Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What happens when dropping status levels – E+ access, upgrade priority & .. {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

What happens when dropping status levels – E+ access, upgrade priority & .. {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
... Also unclear how CPU would be affected if you get CPUd when you are eligible during your window while still elite but drop by flight time (I.e, for flights on Feb. 1 for silvers, Feb. 1 or 2 for golds, etc.). I suspect in that case you’d keep the upgrade, but would get pulled off the list once your status drops if you don’t get it beforehand. ,
A cleared CPU would be unaffected but waitlist priority is dynamic, realtime.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Status of a ticketed itinerary if pax have a change of UA MP status

As we near the end of the so-called status-year, a question has arisen about a ticketed & confirmed itinerary. After some years with 1K status, the BHs did not re-qualify as 1K for 2018; not because we haven't been traveling, just not enough UA trips. To go out in a blaze of glory, we've used our last four GPUs to book a TPAC in biz class over the last few days of our 1K tenure. As I said, the itinerary is confirmed & paid for. Now, because of some health concerns (onset of flu-like symptoms compounded with a fractured vertebrae for one of us), it may be necessary to cancel/postpone the trip. But can we reschedule the trip for later in the year under the same parameters? In other words, would we still have biz class amenities/seating for the rescheduled trip although technically, as MM flyers, we've reverted to Gold status? Any change fees? This is a reverse of a FT situation we've seen before; rather the consequences of gaining status while on a trip, losing status while on a trip or because of rescheduling a trip? Thoughts? Comments?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K
Most people's 1K status expires Jan 31, 2018. Most GPUs are valid for travel starting on or before Jan 31, 2018.

You can reschedule travel -- that will rebook into your original class of service (economy). United will reimburse change fees with a doctor's note; you pay and then file a refund request. In my unfortunate recent experience they have been great about this. You can re-apply GPUs to rescheduled travel if you like; you may not have GPUs if you didn't requalify for 1K and don't know anyone who did.

Sorry to hear about the illness :/ .
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The general rule is status at the time of the flight or at the time of making a change is what matters. Your status at booking does not carry over.

Originally Posted by BH62
..., the BHs did not re-qualify as 1K for 2018;
---- To go out in a blaze of glory, we've used our last four GPUs to book a TPAC in biz class over the last few days of our 1K tenure.
..... But can we reschedule the trip for later in the year under the same parameters? In other words, would we still have biz class amenities/seating for the rescheduled trip although technically, as MM flyers, we've reverted to Gold status? Any change fees? This is a reverse of a FT situation we've seen before; rather the consequences of gaining status while on a trip, losing status while on a trip or because of rescheduling a trip? Thoughts? Comments?
There is no status benefit for paid ticket change fees.
You will lose your GPUs and ability to use if you rebook after Jan 31,
You will be your new status for flights after 31 Jan.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 19, 2018 at 11:39 am Reason: self-merge
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BH62
...But can we reschedule the trip for later in the year under the same parameters? In other words, would we still have biz class amenities/seating for the rescheduled trip..
Not via GPUs - they will expire January 31st. If you had re-qualified for 1K, you could have extended them through April. You will obviously still have the option to upgrade with miles (and co-pay, if applicable), with waitlisting (again, if applicable) based on Gold status, your fare class, and day/time of upgrade request..
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:36 pm

UA status expiring: Book now and keep Economy Plus?

Hi all,

I was a Gold status member in 2017 but wasn't able to hit status again for 2018. I just booked a trip for mid-Feb and noticed that I received free Economy Plus seating.

Is that true and how it works? If so, any issues with me booking my international vacation this week (travel date mid-2018) so I can get Economy Plus for free before my status expires?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mooseman2142
Hi all,

I was a Gold status member in 2017 but wasn't able to hit status again for 2018. I just booked a trip for mid-Feb and noticed that I received free Economy Plus seating.

Is that true and how it works? If so, any issues with me booking my international vacation this week (travel date mid-2018) so I can get Economy Plus for free before my status expires?
Welcome to Flyertalk and to the United threads!

I think that if there's any little change in the time of the flight or a change of aircraft you will lose the Economy Plus seat. I would rather choose a seat in Economy that I would find acceptable. Travel in mid-2018 is too far away. Travel in mid-Feb your Economy Plus seat has more chances to stick.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
I am dropping to Silver next week and just booked early April business travel to snag row 7. Will probably book May-June as well. Yes, I know that there are frequent schedule changes for flights booked months out, but I thought I would take my chances and think in your spot there is nothing to lose. For leisure fares or awards, it is probably a good time to book anyways.

Last edited by Say Vandelay; Jan 24, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
... Also, if you are booking with miles and need to cancel (at least it used to be the case) that the fees charged were relative to the status level used to book the award.
No, status of the provider of miles at time of change is used to determine fees.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mooseman2142
Hi all,

As mentioned, you will lose your entitlement to E+ (and thus any protection if things go wrong) on 01-Feb-18. But you may otherwise select E+ seats for future travel.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Systems only knows what status you are at time of booking, not at some point in the future. Even those keeping their status still see the expiry as Jan. 31, 2018 until Feb. begins.

All gold gold benefits will drop at the beginning of February, including ability to select E+. But if you’ve already selected an E+ seat, it should stay, unless there is some change to the flights, particularly plane type. Bag allowance will revert to silver benefits since travel is as a silver.

Note this is based on past (and I’m gold dropping to silver this year too, just booked a trip for mid-Feb with seats in E+). However, would probably be pretty easy for UA to sweep and remove ineligible pax from E+. They haven’t done this in the past, but no reason why they couldn’t.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:48 am

I have 1k through Jan if I book now...

I changed jobs last year and will be losing my status from 1k to gold. I noticed when I booked a flight in Jan that it shows me as 1k for the Jan leg (today) and the return leg feb 2nd. Is this because it spans the month or is anything I book in Jan going to be the status I am now even if the travel is later (want to know as I am booking an international flight and would be good to get it 1k if I could) thanks for the explanation.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.3MM, Hyatt Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Status always extends to January 31st of the following year. Your getting the benefit of booking now but your return may show your new status when you get checked in for it as the system will downgrade you on Jan 31st but does not know that now.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by fly2work
Status always extends to January 31st of the following year. Your getting the benefit of booking now but your return may show your new status when you get checked in for it as the system will downgrade you on Jan 31st but does not know that now.
Doah was afraid you would say that, makes sense but I was hoping. thank you.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ksballen
Doah was afraid you would say that, makes sense but I was hoping. thank you.
yup - always done this way.

Do note that for CPU, you would likely be considered for upgrades At the 1K Window. Because your flight departs on Feb. 2, that you would never drop it if that window since you are within gold window still on Feb. 1. But if you’re flight was a couple of days later, system might have you in line for CPU on Jan 31, take you out on Feb 1, then put you back in on Feb. 2 at the gold window.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.