Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Baggage sizer use at the gate? (No longer at gates after 23 Jan 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Baggage sizer use at the gate? (No longer at gates after 23 Jan 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Digging up this old thread.

Did anyone else read the news that UA is removing all carry-on baggage sizers from the gate area on January 23, 2020? I don't really get this move. The memo apparently tells the GAs to use their discretion about whether a bag will fit or not and to be "customer friendly".

This is a recipe for disaster in my opinion. If a GA wants to tell a passenger that their bag is too big and won't fit, what "real" and substantive thing can they point to and prove to the customer that the bag won't fit? I don't get the move at all.

-RM
I saw it on FB yesterday and actually looked for a FT thread.

Agree. Not only can the gate agent not point to anything substantive, but the same is true for the passenger. Guess I will now add a tape measure and a print-out of the United carry-on webpage to my rollaboard.
Halo117, Silver Fox and chavala like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I saw it on FB yesterday and actually looked for a FT thread.

Agree. Not only can the gate agent not point to anything substantive, but the same is true for the passenger. Guess I will now add a tape measure and a print-out of the United carry-on webpage to my rollaboard.
Sadly, I already do this. All my carry-on is within limits, and have only had to offer its use to an over-zealous, power tripping GA once. It was not on UA though, and they declined to use it and let me on with it "this time". Zzzzzzzz.

But, this is either going to be an epic failure or might actually work if they change the attitude of "let everyone board with a kitchen sink and let the FAs sort it out". And the ensuing walk of shames against the tide. Perhaps this is why they are changing the carry-on handle colours handed out to FF and the game is afoot.

Taking an AA TATL last week I was sitting by the RDU-LAX boarding gate, the GA said "if you are in BG 8 or 9 your bag will be gate checked". I don't know if that happens at UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.