FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1812065-ua-upsell-offers-business-first-pp-purchase-day-departure-tod.html)

WheelsUpGal Apr 22, 2023 8:17 pm

I didn't know this thread existed. Maybe this goes here? Just booked an Economy seat BNA - SYD for March 2024 using miles. These were the Upgrade offers on the Day of Purchase. The Business Class RT is about $10,000 so to upgrade two one ways is more than to just buy it outright. I guess that's normal.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...5bf31af879.jpg

PanAmWT Apr 22, 2023 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by frappant (Post 35189566)
Ah thanks, I just tried it, selected a Polaris seat and it takes me to the Upgrade Cabin seat, where it says "No Upgrade Available" when I select Upgrade By: Money, Miles PlusPoints.

Does the fact that I applied for Plus Points upgrades back in January mean I can't get Buy Up offers unless I revoke the PlusPoints upgrade request?

Originally Posted by FlytheTail (Post 35193717)
In my experiences with international flights, yes. The upgrade offers disappear once I apply PPs. For domestic segments though, the cash upgrade offers usually remain visible.

The 5/23/2023 UA 872 TPE-SFO reservation posted a few posts upthread (#1606) was an international ticket for which PP was applied and on waitlist. UA did offer cash upgrade - at prices far higher than if I just pay fare difference to change to a new ticket in the higher cabin.

kb1992 Apr 22, 2023 11:05 pm

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ac3a0e2545.jpg

April 24 PVG-SFO. A colleague didn't get the upgrade offer (waitlisted for Polaris), but if he changes seat to Polaris, the price shows up.

$13,569

This is a quick way to make 1K. ;)

flyingwish Apr 24, 2023 4:28 pm

Hello Fellow Flyers
I have been a member for 20 years but have been away from this forum for a long time. I just started following it again. First, I want to thank everyone for their excellent and wise advice. I feel like I should share my recent experience. Me and my wife have 2 XN award tickets one-way IAD-HND at 35K. United offered upgrade to PE for $300 each for our almost 14 hour flight. Reading other comments, I jumped on it and now have Row 20 seats for our UA804 flight in July 2023.
However, on checking seating charts, the flight is almost empty with PE showing only 3 other seats taken besides us. My question to the experts is this: Did we make a good purchase or try to see if we can downgrade if there is a schedule change?
Also, UA is offering upgrade to J for $6198 each which we will definitely pass.

nlf Apr 24, 2023 4:49 pm

Bought Economy (Q) on SFO-CDG in the beginning of July; post-purchase upgrade to J for $890. Cheaper than buying J there and economy back

Kacee Apr 24, 2023 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by flyingwish (Post 35198829)
However, on checking seating charts, the flight is almost empty with PE showing only 3 other seats taken besides us. My question to the experts is this: Did we make a good purchase or try to see if we can downgrade if there is a schedule change?

Sounds like a good investment to me. Note also that if your upgrade booked into a revenue fare class (O, A, R), you may have a reasonable chance for a mileage upgrade to business class, depending on how full that cabin is and how many higher status pax from PE list for the upgrade.

jsloan Apr 24, 2023 5:01 pm

You got a trip to Tokyo in an 8-across (777) or 7-across (787) seat (vs. 10-across 777 / 9-across 787) for $300 plus 35K increasingly devalued MileagePlus miles.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, and don't assume that the back will stay empty. :)

Personally, there is no way I'd downgrade, because there is no way I'd sit 14 hours in 9/10-across Y when there was a reasonable alternative.

(Note that 9-across in a 787 and 10-across in a 777 are approximately equivalent, due to the fuselage width).

Lori_Q Apr 24, 2023 5:07 pm

Me and my wife have 2 XN award tickets one-way IAD-HND at 35K. United offered upgrade to PE for $300 each for our almost 14 hour flight. Reading other comments, I jumped on it and now have Row 20 seats for our UA804 flight in July 2023.

Welcome back, flyingwish!

I think a $300/each upgrade is a good deal for a flight that long. The two of you will have a row to yourselves, with an easy exit from the window seat if you want to stretch your legs.

StuckinITH Apr 25, 2023 12:24 pm

April 2023, ORD to FRA, at check-in offer from Premium Economy to Polaris $699.

First international trip since February 2020 and I'm Silver (which was a free gift from UA). I took the offer.

Premium Economy was Full and there were 6 seats left in Polaris out of 44 when I checked in.

I know, I have to change my profile to UA Silver.......

kb1992 Apr 25, 2023 12:54 pm

Booked 35K miles XN award EWR-HND for May. Waitlisted using 40 PP.

It shows J6 C6 D4 Z2 P1.

Still, there is no cash upgrade offer.

flyingwish Apr 25, 2023 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 35198904)
You got a trip to Tokyo in an 8-across (777) or 7-across (787) seat (vs. 10-across 777 / 9-across 787) for $300 plus 35K increasingly devalued MileagePlus miles.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, and don't assume that the back will stay empty. :)

Personally, there is no way I'd downgrade, because there is no way I'd sit 14 hours in 9/10-across Y when there was a reasonable alternative.

(Note that 9-across in a 787 and 10-across in a 777 are approximately equivalent, due to the fuselage width).

Thank you for your advise and that of others here. I will keep my seats and see if a reasonable offer comes my way for J. Right now it is still $6192 for each of us.

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 35198900)
Sounds like a good investment to me. Note also that if your upgrade booked into a revenue fare class (O, A, R), you may have a reasonable chance for a mileage upgrade to business class, depending on how full that cabin is and how many higher status pax from PE list for the upgrade.

Thank you for the good input. I think it is now a YN ticket which was originally XN but I will check again.to make sure.

flyingwish Apr 25, 2023 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 35198900)

Hello,
I checked my reservation and we are now booked in fare class A which is giving an option to upgrade from PE to J for 30K miles + $450 each. Our flight is on July 16th IAD-HND. Should I wait to see if a better offer comes along or take the current offer? As always, any advice is most appreciated.

Kacee Apr 25, 2023 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by flyingwish (Post 35201684)
Hello,
I checked my reservation and we are now booked in fare class A which is giving an option to upgrade from PE to J for 30K miles + $450 each. Our flight is on July 16th IAD-HND. Should I wait to see if a better offer comes along or take the current offer? As always, any advice is most appreciated.

That's not an offer, it's the standard cost of a mileage upgrade. It will not change.

There is currently no upgrade space (PZ) available on UA803 on 7/16. If you elect to upgrade using miles, you will be placed on the waitlist.

flyingwish Apr 26, 2023 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 35202242)
That's not an offer, it's the standard cost of a mileage upgrade. It will not change.

There is currently no upgrade space (PZ) available on UA803 on 7/16. If you elect to upgrade using miles, you will be placed on the waitlist.

Thank you for the information. I still have so much to learn from you all.

tstauck Apr 26, 2023 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by flyingwish (Post 35201684)
Hello,

As others mentioned, that's the standard offer and personally I would take it (waitlist) for such a long flight. If it doesn't clear, you'll get your cash + miles back, and if it does, all the better!