Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at IAH [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at IAH [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:23 am

A little on the tight side, but definitely doable as IAH-LAX will be out of C or E, which is immediately next to customs (although the far end of C is a significant 15 minute walk).

If you have Global Entry and/or not checking a bag then I would feel a lot more comfortable.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
It is a bit tight but I would go for it if I were in your shoes. Some other factors to consider - the London flight comes in around 1600 and there are some Mexico and Central America flights coming in around the same time. Good news is the immigration folks at IAH do have more agents open additional lanes when they have multiple international flights coming in at the same time.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:43 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
I would go for it. The walk from the plane to passport control is medium/long so if you're in good physical shape it should be easy to pass everyone from your flight.

Global Entry and/or lack of a checked bag would make things easier.

There is at least one more LAX-IAH flight depending on the day of the week so you will have alternatives if you end up missing the connection.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:46 am

another question

Thank you both for your advice, but i have another random question... if i decide to check my bag (haven't even thought about packing yet), I'll have to get it back to clear customs, won't i?

Basically, if it becomes apparent that i won't make it, can my bag get stuck with me? I'm a little leery of my bag riding the LAX luggage carousel until i finally arrive.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 2:46 am

Here's a tangental, but hopefully related couple of questions.

I'm going to London in just under 2 months (3rd week of May). On my return, I have a 94 minute connection in Chicago heading to San Francisco. I am in row 1 of the LHR-ORD flight.

I'm now thinking maybe I should just get Global Entry (the odds are good we'll be going to Cancun for Thanksgiving and likely connecting though Houston, so it would be useful there too I think).

Do I have time before my trip?

If I send the application in this week, how long before they contact me, how soon after they do can I get the interview, and finally how long after the interview does it take to be able to use the system?

Thanks much!

Abby
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: United 1K, 1M
I have never connected at IAH and need advice on the best way to get from the arrival gate to the departure gate. The arrival is 1200 at E15 and departure is 1300 at B84L. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
UAX to Mainline in IAH - is 36 min too Short a Connection?

I just noticed on an itinerary that I have 36 minutes to make a connection UAX to UA at IAH. I've never flown UAX (or Continental Connection) in to IAH. Is this enough time? I'm connecting to SFO then PEK, so missing the flight would be a bigger pain than I normally care about.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I wouldn't do it. And if you have to get from Terminal A/B to C/E, forget it.
IAH is huge.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
You'd need to take the train between terminals. If your flight is even 10 minutes late (or arrives at B84) you won't make it.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
It'll be tough, but possible. I've made tighter connections in IAH, but you need to know the airport. (I remember one time before they extended the terminalink, I had a 20 minute A-C from NW to CO.. I left security, took the disney train, cleared security, and made my flight with 5 minutes to spare. I wouldn't recommend it..)

UAX comes in at Term A or B, depending on if it's a prop or a jet. Props arrive at A, Jets at B. You can get from any A gate to the airside Terminalink train in about 7-10 minutes max. B is the same except for B84- B84 gates will take 10-15 mins.

CO Mainline leaves from Term C or E. Take a look at this map: http://system.gocampaign.com/file/484145

The Terminalink will drop you at Terminal C north or Terminal D (which is the fastest way to E). You'll have to book it if your incoming flight is late at all. It would probably be a good idea to tell the GA when you arrive that you're heading to the connecting flight, and ask her to phone ahead for you.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Possible? Yes.

Smart given the onward trip involved? No.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Possible? Yes.

Smart given the onward trip involved? No.
This ^

Clearly disastrous for your itin if you don't make your connection. Not worth risking it.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I've done it, barely.

And I would suggest avoiding it at all costs. I literally ran the whole time (well aside from the train), and had to take a powercart. Boarding on my connecting flight was nearly finished, and I was soaked. IAH is rather large, and can be confusing if you haven't been there often.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by USITTExec
Is this enough time?
30 minutes is considered the minimum "legal" domestic connection time at IAH. That said: study a map of IAH with tram stops and gate locations, try to sit in the very front of your UAX flight, and be prepared (if necessary) to run like Forrest Gump...

Actually if you check luggage that might work to your advantage, as UACO will hold planes a few minutes for late arriving bags. IMO you should not gate check luggage on your UAX flight though as that can add several minutes to your transfer time.

SunLover
Old Apr 18, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Well this confirmed what I was thinking. Happily it's jet service not prop, I'll have only my briefcase and checked luggage to PEK. The ticket was booked for me, but now I'll need to play some charm and see if I can get a better routing. Thanks for the advice. This is the best thing FT gives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.