Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wi-Fi Subscription - Q&A, issues, ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United WiFi subscription.
First announced in early 2017, withdrawn and then re-introduced Feb 2018

Appears to be the same as the originally proposed pricing
Annual is 11x monthly; North America & Central America or Global option

Originally Posted by mozilla
For some reason, they put a wrong link on the MP account overview page.

The new Wi-Fi subscription is handled by the same general subscription management interface which also covers subscriptions for United Club, Economy+, etc.

Here is the correct link: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/subscription/wifi

Pricing depends on the term and the covered geographical region:

North America and Central America, monthly: $49 or 7,540 miles
North America and Central America, annual: $539 or 82,930 miles
Global, monthly: $69 or 10,620 miles
Global, annual: $759 or 82,930 miles

Yes, I've noticed the discrepancy, same mileage pricing in both annual options, but that's what it says right now.

Subscribers can change the geographic region where they want to use a subscription from the North and Central America region to Global at any time. Subscribers cannot switch from a Global subscription to a North and Central America subscription.

As with the other subscriptions, it is possible to gift a Wi-Fi subscription to someone else.
On 8 May 2017, some received
Originally Posted by dok_indo
Hard to believe this is true, but here's an email I just received from UA:

We have some important information about your United Wi-FiSM subscription purchase on April 10, 2017.

Due to a technical issue, we offered United Wi-Fi subscriptions before we were fully ready to make them available. We have since removed the option to purchase United Wi-Fi subscriptions.

The good news is that you can still use your subscription until December 31, 2017, and you’ll receive a full refund for your purchase. United Wi-Fi subscriptions will also be available for purchase again soon.

We hope you enjoy your subscription, and we’re sorry for any confusion that this may have caused.

United Airlines Wi-Fi Team
Print Wikipost

United Wi-Fi Subscription - Q&A, issues, ...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: United Global Services,Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
Has anyone noticed the quality dropping off a cliff lately with the connections?

Over the last month or so I have been far more miss then hit on having any form of connection that was usable for email, instant messaging, and/or basic web browsing.

Frequently I buy the service, then have it simply die on me within 10 min or so.

I send notes to the global services folks complaining and they will sometimes give me some miles, but what's the optimal way to get compensated for the failure? More to the point when are they going to fix the issues?

Scott
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
united.com/refunds

This is why I have not bought a subscription -- the probability of a decent experience is low.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by meducate
I inquired about auto-renew via email to the IT support desk, and they told me that auto-renew is not yet available.
Interesting. I bought the annual subscription and I had to manually turn auto-renew off - it was on by default.

On another note - I have noticed that on my several transcons the last few weeks the price has gone way way up for the full flight option. Definitely makes the subscription if not better, less disagreeable? It's now the second worst option? However you look at it.

On a tertiary note: I have had problems loggin in. I get to a point where there is a button to log in and it does nothing (using Firefox / Focus on Android usually). If I hold down on the button and "open in a new tab" I can then navigate to the next page and continue. Must be some sort of funky javascript that isn't executing for me.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
How easy is it to share a subscription with a family member?

Do they just need your MP# and password, or do those crazy security questions pop up?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
How easy is it to share a subscription with a family member?...
You may want to review the wifi subscription T&Cs
Subscriptions may only be used by the subscriber on a flight and on one device at a time. Your subscription is non-transferable and it is against our policy for your subscription to be used on a flight that you are not on.
It would be relatively easy for UA to cross check the use of the subscription with the passenger manifest.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You may want to review the wifi subscription T&Cs

It would be relatively easy for UA to cross check the use of the subscription with the passenger manifest.
Thanks, didn't even notice the separate T&C's. Not going to play with fire by sharing
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Interesting. I bought the annual subscription and I had to manually turn auto-renew off - it was on by default.

On another note - I have noticed that on my several transcons the last few weeks the price has gone way way up for the full flight option. Definitely makes the subscription if not better, less disagreeable? It's now the second worst option? However you look at it.

On a tertiary note: I have had problems loggin in. I get to a point where there is a button to log in and it does nothing (using Firefox / Focus on Android usually). If I hold down on the button and "open in a new tab" I can then navigate to the next page and continue. Must be some sort of funky javascript that isn't executing for me.
Interesting! I didn't see annual as an option for me. I will say that, despite the occasional inoperable wifi on a flight, the subscription saves me money.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Quick update: I noticed this week on two flights that iPass now seems to be working with the 737’s/753’s (wth DirecTV). I was able to connect seamlessly on my phone and laptop and it was very refreshing to see, so credit where credit is due if they are finally getting it integrated.

