Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wi-Fi Subscription - Q&A, issues, ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United WiFi subscription.
First announced in early 2017, withdrawn and then re-introduced Feb 2018

Appears to be the same as the originally proposed pricing
Annual is 11x monthly; North America & Central America or Global option

Originally Posted by mozilla
For some reason, they put a wrong link on the MP account overview page.

The new Wi-Fi subscription is handled by the same general subscription management interface which also covers subscriptions for United Club, Economy+, etc.

Here is the correct link: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/subscription/wifi

Pricing depends on the term and the covered geographical region:

North America and Central America, monthly: $49 or 7,540 miles
North America and Central America, annual: $539 or 82,930 miles
Global, monthly: $69 or 10,620 miles
Global, annual: $759 or 82,930 miles

Yes, I've noticed the discrepancy, same mileage pricing in both annual options, but that's what it says right now.

Subscribers can change the geographic region where they want to use a subscription from the North and Central America region to Global at any time. Subscribers cannot switch from a Global subscription to a North and Central America subscription.

As with the other subscriptions, it is possible to gift a Wi-Fi subscription to someone else.
On 8 May 2017, some received
Originally Posted by dok_indo
Hard to believe this is true, but here's an email I just received from UA:

We have some important information about your United Wi-FiSM subscription purchase on April 10, 2017.

Due to a technical issue, we offered United Wi-Fi subscriptions before we were fully ready to make them available. We have since removed the option to purchase United Wi-Fi subscriptions.

The good news is that you can still use your subscription until December 31, 2017, and you’ll receive a full refund for your purchase. United Wi-Fi subscriptions will also be available for purchase again soon.

We hope you enjoy your subscription, and we’re sorry for any confusion that this may have caused.

United Airlines Wi-Fi Team
Print Wikipost

United Wi-Fi Subscription - Q&A, issues, ...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:09 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
A certain AMEX product (Hilton Ascend IIRC) provides rebates on airline ancillary purchases

would something like this qualify? May make the math more palatable
A number of cards have rebates encompassing various different categories of thing, whether specific to airlines or generically travel-related, and some or all of them probably have FT threads in each credit card forum for tracking data points on this sort of thing.

As a general rule it comes down to how the merchant is coded when the transaction is posted to the account. If it looks like any other united.com purchase, then probably yes. If it's billed through some other intermediary, then it's sketchier.

So I would think probably yes, but there are no guarantees.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The links to the subscription page are all messed up. To get there d this:
- Sign into united.com
- Go to this link: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/subscription/home
- Find the WiFi subscription.

I'm not certain my monthly one will renew because when I list my subscriptions it shows AutoRenew as "off"
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If wifi is still not working on the new 777-300s, and the suscrption T+C appears to show a "too bad" clause, I assume it's a likely waste of money to buy the subscription. What is the customary per-flight cost on the 773 TPAC so I can at least compare the cost of 2x domestic long haul plus 2x international TPAC in one month?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by bocastephen
If wifi is still not working on the new 777-300s, and the suscrption T+C appears to show a "too bad" clause, I assume it's a likely waste of money to buy the subscription. What is the customary per-flight cost on the 773 TPAC so I can at least compare the cost of 2x domestic long haul plus 2x international TPAC in one month?
TPACs range from $27-$32. I've had it work on 777-200s and 777-300s (and previously 747s) all in that range. No rhyme or reason on the exact dollar amount I can see.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wxguy
TPACs range from $27-$32. I've had it work on 777-200s and 777-300s (and previously 747s) all in that range. No rhyme or reason on the exact dollar amount I can see.
So assuming 2x transcons at 16.99 each plus 2x TPAC at say 25.00 each, the separate cost is $85 or more vs $69 for the subscription provided I remember to cancel it before the auto-renew period.

