Originally Posted by gre
Oh, and I have not had an RPU clear in 3 years.
I wanted to highlight both of these comments, because they reflect exactly how I feel about United, it no longer offers complementary upgrades. The few that are not TODed or sold as cheap F go to GS or a random 1K.

So when I go to buy I can (1) buy AS and have a ok shot at an upgrade, (2) buy DL and have an ok shot at an upgrade (on many routes I will be flying) or (3) fly UA and sit in Y. And I say this as someone who is of basically equal level in all three programs.

Basically all I really get at this point from my status in MP is E+ (which I also get on DL and AS) and some miles that are less and less usable. E.g. Just looked at going SFO-MUC on a mileage ticket. United will let me fly (with a connection) in J for 220,000 miles, Delta will let me fly for 285,000. Neither are very appetizing options for me...

Bottom line, if someone is looking at changing to United, they ought to have their head examined if they are doing it for MileagePlus at this point....
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
If you left 2 years ago, you left at probably the worst possible time. Airlines go in cycles. You rode the wave all the way down, and then jumped off right when it started to go back up. UA is the airline to jump on board now. It's been on a upward trajectory for some time, and one can make a strong case that it's the best airline in the U.S. AA is about a year or two behind UA, but it's a good one to jump on too. DL would be the one to jump off of now. They've hit their peak, and they're starting to slip.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by minnyfly
UA is the airline to jump on board now. It's been on a upward trajectory for some time, and one can make a strong case that it's the best airline in the U.S.
So was said by Jeff and his crew in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015.... Its amazing how much improvement there has been at United since 2011, just one big upward trajectory of "changes you will like" .....
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by blueman2
I am historically very critical of UA. But my view is UA is better now under Oscar, and is heading more in the right direction than anytime in the past 5 years. So yes, come back in, the water is fine.
I agree and am coming back too after two years.

The crews seem happier, and the soft product has improved noticeably.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:47 pm
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Originally Posted by Madone59

The crews seem happier, and the soft product has improved noticeably.
Wow! You're a lot easier going and more easily pleased than I am.

The happier crews are probably ex-CO, and in my experience, likely due to exposure, they're slowly but surely catching the UA crankiness. The breakfast snickerdoodle-wafflecone thing is OK but it doesn't exactly make up for years of abuse. And the personal device free entertainment choices are beyond pathetic (particularly in view of the fact that the on-demand movie choices on international flights are pretty good).

Also, even tough I'm invariably in 20 A or F domestically, the new plastic 737 seats are killing my back. I am, however, finally used to the landing shower that the exit door always provides.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have no qualms with UA's service, it's dismal UX service that is driving me away.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA
My experience is that UA is better than it was at the worst of the post merger....it got almost okay for a while, but I've had some issues recently. I don't think AA or DL are that much better though.

For me, it got horrible, then got a little better, and then kind of sank back into 'meh-ugh' again. I think there's a lot of unhappy campers out of the IAH base. I hear its 12 years of experience for a line now.

I do loathe the "Fischer Price" seats on the new planes. I think you guys call them the 'slim line' seats.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recently took my first paid biz class ticket on UA in 6 years. I'd been a 1K 7 or 8 years in a row up until 2011 and then left for AA and was an EXP for 7 or 8 years. The combo of AA miles being really hard to redeem for anything reasonable plus UA launching a late night non-stop PVG-SFO got me to give them a try again.

I would say that the in flight experience is pretty much identical to AA with maybe a slight edge to UA thanks to the gel pillow and pajamas. In the past year I've flown BA, CX, EK, LH, AA, CA, MU, SQ, TG, and UA long haul biz class. To be honest, if there is a flat bed seat they are all pretty much the same. The same is true in economy class I'm guessing.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Yes, the waffle cookie. First saw those on LH where the FA told me to unwrap it and let it sit on top of my warm coffee to warm and steam it. mmmmmm, good.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by gre
I'll agree with the coffee and scotch, and add beer.

That said "better" is relative. You'll endure the same miserable UA crews on old UA metal. And the general incompetence hasn't changed. For example, on my last flight we boarded and then waited for 45 minutes in freezing weather for the AC to be fixed (before heading out to subzero DEN). On the flight before that we boarded and waited for over an hour at IAD for maintenance to find batteries for the emergency bullhorn. On the flight before that we boarded and waited an hour for the pilots to show up (they were on an incoming flight so it was obviously known that they would be late because the flight was late).

While I stay with UA I try to do all my TATL on LH.

Oh, and I have not had an RPU clear in 3 years.
I will say "missing crew" delays at major hubs is something United lets happen way too often, and it just mystifies me how this can happen so often.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec, UA Gold
OP here with an update:

Having flown:
One mainline (DEN-PHX)
One UX (DEN-YYZ)
Two Codeshares (AC DEN-YYZ, NZ LAX-SYD)

General impression is that things ARE better when it comes to the basics (ontime arrival/departure, customer service, delivery of checked baggage).

Mainline is still better than UX. And the international codeshare carriers still edge out UA. Mileage Plus seems far more complex than when I left (Segments and PQDs and Operated Flights oh my!)

But, I've not yet found a snarky employee (they all seem so much happier) - and both me and my bags made it on-time or early - which is not what I experienced 2 years ago when I left!

Last edited by sean5280; Feb 22, 2017 at 1:08 pm
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: UA1K
i do both AS and UA. on the service side, i feel AS blows UA away. hard/soft products are kind of a wash (except the drinks on AS i enjoy over UA). but the upgrade % on AS blows UA out of the water.

it really depends what you are looking for.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Gold Status, Delta Platinum AMEX, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, SPG Preferred
I also now live in DEN. UA never did anything awful to me per say even during the dark times of the merger in 2012-2013. I guess I got lucky, but having been following the merger pretty well I didn't like the path they were going down when Smisek was in charge. I appreciate Oscar moving the needle along, but I for one am not ready to come back. Moves like still having a lot of sCO 737s with beat up interiors, the HD 777s, slimline seat Airbuses, streaming issues, still many E145s on long routes are enough reasons for me to me to continue to avoid United. Catering seems to have been a lot better recently in F, even if consistency is still an issue based on photo postings here.

Recently chose AA over UA on DEN-DFW for work. It was better than I expected for sure.

Originally Posted by PushingTin
Yes, the waffle cookie. First saw those on LH where the FA told me to unwrap it and let it sit on top of my warm coffee to warm and steam it. mmmmmm, good.
A cookie is not going to make up for operational incompetence though.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by N623DL

A cookie is not going to make up for operational incompetence though.
How about a cookie plus $150 ETC?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Gold Status, Delta Platinum AMEX, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, SPG Preferred
Originally Posted by transportprof
How about a cookie plus $150 ETC?
Didn't they take these comps away for a while when Smisek was in-charge?

I get jacked around by operational incompetence, the last thing I want is $150 for another UA flight when it could very well happen again. Comped DTV, meals, drinks in-flight right after the delay would make up for a rocky start.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.