Wiki Posts
Search

United in Seattle?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:33 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian

Delta's new club in SEA is two to three times the size of the United club. So for now it's Delta for me.
Well, UA cut back and DL has decided to make SEA their West Coast hub. Or the "wet coast" as locals call it in winter ....
Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by TakeTheATrain
I moved to Seattle not too long ago, but never left United. I seem to be one of a handful of United flyers in the SEA area.
Wow... when I moved to Seattle in the mid-'90s virtually everyone I worked and traveled with was UA 1K. Today it's hard to find anyone with status. UA has shriveled at SEA.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1k; 1MM, HH Diamond; Hertz PC, Costco member
Originally Posted by BearX220
Wow... when I moved to Seattle in the mid-'90s virtually everyone I worked and traveled with was UA 1K. Today it's hard to find anyone with status. UA has shriveled at SEA.
SEA gets a little benefit from those of us in GEG looking for a different flight option than GEG-DEN. I will often fly SEA to/from east coast to avoid weather issues and then take an AS flight home. Sort of a backward benefit of UA gutting service to Spokane.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I'm an NYC-based flyer, but looking at some trips out to SEA sometime next summer. However, the prices for EWR-SEA are ridiculous (like $700-800 RT, and some weekends in July even higher) and am seeing prices on DL substantially lower. Do folks think prices are likely to head lower, or do I simply abdicate on this route and save the $300+ that DL would afford?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by transportprof
Is Skyclub @SEA nicer than the Amex Centurion lounge?
The food is slightly better at the Centurion Lounge (and they have freshly made rice crispy treats ) as is the wine, but there is no view and its crowded. Space/ambiance wise the A1 SkyClub is hands down better, and blows away any UA club, including the new one in LHR, and I think is nicer than Delta's T4 one at JFK which was IMHO the best in their system.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I'm an NYC-based flyer, but looking at some trips out to SEA sometime next summer. However, the prices for EWR-SEA are ridiculous (like $700-800 RT, and some weekends in July even higher) and am seeing prices on DL substantially lower. Do folks think prices are likely to head lower, or do I simply abdicate on this route and save the $300+ that DL would afford?
No harm in waiting until 2-3 months out, at least.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

Buy an AS ticket EWR-SEA and claim Price guarantee if it drops. AS is probably comparable to Delta $ wise depending on dates. Non stop flight too.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 4:45 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
SEA has some 752 and 753 frequencies right now ... that puts it up there with MCO, BOS, and LAS as key spokes.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Sorry to bump an old thread, but there is a possibility that I will be moving to Seattle before the end of this year. I'm currently based in SFO.

For international, I fly mostly to Seoul and Tokyo so it seems to make most sense to switch to Delta, as they provide non-stop service to both destinations.
However I'm also quite conflicted about earning miles on Delta, as it was very hard to use their miles when I flew with them briefly before. UA just makes it much easier to use the miles.

Also, I can just take the *A flights to both Seoul (OZ) and Tokyo (NH) which is probably better than what DL offers - I can then credit the *A miles to UA. (would be missing out on MM program however...)
In this case it would make sense to get to UA Gold for *A Gold status but not more than that - being UA Plat or 1K doesn't do anything for OZ or NH flights?

Choices choices...
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by maverickar15
Sorry to bump an old thread, but there is a possibility that I will be moving to Seattle before the end of this year. I'm currently based in SFO.

For international, I fly mostly to Seoul and Tokyo so it seems to make most sense to switch to Delta, as they provide non-stop service to both destinations.
However I'm also quite conflicted about earning miles on Delta, as it was very hard to use their miles when I flew with them briefly before. UA just makes it much easier to use the miles.

Also, I can just take the *A flights to both Seoul (OZ) and Tokyo (NH) which is probably better than what DL offers - I can then credit the *A miles to UA. (would be missing out on MM program however...)
In this case it would make sense to get to UA Gold for *A Gold status but not more than that - being UA Plat or 1K doesn't do anything for OZ or NH flights?

Choices choices...
Quite often AC,UA and NH have super cheap business fares ex-YVR (routed back via SEA or nonstop from YVR) which you can look into as an option.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
considering what he did, jeff really hated seattle (killed asian flights, closed seattle flight attendant hub, ...). delta and alaska suck but own it. nh to tokyo is great if you not need pqm. same for oz to icn. when i used to care about pqm, i went through sfo.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:03 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen

Quite often AC,UA and NH have super cheap business fares ex-YVR (routed back via SEA or nonstop from YVR) which you can look into as an option.
That last sale that I took advantage of also included EVA flights, though my December flights were all NH. The 789 to 788 (regional Asia barcalounger Biz seats) sub on NRT flight REALLY sucked

Back to 789 now or pretty soon, unless NH does another one

Originally Posted by randyqx
considering what he did, jeff really hated seattle (killed asian flights, closed seattle flight attendant hub, ...).
UA definitely retreated from SEA post merger, BUT that SEA-NRT flight didn't really make sense for UA. I loved it, almost certain GPU clearing, which is probably why UA discontinued it.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
If you get a nexus card and you live north of downtown Seattle then YVR/land crossing is worth considering. with the CA$ cross rate asian flights are very cheap and plentiful. I like CI and their new A350 but EVA is also excellent. There is just so much more selection and cheaper flights (in US$) to asia in YVR than ex-SEA. By the time you board the trans-border connection flight you are nearly to Northgate ex-traffic. It wouldn't work as well if you lived south of downtown.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by spin88
The food is slightly better at the Centurion Lounge (and they have freshly made rice crispy treats ) as is the wine, but there is no view and its crowded. Space/ambiance wise the A1 SkyClub is hands down better, and blows away any UA club, including the new one in LHR, and I think is nicer than Delta's T4 one at JFK which was IMHO the best in their system.
I’ll 100% agree here, except that I think the Skyclub at A1 in SEA is the only one that I’ve seen that beats out the old C-North, current C-South, and new C-North at IAH - just the right amount of space and good ambiance/atmosphere/decor for me. YMMV though and I understand my opinion isn’t widely held :P

That being said, I think it’s something that UA has (from my non-statistical and non-analytical analysis) a higher percentage of mainline out of SEA than UX. I’m flying there right now and couldn’t find an E75 to save my life :P
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by EmailKid
That last sale that I took advantage of also included EVA flights, though my December flights were all NH. The 789 to 788 (regional Asia barcalounger Biz seats) sub on NRT flight REALLY sucked

Back to 789 now or pretty soon, unless NH does another one ....
When NH is running the regional business seats ex-YVR, you can route your trip via SEA, SFO or LAX if any of those segments have P class, and either take the Air Canada puddle jumper in Y class down to SEA, or a UA/AC flight to another gateway in P class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.