Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Flew to EWR from Florida this morning. I was not a fan of the breakfast burrito the last time I had it, so I opted for the "protein bowl". I was baffled by what was put in front of me. One slice of turkey, a scoop of hummus, carrots, celery, and olives. At 6 AM. Who at UA thinks this is breakfast food?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by eng3
IAH-SEA 7/28 UA2018, Lunch
Chicken with some sort of pesto

Raspberry sorbet

SEA-IAH 8/1 UA1867 Lunch
Lentil Chilli. Pretty bad (The other option was lobster mac+cheese but I dont like seafood)

IAH-PHL 8/1 UA1615 Dinner
Feels like I just got the Economy meal
For Peter's sake, will UA ever stop serving sorbet and ice cream in paper cups?!?!?!?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
STLSFO
DEP 1735
EQP E7W
MEAL DINNER

This flight has been bouncing between mainline and express. Plus side of express is the 12F cabin vs the 8F on the usual 319, but prefer mainline for somewhat more substantial (hot) meals.

Choice was either a beef wrap or cobb salad with chicken. STLSFO is double catered, but the last time I was on express the meal was better. Not exactly sure what was "cobb" about the salad other than the eggs, but this meal was unfortunately reminiscent of the 2011-2015 catering harmonization: tired looking iceberg lettuce with sliced olives....happened to glance over at the beef wrap (rather small) and it was served with a cabbage edamame salad.

Not sure what is going on with the catering in SFO; seems like it has been hit or miss the past couple of months.

Last edited by qukslvr619; Aug 18, 2017 at 11:15 am
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jcatman
How was that waffle? Was the other choice an egg dish?
Waffle was not bad. Not really crisp like a fresh waffle. Yes egg dish was another choice but for some reason I've lost my appetite for any egg dishes while on a plane.

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
That sweet roll is making my mouth water. They always do!

Could I make a suggestion though? Not a criticism, merely a recommendation. Let's all try to use as little image processing as possible when uploading photos, especially of meals. It's tough enough to get a sense of how a meal typically looks from a photo, but this much additional color saturation makes it look radioactive.

I typically alter the white balance so it looks natural, then brighten the image so that the plate is fairly white, but YMMV.
This is just what the AUTO function in Google photos did to my photo. Must have been due to the day light against that blue table cloth.

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Believe it or not the burger has been in the rotation for over 10 years now!

Always felt a little too casual for first class, but often end up having a craving for it, though usually hold out.

Portion size on that PS lunch looks smaller though. I guess getting extra desserts and the snack wraps came at the expense of that.
This was my first ever PS flight. It was an 8am flight. The size looked pretty good to me. A good size bowl of fruit then waffles. The waffles were fairly large actually. In regular F, you'd get everything on one tray.

Originally Posted by fly747first
For Peter's sake, will UA ever stop serving sorbet and ice cream in paper cups?!?!?!?
You know how long it took them just to get ice cream / sorbet back. We're lucky we get something at all at this point.

Last edited by eng3; Aug 18, 2017 at 12:51 pm
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Believe it or not the burger has been in the rotation for over 10 years now!

Always felt a little too casual for first class, but often end up having a craving for it, though usually hold out.

Portion size on that PS lunch looks smaller though. I guess getting extra desserts and the snack wraps came at the expense of that.
I liked it when it was the "Snack" option. It's quite tasty and a pretty awesome option for Y!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
August 17 SFO-IAD Lunch

Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
August 18 IAD-FLL Breakfast

Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:07 am

Re: the transcon portion sizes...

Had my first dinner flight since the July change and main course portions as grand as ever.

Mushroom lasagna was outstanding even with shaved cheese in a ramekin to put on top.

The chocolate salted Polaris treat and cheese option were a nice add for dessert.

Two breads now - garlic and pretzel.

Overall a legit improvement over the prior iteration.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Sweet roll? Doesn't resemble the standard issue cinnamon roll.

David
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
I noticed that United appears to have created a new meal window carve-out, 2:20 to 2:30 flight duration.

This new window appears to move many short haul routes (EWR-Florida, DEN-West Coast) from a full meal service into a fruit plate for breakfast and a chilled plate for lunch.

Based on a few flight searches, the change hits September 1.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rch4u
I noticed that United appears to have created a new meal window carve-out, 2:20 to 2:30 flight duration.

This new window appears to move many short haul routes (EWR-Florida, DEN-West Coast) from a full meal service into a fruit plate for breakfast and a chilled plate for lunch.

Based on a few flight searches, the change hits September 1.
This airline has no vision. Then they wonder why they have become the most hated airline--one that couldn't be more anti-customer.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:48 pm

Hasn't the 2:20-2:30 window existed for quite some time now? Mainline CHS-ORD falls in this window and I've never had a full meal service.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by geckoflyer
Hasn't the 2:20-2:30 window existed for quite some time now? Mainline CHS-ORD falls in this window and I've never had a full meal service.
It has, but dropping lunch in favor of snack service is new I think. Note that AFAICT it's actually based on flight distance (at best "average round-trip block time") so the block time of an individual flight is never indicative.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA 372: MSP to SFO
August 13, 2017
Airbus A320, Dinner

I have a love-hate relationship with the UA Airbus fleet. On the one hand, the tiny cabins means upgrades are often a pipe dream (here I just bought F). But on the other, the smaller cabin usually means much better service, and the good old pmUA seat configuration is oh-so-comfy with a nice, airy cabin.

Name:  13nuts.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  182.6 KB

Nice warm ramekin of nuts had the full variety including walnuts and whole cashews. So glad that the "green paper" nuts have not taken hold.

Name:  13main.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  187.6 KB

The main selection was an old classic - lobster mac or the lentil chili. Our FA very politely offered the options, but mentioned we had a vegetarian family of four and only 4 lentil dishes loaded so if we didn't mind helping her out.. I thought it was absolutely the right way to go about it. And asking me to choose the lobster mac? Don't mind if I do! With the lower quality salads I've been seeing recently, this one was a nice correction back to what seemed to be a 2016 norm: strawberry and orange on top of mixed greens with feta cheese. The only disappointing part was whatever you call this roll - it's still hard and dry and just sad.

Name:  13dessert.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  110.9 KB

I don't know why they can't use the old glassware for dessert, but even in a paper cup the ice cream was still delicious! (Also, mark that yes midcon dinners can have ice cream ) Chocolate sauce and whipped cream were offered as toppings, but I'm weird like that.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
UA 372: MSP to SFO
August 13, 2017
Airbus A320, Dinner

I don't know why they can't use the old glassware for dessert, but even in a paper cup the ice cream was still delicious! (Also, mark that yes midcon dinners can have ice cream ) Chocolate sauce and whipped cream were offered as toppings, but I'm weird like that.
The few times I'm forced to fly UA, I just ask the crew for an extra glass and pour the ice cream from the paper container onto the glass. On my last flight, the very humorous Purser told me: "I wish our head of inflight was as creative as you!".

Hints to my fellow flyers: the shorter wide glasses work best, though they aren't available on most domestic flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.