Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
The evidence of a mass exodus of HVF here is scant here and badly confirmation ally biased.
Errrrr????
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
All the metrics to measure this are well defined.

The evidence of a mass exodus of HVF here is scant here and badly confirmation ally biased.
The metrics can be well defined, but are they accurately measuring what they're supposed to? If you push away a customer who spends $20,000 on a mix of tickets (some high cost, some low cost), but the average is middle of the road, is that the right thing to do, and what is the cost to replace him with another or several other customers?

Whether or not UA is losing HVFs, their PRASM performance is weaker than it should be, which means whatever they're doing is wrong.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
UA, not so much. They announced TWO Billion dollars in cost cuts
First, I refer you to my long standing position: I am a UA Flyer primarily because of my SFO base. UA meets my needs from every perspective as a frequent flyer, more often than not, and I anticipate continuing my run of 1K / Plat for as long as I continue to live where I live and travel for business and pleasure.

Now, on to my post!

When did UA announce the $2B in cost cutting?
Do you recall the specific elements (breakdown) that made up the total $ figure?
What date did they complete the $2B in cost cutting? Or do you think it continues today?

This '$2B in cuts!!! OMG !!!' that critics like to roll out is similar to the 'John Rainey thinks elites are overentitled' mantra that has also passed it's expiration date (in my opinion).

The environment is dynamic, things are continuing to change. What is the situation today, and what are your thoughts on and response to this situation?

Some examples of recent changes that I think are positive, others may disagree:

- North American premium cabin menu refresh (including UAX)
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...st/dining.aspx
- Improved fresh options for BoB
- Personal Device Entertainment (still need to work on power to all seats)
- Wifi - late to the game, catching up though. If you look at this page, it indicates that all fleets will be completed by November '15 (including RJ's):
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...i/default.aspx
- The new Premium Check in / Security area at SFO
- SFO T3 improvements, T3E especially
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just because UA spins something as positive, does not mean it is.

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
- North American premium cabin menu refresh (including UAX)
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...st/dining.aspx
Reductions in meals on hundreds of flights; serving coach meals in First Class but on plates.

- Improved fresh options for BoB
Changing a menu that's been in place for 4 years.

- Personal Device Entertainment (still need to work on power to all seats)
No PTVs on new planes like their competitors.

- Wifi - late to the game, catching up though. If you look at this page, it indicates that all fleets will be completed by November '15 (including RJ's):
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...i/default.aspx
Catching up to the competition with a product that's not unified, with no annual or cross-carrier purchase options (e.g., A Gogo annual pass user can use their Gogo account on AA, DL, AS, VX, etc.).

- The new Premium Check in / Security area at SFO
Baggage self-tagging for Premium customers.

- SFO T3 improvements, T3E especially
While they consolidated the T1 and T3 mess, I believe this is a total of fewer gates than PMUA + PMCO had combined.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:45 am

[Unduly personalized text edited by Moderator per FT Rule 12.]

Originally Posted by channa
Reductions in meals on hundreds of flights;
I know you love to roll this out, and it may even in fact be true.

But, what about the flights (it may be hundreds, or thousands) that now:

a) Have a meal that did not have one before
b) Have additional choices for meals (additional entress choices)
c) Are Express flights that formerly had nothing that will have a meal
- and I'll throw this in, even though it is not a 'meal':
d) The much improved snack selection on the flights that are snack basket only

When you count the 'hundreds of flights' that have a reduction in meals, I assume you are referring to flights that used to have meal service, but are now in the time windows that UA no longer serves meals?

- Between 1:30 PM and 3:59 PM
- After 8:01 or 9:01 PM (depending upon distance)

Please clarify.

United's current Premium Dining guidelines

Mainline
00–799 miles (Approximately 1–2:20 hours)
These flights feature light breakfast refreshments on flights departing before 9:59 a.m.
A selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit on flights departing after 10 a.m.