Doesnt help that my WiFi reliability is still under 50% for the year and 3 of the other flights this week were completely inop (keeping up with my standard rate).
oopl likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:45 am

About 80% of my flights this month (long-haul) have had in-operable wifi for a variety of reasons; either no SSID appears, portal is down, or non-existent data once logged in.

While submitting refunds for individual wifi purchases is easy when it doesn't work as planned, trying to get a refund for a subscription is a small nightmare. Submitted my displeasure to 1KVoice and that I would like a refund for my subscription this month. They blindly forwarded it to refunds, and web support reached out to claim it is non-refundable.

Needless to say, until wifi improves I won't be using a subscription...
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Got a bunch of travel where even 50% useful would make sense, so booked a single monthy wifi subscription

email promptly received
A United Wi-Fi subscription has been successfully added to your MileagePlus Account

Thank you for your purchase of a United Wi-Fi subscription. Your United Wi-Fi subscription has been successfully added to your MileagePlus account and you can begin to use it anytime.
Your subscription will be valid until: 08/14/2018
Receipt:

Your full receipt is attached as a PDF to this email.
except no attached PDF, not a great start.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
About 80% of my flights this month (long-haul) have had in-operable wifi for a variety of reasons; either no SSID appears, portal is down, or non-existent data once logged in.

While submitting refunds for individual wifi purchases is easy when it doesn't work as planned, trying to get a refund for a subscription is a small nightmare. Submitted my displeasure to 1KVoice and that I would like a refund for my subscription this month. They blindly forwarded it to refunds, and web support reached out to claim it is non-refundable.

Needless to say, until wifi improves I won't be using a subscription...
Did you escalate any further? I am probably going to push for a refund for mine, as since I subscribed:

ONT SFO - inoperable wifi until just before landing
SFO HKG - unusable wifi throughout the flight - barely dial-up speed. Received lots of app notifications, but unable to do anything with them until after arrival and on local data
NRT SFO - wifi inoperable throughout the flight
SFO ONT - wifi operable - finally, one flight!
LAX ORD - next week, not holding my breath
ORD YYZ - next week, not holding my breath
YYZ ORD - following week....likewise
ORD LAX - following week....if it works, knock me over with a feather

So, if the last 4 segments in my subscription sequence fail to deliver, I will certainly be demanding a refund and getting Amex involved to dispute if needed.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:04 pm

I also recommend NOT buying a subscription - my experience so far:

I was on a flight with a $15 full-flight wifi charge. I figured the $49 sub would pay for itself over the next few weeks and several segments. So, I purchased it through my account online. Then, I went to login as a subscriber, and kept getting an error that there was no subscription tied to my account. Turns out in the fine print that it says it can take 24 hours to activate your subscription, even though they take the charge right away? That should be front and center during the purchase.

Then, on my 2nd segment, which was gogo, the gogo landing page wouldn't show up - others had the same issue, getting an error screen trying to load the gogo gateway.

Like others here, I frequently have connection issues, drop outs, reboots of the airplane wifi, etc - United has been good at processing refunds when this happens.

Now, the subscription is supposedly non-refundable. That part IS pretty clearly expressed during the purchase process. So, any issues and you have no recourse other than a credit card dispute?

Also, my status shows auto-renew is on and that I can turn it off in my account, but I can't find that option anywhere - only the option to upgrade to the global subscription!

Definitely not worth a subscription - wish I had read more of this thread beforehand. If someone knows a successful way to refund, please share.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by alchemista
Now, the subscription is supposedly non-refundable. That part IS pretty clearly expressed during the purchase process. So, any issues and you have no recourse other than a credit card dispute?
I had no issue getting a full refund from united.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: United, Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Hilton
Great experience

I used points for gobal annual subcscription and could not be happier. 95% of flights it works, my routes often have internet capability on the full route. On 3% where it did not work a flight attendant or pilot reset the system and it started working. The remaining 2% it was definitely broke and did not work. It just depends on you route and how much you fly. If the 2% experience was my route and sliver status or less travel then I would be very upset.

I am 1k with 240,000 miles so far this year. Routes to South America tend not to have Internet on the entire flight due to coverage. Routes to Asia appear to all have Internet nearly the full flight.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
I had no issue getting a full refund from united.
Who did you contact and what was your story?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.