Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - Economy Class (Domestic & International)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM

Complimentary Meal Service is available in Economy for the following:
  • Trans-Atlantic flights
  • Trans-Pacific flights
  • Intra-Pacific/Oceania/Micronesia flights, except between Guam and Honolulu
  • South American flights

Buy on Board only is featured in Economy for the following:
  • North American flights (all 50 US States, Canada, and Mexico)
  • Intra-Pacific flights between Guam and Honolulu
  • Caribbean and Latin America flights (not South America)

Here's United's official page on Economy Class dining:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...my/dining.aspx

For the curious folks, the 2016 thread is here:
2016 Let's Eat - Economy Class (Domestic & International)

With that, Let's Eat 2017!
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM
reserved
Old Jan 1, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: UA Platinum Marriott Platinum
Let's hope it's filled with French toast casserole in first on every single breakfast flight
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On my mid-con, they had the usual meatball pasta and cheese plus the hamburger for sale. The guy next to me bought a hamburger. The FA gave it to him. The packaging looked good.

He opened it up because one side of the bun was burned. The meat was light brownish. It was not too appealing.

The probably 5 minutes later when the guy was 1/4 the way through, another FA came and gave him a plastic box with lattice, pickle, tomato, ketchup and mayo.

It seems this is a new option? I did not have it on my flight about 10 days ago. I know it was only 1/2 yesterday but sort of bad that the first FA didn't even know what to give to the passenger.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by username
On my mid-con, they had the usual meatball pasta and cheese plus the hamburger for sale. The guy next to me bought a hamburger. The FA gave it to him. The packaging looked good.

He opened it up because one side of the bun was burned. The meat was light brownish. It was not too appealing.

The probably 5 minutes later when the guy was 1/4 the way through, another FA came and gave him a plastic box with lattice, pickle, tomato, ketchup and mayo.

It seems this is a new option? I did not have it on my flight about 10 days ago. I know it was only 1/2 yesterday but sort of bad that the first FA didn't even know what to give to the passenger.
Glad to see the cheeseburger is back. Can't wait to try it. Looks exactly the same as the one I had in F ORD EWR the other day. (looked at the website menu for the picture).
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by username

Wrote about it here (caution - link to my own blog)

If you don't want click through, just note that UA made a few changes to the BOB menu this month that oddly have not appeared on the website yet (ETA: now updated). We see a few "old favorites" back but the fruit/cheese plate is gone.

Personally, I love the BOB hamburger...
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Wrote about it here (caution - link to my own blog)

If you don't want click through, just note that UA made a few changes to the BOB menu this month that oddly have not appeared on the website yet (ETA: now updated). We see a few "old favorites" back but the fruit/cheese plate is gone.

Personally, I love the BOB hamburger...
So glad I made 1K, new menu looks great with more hot options.

On a side note, prices have gone up but the new options appear to have bigger portions.

Here are pics of the burger. Fries are just potato chips cut up to have the shape of fries. They tastes almost like original Lays, not bad but definitely too salty. Burger was pretty decent. Cheese is under the patty. They need to include 2+ packs of ketchup though. There is hardly enough for the fries by themselves. Burger wasn't as hot as I'd like it, and I remember the roast beef sandwiches being too hot to touch.

As a side note, the burger option physically takes up a lot of the tray space since the burger, dressing, and fries are all in different packages. I had to put things in my lap/seat pocket to have enough room to comfortably eat.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 23, 2017 at 7:58 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another picture of burger. Very delicious--

Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, Southwest RapidRewards
LHR-ORD - Y Lunch.

Offered choice of Manacotti or Thai Chicken. Forged ahead with the chicken.

Meal consisted of chicken meat in a pinkish orange Thai curry sauce, white rice, and some vegetables (Red bell pepper, maybe green onions, and something else.) - surprisingly good.

Quinoa salad. It was a scoop of quinoa that had some other stuff in it served on a lettuce leaf. I've never really had quinoa, but the bite I took wasn't bad - but I wasn't expecting it to be cold. I passed.

Brown roll with Kerrygold butter - the standard fare.

A small cup of some kind of toffe ice cream that had what tasted like a molasses based syrup on the top with a few toffe bits as well - outstanding. Appeared to be sourced from the UK, otherwise I'd seek it out at home.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Bad tasting ICE

My last 2 flights
ORD-EWR A320
EWR-FLL 737-800

The ice has had a funky taste to it, I can't remember this in the past, has anyone else noticed this ? I
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
I was on MIA-IAH in Y on Sunday (first time in Y in quite awhile) and the crew came through (once) with a beverage service but didn't offer BOB so I thought that might come shortly after on a separate run, but it never did (nor was a second drink order ever offered). Is the current expectation that passengers are supposed to affirmatively ask the FAs for BOB when the drink cart comes through, rather than vice-versa?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA
Last 8 flights for me the BoB cart came a minute or two after the drinks cart. I usually sit in row 7 so the drinks cart would be about row 9-10 by the time BoB came. I got into the habit of asking for BoB when they took my drinks order since I never had the FA who was operating the BoB cart come past the drinks cart and ask me after they arrived.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by DonnieZ
LHR-ORD - Y Lunch.

Offered choice of Manacotti or Thai Chicken. Forged ahead with the chicken.

Meal consisted of chicken meat in a pinkish orange Thai curry sauce, white rice, and some vegetables (Red bell pepper, maybe green onions, and something else.) - surprisingly good.

Quinoa salad. It was a scoop of quinoa that had some other stuff in it served on a lettuce leaf. I've never really had quinoa, but the bite I took wasn't bad - but I wasn't expecting it to be cold. I passed.

Brown roll with Kerrygold butter - the standard fare.

A small cup of some kind of toffe ice cream that had what tasted like a molasses based syrup on the top with a few toffe bits as well - outstanding. Appeared to be sourced from the UK, otherwise I'd seek it out at home.
I had the same meal (tried both chicken and manicotti) on BRU-IAD route - both were very good. Thai chicken actually had some Thai flavor to it.

I thought it might be BRU local catering, but looks like it isn't. The meal was quite a bit better than the one on the outbound (that one was something non-edible).
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had no idea that United has brought back mid-flight snacks and hot breakfasts on West Coast to Europe flights. It felt like going to Asia!

UA58
SFO-FRA
07 FEB 2017
Attached Images    
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
No pictures but was on UA78 yesterday. Choice of miso chicken or pasta with mushrooms and red sauce after take-off; both options came with vanilla ice cream after meal was cleared, mid-flight snack of chicken sandwich with cheese on a roll with Japanese crackers and a Kit Kat, and choice of omelette or donburi prior to arrival. I also received 5 drink services, 3 during the initial service, one for the mid-flight service, and one prior to arrival.

Overall very good, seems like there is little incentive to upgrade to Polaris during the slower winter months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.