800–1,499 miles (Approximately 2:20–4 hours)
Full meal service with two entree choices on most flights departing between 5 a.m. and 8 p.m.
On flights departing between 1:30 p.m. and 3:59 p.m. and all flights departing after 8:01 p.m., a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit are offered between traditional meal times.

1,500-2,299 miles (Approximately 4-5:20 hours)
Full meal service on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m. and includes three entree choices on flights that provide breakfast, lunch or dinner.
On flights departing after 9:01 p.m., a selection of premium packaged snacks and fresh fruit are offered.

Longer than 2,300 miles (Approximately 5:20 hours or longer)
Trans-continental and Hawaii flights departing before 9 p.m. offer a full meal service, which includes multi-course meals with three entree choices on flights that provide breakfast, lunch or dinner; a selection of premium packaged snacks and fresh fruit as a mid-flight snack on longer-haul Hawaii flights; and a pre-arrival refreshment or snack on all flights.

p.s.® Premium Service
Full meal service, which includes international quality multi-course meals, with three entree choices on flights that provide breakfast, lunch or dinner.

United Express

United is introducing premium cabin meal service on United Express flights on Embraer EMB 170 and EMB 175 aircraft on March 1, 2015, and on Bombardier CRJ 700 and Q400 aircraft in April of 2015.

Less than 199 miles (Approximately 1 hour or less)
Beverage of your choice served with a premium biscotti on flights departing before 9:59 a.m. or a premium snack mix on flights departing after 10 a.m.

200–799 miles (Approximately 1–2:20 hours)
These flights feature light breakfast refreshments on flights departing before 9:59 a.m. or a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit on flights departing after 10 a.m.

More than 800 miles (Approximately 2:20 hours or longer)
On short- and medium-haul flights, we offer a full meal service with two entree choices on most flights departing between 5 a.m. and 8 p.m.
On flights departing between 1:30 p.m. and 3:59 p.m. and all flights departing after 8:01 p.m., a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit are offered between traditional meal times.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 2, 2015 at 2:03 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[Moderator edit of quote since deleted as unduly personalized and deletion of member's reply thereto.]

I know you love to roll this out, and it may even in fact be true.

When you count the 'hundreds of flights' that have a reduction in meals, I assume you are referring to flights that used to have meal service, but are now in the time windows that UA no longer serves meals?

- Between 1:30 PM and 3:59 PM
- After 8:01 or 9:01 PM (depending upon distance)

Please clarify.
Right. Every redeye, many afternoon midcons, and some late evening flights is a lot of flights. I haven't counted them up, but it's definitely over 100. I have a late EWR-SFO next month with no meal in F.

But, what about the flights (it may be hundreds, or thousands) that now:

a) Have a meal that did not have one before
b) Have additional choices for meals (additional entress choices)
c) Are Express flights that formerly had nothing that will have a meal
- and I'll throw this in, even though it is not a 'meal':
d) The much improved snack selection on the flights that are snack basket only
What about them?

They touted an improvement while slashing service on hundreds of flights. They didn't market it as a redistribution.

But overall,

a) the added meals on shorter flights is a positive for those flights.
b) the additional entree choice is nice, but keep in mind the quality remains poor. My last first class breakfast was literally the same breakfast they sold in Y for $9.99 (though it was served on a plate, not in plastic)
c) Express flights are catching up to the competition. DL and AA had proper food on their Express flights for years.
d) I wouldn't necessarily classify the snack basket as "much improved." The quality of the products in the basket is comparable to the old basket, and the basket is what's served on the flights that had their meals removed.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 2, 2015 at 2:04 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Right. Every redeye, many afternoon midcons, and some late evening flights is a lot of flights. I haven't counted them up, but it's definitely over 100. I have a late EWR-SFO next month with no meal in F.
Is AA or DL serving full dinner in F for 10pm departures ?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
In 2013.

Do you recall the specific elements (breakdown) that made up the total $ figure?
They didn't break the dollar amounts down by category but this is what they broadly stated:
The $2 billion in annual savings by 2017 are expected to come from cutting fuel consumption by flying more fuel-efficient planes, increasing productivity with new technology and improving maintenance procedures, among other efforts, airline officials said.

