Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2017, 2:21 pm

United - Positive Experiences 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
Interesting. Mine have never referenced the upgrade certificate. Did you use the "search for upgrade" function and confirm the upgrade at the same time you purchased the ticket?

In any event, the only way to actually track them is in your Mileage Plus summary. I always keep a running count of how many I've applied, how many have cleared, and how many I (should) have left.
I have a similar notation in my "confirmation" email from when I used an RPU at booking (via the "upgrade with RPU" search). This is different than the actual receipt email which indicates the itinerary has ticketed.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
SFO-SNA last weekend. Fantastic service from younger flight attendant in F. She greeted everyone by name, thanked everyone for their loyalty (at all levels) and made sure drinks were refilled and snacks were in hand during the entire flight. Big smile throughout. She really seemed to enjoy her job and I definitely appreciated the effort.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Surprising positive ual service

Picture it: Wednesday July 12th Chicago O'Hare with massive overnight and morning thunderstorms.

Originally ticketed on AA - ORD-ALB 12:50pm flight. Just as I arrive through security at about Noon AA cancels this flight! Damn!!! So the scramble began to secure space so I CAN get into Albany today! Called AA and there's over an hour wait, left my number for the call back. Proceeded to use internet to rebook with AA - no luck for any good options including not being able to secure the last direct flight at 6:50pm.

Only other direct service is United, UGH!!!! But saw a 1:45pm departure and found one coach seat for sale and snagged it. Everything looked great and on time at this point.

Did the hustle from T4 to T1 C concourse and amazed I could remain within the secure area, arrived at the gate where everything went downhill fast.

Summary: A/C went maintenance delay, WHAT??? Was thinking this crazy vs. a weather delay. Departure pushed to 2:25pm. Then a gate change! Noticed then that I have a ticket BUT the seat I picked when I bought it (26D) disappeared, damn! Waited 45 minutes to see gate agent the lines were forever longwhere she said I had a seat, 30D! REALLY??? No better seat since I did just pay full refundable price! Nope! Then I asled what about an upgrade? She said for $129 seat 1B is yours! DONE!!! Pilot than announces another 30 minute delay, so I stand in line for group 1. Boarding commences and finishes.

Pilot John White and his flight attendant crew were AWESOME ^ cheerful, great service, great attitudes in thse circumstances, very attentive, jovial! Here's what else happened.

Door closes only to reopen - Pilot announces we need to off load fuel cuz we are to heavy means 30 minute delay! Meanwhile they load more passengers. Door closes we then cant push back. Tug is BROKE! Really???? Another 20 minute delay. We then push and depart. Supposed to have a 1.5 hour flight time turns over 2 hours to avoid thunderstorms. Upon landing pilot does a go around as we were coming in too fast, which was the final delay.

We made it but for this flight I will say the crew was amazing. Even the flight attendant said this captain John White was amazing, using the PA right in the cabin looking at all of us. KUDOS!

But I did fly United in a pinch since they were the only ones flying that day. AA did cancel their last night direct flight and no I wont be back on United anytime soon. Again flight crew amazing kudos!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Sure beats being cancelled again! Just about everything that could go wrong did go wrong. But you made it to ALB and you had a good crew to boot. Not bad.

You're just lucky the water didn't stop running or the toilets were inop (but ORD-ALB is a short flight).

-RM

Last edited by Pat89339; Jul 16, 2017 at 11:16 am Reason: Moderator edit TOS 16 Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
I am very surprised by a Customer Care agent for her dedication. I wrote a letter to them on my friend's behalf yesterday. My friend misconnected at IAD due to late flight leaving from our local airport. He was changed to a code-share Air China flight to Beijing, but his luggage did not make it. In my letter, I had my friend's name and flight information. This agent figured out my friend's MP number and compensated him very well.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
A few good experiences this year.

1 and 2) Not sure if Im just lucky but Ive been upgraded on flights which I bought using award miles. Gate agents surprised me as I boarded. Held the plane (which was nice) as I was delayed from origin.

3) Spent an hour on the phone with the premier line because they couldn't find an approval code for a ticket. Very nice and understanding.

4) Had two consecutive flights with the same crew. They noticed I was on the earlier flight and they were extra attentive on the second flight because they knew I was a "repeat" customer.

Overall very satisfied with UA this year.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:16 am

Sent this compliment to united.com/feedback earlier today:

I would like to give my sincere thanks to Cheryl XXXXXXXXX on July 18th's UAXXX. When I boarded, another passenger had already instructed his children to occupy my seat in an attempt to obtain an entire block of 3 seats for himself. He quickly became belligerent when I asked him to have his family sit in their assigned seats. The situation became quite tense due to how aggressive and in-my-face that passenger became. Through many minutes of effort, Cheryl managed to convince the other passenger and his family to take their assigned seats. Cheryl also helped me find an equivalent alternate seat to prevent potential in-flight issues with the other passenger. And finally, to prevent the other passenger from succeeding in his extraordinarily unreasonable attempt to usurp 3 seats for himself on a flight that was almost completely full in economy, Cheryl deftly moved a third party into my original seat. My sincere compliments to Cheryl and the rest of the crew for resolving a situation that could have turned a normal flight into an unpleasant one, while safely preventing an unreasonable passenger from bullying his way around the rules at the expense of other customers (and his own children!).

