Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So [not] excited for my first flight as a GS {in economy}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So [not] excited for my first flight as a GS {in economy}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
there is a theme in FT that people seem to despise people who fly on OPM. i.
I don't know why you would say that. A lot of us have a significant component of our travel on OPM. That is not the discussion. We were only explaining why a GS might not be able to afford (or be unwilling to pay for) a business ticket for personal travel. There is a reason business class is called 'business' class - many who travel in it are traveling for business - often on other peoples money.

With the introduction of PQDs it is increasingly difficult for many to obtain the higher elite status (Platinum or 1K) on leisure travel alone (except for those wealthy enough to buy expensive fares with their own money).

my spend wasn't that high.
How high was you spend or how much did you travel last year?

Last edited by ani90; Jan 29, 2017 at 12:05 pm Reason: Correction
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Getting Personal

A reminder, FT is intent to be a resource for travellers and their (in this case UA) travel related issues and "be a friendly, helpful and collegial place."

Additionally,
Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
This includes the OP or a group of posters, such as the GS community. Let "discuss the issue, not the poster" be the guide.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ani90
I don't know why you would say that. A lot of us have a significant component of our travel on OPM. That is not the discussion. We were only explaining why a GS might not be able to afford (or be unwilling to pay for) a business ticket for personal travel. There is a reason business class is called 'business' class - many who travel in it are traveling for business - often on other peoples money.

With the introduction of PQMs it is increasingly difficult for many to obtain the higher elite status (Platinum or 1K) on leisure travel alone (except for those wealthy enough to buy expensive fares with their own money).

How high was you spend or how much did you travel last year?
it's not this thread, it's years of reading FT - there are many voices who despise those who spend OPM

I spent just under 40k last yr. almost all of it international business class but mostly p fares. one d and one j but the j was a AA invol
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:09 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
it's not this thread, it's years of reading FT - there are many voices who despise those who spend OPM

I spent just under 40k last yr. almost all of it international business class but mostly p fares. one d and one j but the j was a AA invol
UA's GS qualification process is a "black box" but there is much speculation on that process in
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...iscussion.html
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ns-2017-a.html
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ions-only.html
plus the 2016 threads.

Let's not start another thread on the issue.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ani90
With the introduction of PQMs it is increasingly difficult for many to obtain the higher elite status (Platinum or 1K) on leisure travel alone (except for those wealthy enough to buy expensive fares with their own money).
I think you mean PQD, but there are waivers for that (credit cards and foreign residents) as well.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
When I fly for personal travel, I travel as cheaply as possible. Although when that's a family of 4, there's no such thing as cheap. All of our trips are award miles + GPU/RPU.

I definitely feel OPs pain of an extra $1000 for a economy W fare (I'm assuming it's a personal trip).
Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I think you mean PQD, but there are waivers for that (credit cards and foreign residents) as well.
Thanks. Corrected.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
how does someone know if they were "granted" the status versus earned the hard way...

this is a genuine question, just seeking to understand your viewpoint. what do you mean by vulnerable? not tryign to argue, just trying to clarify what you mean by that.
Oh no, let's not get started on gifted GS....

Someone eventually is going to look at how the majority of people get nothing out of FF programs and the features are rarely delivered. That most GS are probably on some else's dime for the flights that get them the benefits, but the status follows them, not their business is overlooked when every level is getting some. You make it so that the GS, the 1%, are getting effectively a kick back and you leave it so that the benefits of the program have to claimed or taxed. With the anti elite fervor on both sides, that is a pretty easy target.

The devaluation of miles, the scarcity of upgrades, the queering of the system towards top elites only, then you add in the new Basic Economy fares... not a pretty picture.

Now, I bet the majors would love to get rid of their FF programs and their expectations and just monetize and cash flow everything, for now while the economy is hot. They are scrambling to re-cartel the industry before the next big slow down.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
i was just thinking of the irony of sitting in back for my first flight as a GS.
I have never been nor will ever be GS.
If I could spend that kind of money would NOT fly UA
but......... I agree with you. It is very ironical that a newly minted GS who is supposed to be the cream of the cream of UA will be in coach. E+ is same crap as E- with 4 extra inches.

Do you have a "special" phone number you can call?
Just call and ask very nicely if anything can be done.
Maybe you could upgrade with miles or they could make an exception.
You have nothing to loose - if you are very nice and laugh it off with the CSR.

UA is not the best in customer service but I have been pleasantly surprised before (not in asking upgrades but other things)
Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by PushingTin
This is where the GS program is vulnerable. As benefits for everyone but GSers dry up the kick back program that UA runs with GSers employers buying expensive fares and the GSers getting free upgrades for their personal travel becomes even more apparent.

I have no patience or compassion for GS complaining about travel in Y. You guys are supposed to pay expensive fares, that is what separates you from us lowly 1Ks.
hilrious.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I don't quite understand the purpose of this thread. I know GS flyers do sit in Y (including myself) more often than one may think.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I don't quite understand the purpose of this thread. I know GS flyers do sit in Y (including myself) more often than one may think.
+1
Was sorta of thinking the same thing.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Exactly. This is such a dead topic. Some don't understand that just because you're GS doesn't mean you usually travel on paid premium or Y/B economy, and are not expected to either. It's like those that say rich people only fly private charter vs international first.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 29, 2017 at 11:14 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the posters
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I tried to make that clear if you read the very first line of my OP, "Pointless thread"

Originally Posted by PushingTin
Oh no, let's not get started on gifted GS....

Someone eventually is going to look at how the majority of people get nothing out of FF programs and the features are rarely delivered. That most GS are probably on some else's dime for the flights that get them the benefits, but the status follows them, not their business is overlooked when every level is getting some. You make it so that the GS, the 1%, are getting effectively a kick back and you leave it so that the benefits of the program have to claimed or taxed. With the anti elite fervor on both sides, that is a pretty easy target.

The devaluation of miles, the scarcity of upgrades, the queering of the system towards top elites only, then you add in the new Basic Economy fares... not a pretty picture.

Now, I bet the majors would love to get rid of their FF programs and their expectations and just monetize and cash flow everything, for now while the economy is hot. They are scrambling to re-cartel the industry before the next big slow down.
I'm pretty sure the airlines already pay people big bucks to do these things. and that's why we've seen such dramatic evolution of the programs in recent years. And the reason they keep them is they believe (rightly or wrongly) that it drives business. They learned a few years back that in many cases it was driving unprofitable business which is why they restructured the programs. but in the end, if they can give somenoe who spends OPM a few thousand worth of incentives and that person drives high value spending to the airline, then the airline views it as a big net win for them.

On the second part about it being OPM, the airline cares about who drives the decision, not who writes the check. it is completely irrelevant to them who signs the check - they are targeting the decision maker which in most cases is the traveler.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED"
Prossibly not if he's been flying on the companies dime or was one of the office folks that got granted the status.
Sorry for the stupid question, but how is one granted status?

Originally Posted by keisari
I have never been nor will ever be GS.
If I could spend that kind of money would NOT fly UA
but.........
So, just curious, if you could spend that kind of money what would you fly? Seems like all airlines are pretty much the same. And spending $50,000 per year won't get you very far in private air travel.

<pointless thread>

Became GS this year. Booked my first flight for Thursday overwater on a K fare. In the past 2 years, I think I've flown in economy once overwater. ironically, my first flight as a GS will be in economy. I'm kind of sad, but no way I could afford to pay $1000 extra out of pocket to get a W fare. I will probably be the lonely GS in the back.
I don't know the rules. If you are on a K fare, its just never upgraded?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 29, 2017 at 11:13 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.