Meanwhile, United officials said they want to increase by $700 million the revenue the carrier generates from bag check fees, onboard meals and entertainment and access to airport lounges and roomier seats. The airline estimates it will collect $2.8 billion in such revenue in 2013.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...119-story.html

It also projected a 15% to 20% increase in employee productivity, in part by having fliers tag their own checked bags and swipe their own boarding passes to get on a plane. Officials declined to comment on any possible staffing changes.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...07693313317838

What date did they complete the $2B in cost cutting? Or do you think it continues today?
It will take until 2017.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VickyKing
No. But again, this was marketed as an improvement. It was not marketed as a competitive alignment, or a redistribution of catering budget, or whatever.

When something is hyped with fanfare as they've done, I don't think anyone was expecting to see hundreds of flights with downgraded service as they've done.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
i don't know, but we used to get that mediterannean flight on a transcon red eye. i was looking forward to it. and i got a snack basket. i was not happy. oh well. i didn't buy the ticket. it was a reroute from AA who had atc issues and kindly put me on UA booked in full Y so i stole someone's upgrade. and i got a snack basket. pathetic. hub to hub (sfo/ewr)
Old Apr 2, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I really should have known better.

Flying SAN to SFO today on UA 526. Scheduled for departure at 11:57.

Chose United due to the departure time. Fare was competitive.

Delayed 223 minutes for incoming aircraft from IAD. 3-1/2 hours.

Yeah, United, you have my back.

Why wouldn't I leave this airline???

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 2, 2015 at 3:56 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed. http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:14 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
First, I refer you to my long standing position: I am a UA Flyer primarily because of my SFO base. UA meets my needs from every perspective as a frequent flyer, more often than not, and I anticipate continuing my run of 1K / Plat for as long as I continue to live where I live and travel for business and pleasure.
Good for you if it works for you.

I am former IAH flyer, now DFW only thanks to UA :-: shrinking :-: at DAL

Seems that Virgin, Southwest and Delta see the value of flying business pax closer to downtown where they want to be, UA, not so much.

Once again, shrinking to profitability

And UA would actually work for me, except that they can't keep their planes on schedule, or just plain flying.

They've mostly done OK domestically, well except when I connect to an int'l flight, then they have a bad habit of going MX which causes me to miss my connection

Looks like tom911 beat me to it ^

The environment is dynamic, things are continuing to change. What is the situation today, and what are your thoughts on and response to this situation?
UA is reacting to competition, only spending $$$ when they see that DL, AA and others, including AS provide things they skimped on.

Meals on larger RJs, WiFi on larger RJs - UA is rolling this out two years after competition has pretty much completed this.

Ditto for meals in RJs

Some examples of recent changes that I think are positive, others may disagree:
Again, UA reacting to what pax want and see on competition.

Just because UA spins something as positive, does not mean it is.
So sadly true. See retreat from DAL many, many other missteps my UA.

Catching up to the competition with a product that's not unified, with no annual or cross-carrier purchase options (e.g., A Gogo annual pass user can use their Gogo account on AA, DL, AS, VX, etc.).

channa
, you can be a little over the top, but by and large, your critique is mostly accurate. Sadly so ...

Originally Posted by tom911
In 2013.
Thanks for posting, had a busy day at work with no time for cyberloafing and posting on FT
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:58 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Do you guys seriously want to eat dinner at 10 Pm and/or can't plan in advance for this?

The last thing I want on a Redeye is a cart cleaning up/down no the aisles.

This is a change I liked.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
Why would somebody want to be served food on a regional jet?

Go to a restaurant. Airplane food, regardless of class, is not very enjoyable.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you guys seriously want to eat dinner at 10 Pm and/or can't plan in advance for this?
It doesn't matter.

I don't want to be told something is an improvement, when something is being taken away.

Many people would call that being lied to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.