Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Tail Tipping" on UA aircraft -- why, prevention, experiences, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Tail Tipping" on UA aircraft -- why, prevention, experiences, ....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:09 pm

UA97 IAH-ORD Aug16

Arrived at C18 at ORD. Been sitting for 20min and counting with all passengers remaining aboard while ramp personnel are stabilizing the aircraft in order to prevent tipping. Unbelievably sad state of affairs. Shame on Boeing and shame on United for buying such crap aircraft.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Arrived at C18 at ORD. Been sitting for 20min and counting with all passengers remaining aboard while ramp personnel are stabilizing the aircraft in order to prevent tipping. Unbelievably sad state of affairs. Shame on Boeing and shame on United for buying such crap aircraft.
yep -- 100% a Boeing issue

A320

And another A320
Originally Posted by tkc98110
Flying IAH-SEA recently (UA1792, A-320), just after we landed, an announcement came on that, because there was so much checked luggage on the flight, passengers were requested to remain seated after we arrived at the gate. It was explained that this was so that luggage could be removed, to avoid having the plane tip down at the tail due a weight imbalance if people disembarked too soon.
MD-11F

DC-10
princeville likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 17, 2017 at 12:24 am Reason: repaired link
Old Sep 18, 2021, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
N78448 @ LWS - Is this real?

Just saw this. USC charter.

https://twitter.com/DSJR1/status/1439033962853109765?s=19
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 10:14 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Looks like someone didn't install the tail stand and/or emptied the front cargo compartment before the rear.

A lot of long narrowbody aircraft can be subject to tail-tipping if precautions aren't taken.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Looks like someone didn't install the tail stand and/or emptied the front cargo compartment before the rear.

A lot of long narrowbody aircraft can be subject to tail-tipping if precautions aren't taken.
ouch indeed. Someone goofed
Old Sep 18, 2021, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Looks like someone didn't install the tail stand and/or emptied the front cargo compartment before the rear….
…or USC’s linemen were sitting in back and the kicker got off first.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
9/17 UA2553 LWS-LAX canceled.

Last edited by HkCaGu; Sep 18, 2021 at 12:42 pm Reason: Looks like it wasn’t a ferry flight to LWS
Old Sep 18, 2021, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
Or they fired their coach on the tarmac.... Oh wait, they already did that once AND have already fired this season's coach.
jsloan, adambadam and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
"Your flight is canceled because your plane needs repairs. We're sorry for the inconvenience.Operated by United Airlines, Boeing 737-900"
nnn and SFO_LOW_CLOUDS like this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by mpw81
"HI ho 739! Away!" Not.

David

p.s. Does LWS have any anti-tail tipping stands?
Old Sep 18, 2021, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Funny thing is - I've seen them frequently under Southwest's 737s, but I can't recall ever seeing one used on a UA plane. I guess airlines are not required to use them and the choice is to use them out of abundance of caution or not use them, counting on the planes to be loaded/unloaded correctly?

Maybe WN carries more bags on average, putting more weight in back?
Old Sep 18, 2021, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Funny thing is - I've seen them frequently under Southwest's 737s, but I can't recall ever seeing one used on a UA plane. I guess airlines are not required to use them and the choice is to use them or not use them, counting on the planes to be loaded/unloaded correctly?
Does LWS see very many 737-900s?

David
Old Sep 18, 2021, 3:26 pm

Funny thing is - I've seen them frequently under Southwest's 737s, but I can't recall ever seeing one used on a UA plane. I guess airlines are not required to use them and the choice is to use them out of abundance of caution or not use them, counting on the planes to be loaded/unloaded correctly?

Maybe WN carries more bags on average, putting more weight in back?
I'm sure there's some kind of SOP but generally I haven't noticed many on UA AC... that said my last UA 737-900 arrival into CLE I saw a ramper dragging one towards the back of our aircraft... Took me my brain a little bit to figure it out though ("Why is he dragging a tow bar to the back of the plane? Gee that looks awfully small diameter for a tow bar... Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...")

I seem to recall (perhaps it was during the FT tour of the CLE MX facility a few years ago) that the preference when possible was to let cargo do most of the work, so maybe UA tends to use them for high passenger load + low cargo load?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mpw81
N78448 @ LWS - Is this real?
Just saw this. USC charter.

https://twitter.com/DSJR1/status/143...853109765?s=19
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
LWS = Lewiston, Idaho
Old Sep 18, 2021, 5:24 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
We use tail stands on the 737-900/-9 quite frequently. I'm not sure if they're ever needed on the 737-800/-8. I don't think they are ever needed on the 737-700. I would expect that other stretched fleets also use them.

The problem is that during deplaning, all of the passengers in front of the main gear will exit the aircraft before any of the passengers behind the main gear will have a change to move forward. You reach a point where the back half of the airplane is full and the front half is empty. When possible, load planning will put enough baggage and cargo weight in the forward cargo area, and limit the weight in the aft, so that a tail tip is not likely. That isn't always possible. If there is a potential for a tail tip, the opening of the cabin door is delayed until the tail stand is installed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.