Again, the only concern is if it connects and flat out doesn't work - if I pay per segment, I can ask for a refund, but if I have a subscription and one or both TPAC flights are unusable, it sounds like I am SOL.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Will this work on flights that technically still have GOGO onboard even though it is united metal?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
I don't get the customer-retention model here. If somebody is flying two transcons and two TPACs a month, UA not only has a lock on their travel business but also on a large fraction of their waking and sleeping hours. These prices may make that frequent flyer feel better, but how many more ticket purchases will they generate?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by DCA writer
I don't get the customer-retention model here. If somebody is flying two transcons and two TPACs a month, UA not only has a lock on their travel business but also on a large fraction of their waking and sleeping hours. These prices may make that frequent flyer feel better, but how many more ticket purchases will they generate?
That's just in one month...I don't do that every month and might not fly again at all until may so I want to make sure I can cancel the subscription
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Originally Posted by nmenaker
Will this work on flights that technically still have GOGO onboard even though it is united metal?
yes. I flew today on a GoGo PS flight Ewr to lax and there is a brand new log in option for "United wifi" below the GoGo account login. I didn't use it but my bet is that it will work.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
A certain AMEX product (Hilton Ascend IIRC) provides rebates on airline ancillary purchases

would something like this qualify? May make the math more palatable
Originally Posted by Zorak
A number of cards have rebates encompassing various different categories of thing, whether specific to airlines or generically travel-related, and some or all of them probably have FT threads in each credit card forum for tracking data points on this sort of thing.

As a general rule it comes down to how the merchant is coded when the transaction is posted to the account. If it looks like any other united.com purchase, then probably yes. If it's billed through some other intermediary, then it's sketchier.

So I would think probably yes, but there are no guarantees.
Assuming that Hilton Amex credit works just like the Platinum card, then yes from my experience. Amex does call out that the credit isn't for internet. However, United is unique that onboard internet charges (excluding gogo on PS and UX) code as UA and therefore, trigger the credit.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by bocastephen
So assuming 2x transcons at 16.99 each plus 2x TPAC at say 25.00 each, the separate cost is $85 or more vs $69 for the subscription provided I remember to cancel it before the auto-renew period.

Again, the only concern is if it connects and flat out doesn't work - if I pay per segment, I can ask for a refund, but if I have a subscription and one or both TPAC flights are unusable, it sounds like I am SOL.
My track record is that I put in for a refund about one in three TPAC flights, as the service is so poor/slow/spotty/quits entirely. Plus, I can expense the Wifi on business trips, but would not be able to expense a subscription. So I'm sticking with the session-by-session purchase strategy.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
When you log on to your account you get this screen (I had to split it into two screenshots). It was very easy.

Old Feb 3, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JHake10

Assuming that Hilton Amex credit works just like the Platinum card, then yes from my experience. Amex does call out that the credit isn't for internet. However, United is unique that onboard internet charges (excluding gogo on PS and UX) code as UA and therefore, trigger the credit.
thanks. Though the annual subscription wouldn’t be done onboard, so it may not code as to be eligible for the CC rebate?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
Bought a WiFi subscription and I am on an Express flight this morning. Gogo won’t recognize that I have a subscription (bought it on Saturday and United.com shows the subscription is active. Gogo chat help says they don’t have a United subscription; I sent the rep the website and she still claims they don’t. Yet, the airborne.gogo... website shows a login place for subscribers.

Anyone with insight here? Gogo gave me a feee login for this morning but I am hopeful it’s just a bug given the service is new. Is it fair to assume it should work with gogo on UX flights?? The T&Cs seem to indicate it should.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by jmcintosh
Bought a WiFi subscription and I am on an Express flight this morning. Gogo won’t recognize that I have a subscription (bought it on Saturday and United.com shows the subscription is active. Gogo chat help says they don’t have a United subscription; I sent the rep the website and she still claims they don’t. Yet, the airborne.gogo... website shows a login place for subscribers.

Anyone with insight here? Gogo gave me a feee login for this morning but I am hopeful it’s just a bug given the service is new. Is it fair to assume it should work with gogo on UX flights?? The T&Cs seem to indicate it should.
Please refrain from contacting Gogo's CS with questions regarding the UAL WiFi subscription, as it's not a Gogo subscription. See quote below mentioning probable access to UAL WiFi subscription benefits using another link separate from the Gogo login screen:

Originally Posted by dkc715

yes. I flew today on a GoGo PS flight Ewr to lax and there is a brand new log in option for "United wifi" below the GoGo account login. I didn't use it but my bet is that it will work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.