Received a very nice reply, including the following: "I will make sure your comments are forwarded to Cheryl and her immediate supervisor." I hope they read my message!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by sincx

Received a very nice reply, including the following: "I will make sure your comments are forwarded to Cheryl and her immediate supervisor." I hope they read my message!
Quite sure Cheryl and her supervisor will get the message. I have a friend working as a FA and she also gets those "awards" from time to time.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Flew HNL - LAX in on flight 1221 last week.

Sitting in Business and see that theres a lady and a lap baby. Baby cried for maybe 3 hours of the 5 hour flight. Surprisingly, no one in the cabin got upset and everyone actually rallied by helping hold the baby so the mom could eat, helping her grab stuff, etc.

The two flight attendants up front were amazing and handled the situation so well by carrying the baby for a time and keeping her asleep for a few precious minutes!

Not great to have a crying baby, but it went as well as it could have for everyone involved.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:56 am

Recent experience at SFO Premier Access check-in.

At T-41, entered reservation reference at kiosk, wanted to check bag for EWR, kiosk said "no, too late, T-45 has passed, see agent", lady working kiosks directed me to a short line and said I'd had to "rebook". When I arrived at the desk agent, he instead said bag could still make it, forced print of bag tags (at T-34 according to the tag), had me sign the late release, and told me to run to the gate. Both the bag and its owner made it to their destination just fine and on time.

Great and helpful desk agent (thanks, UA!), had the impression that being on a purchased premium cabin fare ($$$$) contributed to the willingness to not blindly apply the rules. Still, I consider myself lucky that I got away with it this time and the lesson learned is to take congestion on US-101 and slow SFO AirTrain more into account for future SFO travels.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:36 pm

Had a surprisingly good experience with the premier line this morning. I'd booked a personal trip for two on round trip award tickets (IAD-CLT-IAD), and had to add a paid trip for just myself to LAX leaving IAD right after I returned (i.e., flying right back out of IAD after completing my CLT trip). I purchased the IAD-LAX one-way ticket in M (lowest fare available), at an insanely high fare. For giggles, after purchase I checked what a paid ticket CLT-IAD-LAX would have cost, to maybe get some more PQM and save my miles. Turns our not only was it less, but it was less to fly in A CLT-IAD-LAX than the IAD-LAX M ticket cost on the same flight. So I called the premier desk and asked to:

1) split the IAD-CLT-IAD award PNR into two PNRs;
2) redeposit the CLT-IAD leg for one of the two travelers, while leaving the other alone; and
3) take my IAD-LAX M ticket and change it to a CLT-IAD-LAX A ticket on my original CLT-IAD flight.

Confused yet? The rep wasn't. At all. I only had to explain the ultimate ask once, and she dove in and did everything right the first time. Without my even asking or suggesting it, she secured a waiver of the fee for re-depositing the CLT-IAD award miles, and processed a refund to my credit card of the fare difference for CLT-IAD-LAX vs. IAD-LAX. Entire call took about 15 minutes, and I received e-mail confirmations for all of it.

Friendly, great service.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I flew on a separate CX ticket to HKG to then fly back to the US on UA. My CX flight was delayed due to the recent typhoons so I arrived too late to catch my UA flight. I explained the situation to the UA agents at another gate, who were helpful and gave me their phone to talk to the UA 1K line in HKG. Spoke to an agent who put me on the next day's flight, and said there would be a $300 change fee. I asked if that could be waived, blaming my delay on something outside of my control, but also recognized the delay was outside of UA's control as well. The agent checked and said she would waive the fee. A great gesture of goodwill that I'll remember for a while. A bonus is there was R space available so I was able to keep my upgrade.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Spoke to an agent who put me on the next day's flight, and said there would be a $300 change fee. I asked if that could be waived, blaming my delay on something outside of my control, but also recognized the delay was outside of UA's control as well. The agent checked and said she would waive the fee. A great gesture of goodwill that I'll remember for a while. A bonus is there was R space available so I was able to keep my upgrade.
^

I've had more change fees waived this year (without asking) than I can ever recall. I really think they are trying harder to make 1Ks feel appreciated.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:27 pm

Kudos to UA for bailing me out of huge mess this weekend. Flying coast to coast, not touching IAH but somehow every flight booked or reaccommodated had something to do with IAH, very indirectly (IAH delayed 3 flights ago, causing delay, etc.). My original flights either cancelled or have impossible connections. I was looking at coming home on Tuesday, the system claiming that all flights coast to coast are completely booked full Sunday and Monday, and refusing OAL.

But then the 1K agents pulled a miracle, by creative overnight layover with rebook on higher fare classes, so that I had easier time to change once the flights commenced (for more layover time and actual sleep at a hotel). It absolutely worked. In the end, it cost me $150 extra for the hotel, but totally worth the extra sleep and comfort (and cheaper than the change fee, if it were not IRROPS).
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:06 am

LHR GS checkin person. I arrived at LHR sans passport. She handled it in her stride, coordinated with US immigration and gate people and I got on that plane home without any issues. Flew home just on greencard

(I'm not GS but was directed to the GS checkin person)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.