Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa strikes again

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Lufthansa strikes again

I want to call United to see if our flights home from VCE can be changed. We are currently booked on Lufthansa. On our way over we had to be rebooked because of a pilot strike. This is the 2nd time we've gotten caught in strike by Lufthansa. I really had my heart set on my first 747 experience.

Now I'd like to try another option.

Any suggestions for best partner to go with for UA?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
You should be calling Lufthansa, they're responsible for rebooking you.

United might rebook you, but may not offer as many options as Lufthansa.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell
You should be calling Lufthansa, they're responsible for rebooking you.

United might rebook you, but may not offer as many options as Lufthansa.
Our flight goes through FRA. 1 hr. 55 min. layover. 330-300.

Delta has 4 options. 2 are possibilities. 3 hr. 25 min connection in CDG (AF 330-200) or 4 hr. 25 min. connection AMS ( 330-300 KLM).

Thoughts?

I can't find other options getting from VCE - DTW with only 1 stop.

(Oh yes I did find an option: VCE-LHR (BA); 2 hr. Connection; KLM LHR-DTW. seems like all 2 hrs. Would be racing to make connection.)

Last edited by gardengirl; Nov 29, 2016 at 5:39 pm
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What cabin are you in?

I don't think it really matters, I'd just take the best timed departure or arrival.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell
What cabin are you in?

I don't think it really matters, I'd just take the best timed departure or arrival.
We're in business
Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I don't know when you're travelling but you could train over to Milan. There's plenty of BF tomorrow to EWR. Train cost to Milan is cheaper than private water taxi to VCE airport.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 29, 2016 at 6:14 pm
Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Looks like any of the SkyTeam (or BA to DL/VS at LHR) partners via AMS/CDG should be able to get to DTW with one stop. I'd personally connect via AMS since that would be the most seamless transfer.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gardengirl
We're in business
Then I wouldn't take BA. Either AF or KL.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I don't know when you're travelling but you could train over to Milan. There's plenty of BF tomorrow to EWR. Train cost to Milan is cheaper than private water taxi to VCE airport.
Actually we're in Vicenza. The plan is to head to Venice for our flights home. I considered going to Milan as weVe flown out of there before. I'm at a loss, though, as to your reference to BF. Do you mean AF?

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Flyer talkers were such a help to me this past Spring when we visited our DD. We had long layover in LHR and received step by step instructions on how to turn it into a fun day with a play.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 30, 2016 at 5:54 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Nov 30, 2016, 5:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gardengirl
Our flight goes through FRA. 1 hr. 55 min. layover. 330-300.

Delta has 4 options. 2 are possibilities. 3 hr. 25 min connection in CDG (AF 330-200) or 4 hr. 25 min. connection AMS ( 330-300 KLM).

Thoughts?

I can't find other options getting from VCE - DTW with only 1 stop.

(Oh yes I did find an option: VCE-LHR (BA); 2 hr. Connection; KLM LHR-DTW. seems like all 2 hrs. Would be racing to make connection.)
AFAIK KLM doesn't fly LHR-DTW nonstop. It might be a codeshare operated by DL or even VS or this could be a connection which is perhaps called a direct flight with same same flight number through AMS.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 764toHI
Looks like any of the SkyTeam (or BA to DL/VS at LHR) partners via AMS/CDG should be able to get to DTW with one stop. I'd personally connect via AMS since that would be the most seamless transfer.
I don't have any experience going through AMS.

Can you explain what you mean when you refer to a seamless transfer? Are arrivals and departures in same terminal? If I opt for 4 hr. Layover what amount of that time will be used up with passport check type stuff? I wouldn't mind some lounge time if it's a nice one.

Trying to have a bigger picture before calling Lufthansa. If they push to keep us going through FRA it seems all transfer time will be getting from plane to plane...no lounge.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:03 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
last year I was caught in venice because of a Lufthansa strike. the problem was, it was impossible to get through to Lufthansa on the phone. I called the number on back of my gold card. the ua agent called Lufthansa and got them to release the ticket back to them. she then put us on air Brussels to bru and then united home from there. Lufthansa seems to strike a lot.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Your post is confusing. When are you traveling and why is this posted on the UA board if you are "booked" on LH?

If it is anything but the day of travel, call the ticketing carrier. If that is UA, call UA. If that is LH, call LH. If it is the day of travel, it is the responsibility of the carrier causing the delay/cancellation to handle the accommodation. That would be LH.

If you do not regularly deal with LH, check spam filters and the like for LH emails because you may have a proactive reroute already. UA may or may not see that.

Lastly, whether you wind up dealing with LH or UA, have a list of preferred options. As you can imagine, every time LH cancels a day's worth of TATL flights, thousands of passengers are stranded and acommodating them fills aircraft quickly. So, act quickly and be prepared with that list.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
OP - Your post is confusing. When are you traveling and why is this posted on the UA board if you are "booked" on LH?

If it is anything but the day of travel, call the ticketing carrier. If that is UA, call UA. If that is LH, call LH. If it is the day of travel, it is the responsibility of the carrier causing the delay/cancellation to handle the accommodation. That would be LH.

If you do not regularly deal with LH, check spam filters and the like for LH emails because you may have a proactive reroute already. UA may or may not see that.

Lastly, whether you wind up dealing with LH or UA, have a list of preferred options. As you can imagine, every time LH cancels a day's worth of TATL flights, thousands of passengers are stranded and acommodating them fills aircraft quickly. So, act quickly and be prepared with that list.
I am trying to proactively get a plan. Hence, this thread.

We fly Saturday. I called UA. They would move me for no charge but all she could see were flights with 2 stops. She couldn't look into Delta until our flights are announced as cancelled. Currently our flights look like they may be a go. In 24 hrs I will keep checking.

Like the other poster, when we were caught by a strike last September there was no way to get in touch with Lufthansa. We had to wait for hours at the ticketing desk in BOS. While waiting I called Chase concierge service who told me of a delta flight. It wasn't on Lufthansa's list of possibles but we got rebooked to it. Very nice ride to make up for bad situation. If Lufthansa does send out notice of strike I hope to get seat on Delta through AMS.

Seems most simple option.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1

If it is anything but the day of travel, call the ticketing carrier. If that is UA, call UA.
The ticketing carrier has no reason to rebook when the flight hasn't been cancelled yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.