Wiki Posts
Search

Human Paper Shredder in F?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2016, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Unhappy Human Paper Shredder in F?

Flying last week in FC on UA 28 from LHR to EWR. Only 6 seats in F cabin in 1+1+1 configuration--I am in 1A. In 1C (middle row), I see a fellow with a stack of papers and legal pads stacked at least four inches high. I assume he is preparing for a nice stretch of uninterrupted time to go through some knotty materials. Right after takeoff, I put on the eyshades, recline and fall asleep...until I am awakened after lunch service by the sound of tearing paper. I look over and observe: he is examining individual pages and then tears each individual page, folds and tears a total of three times to make small squares (which he also stacks). This goes on for a while, I put in the ear plugs from the amenity kit, but can still hear the shredding over the engine noise. I resort to iphone with earbuds and play music to drown out the shredding. I am not a hypersensitive guy, and frequently put up with a lot because I know that hey, not everything is perfect when traveling, but I must admit this was very annoying and went on for several hours. If it was confidential material he was concerned about protecting, I don't think a UA galley bin is secure. I assume in the absence of another F pax complaint, the FA's were reluctant to intervene, but I have to believe the other pax in the cabin were pretty aware. Should I have mentioned something to the FA? Thanks!
Old Nov 21, 2016, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Just point out to him that it is bothering you, and likely others.

Most people will stop doing annoying things once they are alerted that it is annoying. I doubt he even thought that it might bother others.

Cheers,

Doc
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Maybe it is a way for him to cope with a fear of flying?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Maybe it is a way for him to cope with a fear of flying?
Or he was making his own pillow?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:38 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Don't they burn all garbage from international flights? Maybe he just wanted a free shredding service!
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by milepig
Or he was making his own pillow?
Sounds like nesting behavior to me...
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Years ago I was on a flight with Robert Crandell when he was still the CEO of American and he did the same thing during a flight from BOS - DFW.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:07 pm

I actually do think they burn everything on incoming international flights.

Not to derail this thread, but if I were trying to dispose of documents, especially that I knew others were looking for, this would seem to be a pretty secure way to do it. You can be nearly certain you're not being followed/watched. You know the material will get incinerated. Obviously tearing it to little pieces in full view of 5 other people probably indicates this isn't what the person was doing, and it was definitely odd. I'd have asked the FA to intervene... I think.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 7:23 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
This reminds me of some idiot I was in the EWR UC with a couple months ago who was watching videos on his phone at full volume at a relatively quiet time in the lounge. I could hear word for word what was being said at a distance of about 20 feet.

I asked him to knock it off, and he did - after a puzzled and incredulous look and apologizing for "offending me".
Old Nov 22, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Peculiar. I've definitely brought stacks of reading materials on planes, and filled up some trash bins with them. But anything that I wouldn't want someone else to read I keep with me and dispose of where I know it's okay.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
On an international flight, I'd worry more if I observed someone shredding a passport.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
I've seen this happen on several flights, and it never struck me as odd and it didn't bother me at all. In fact, I was jealous over the amount of work some people are able to get done on flights.

As I think about it, I am surprised that the sound didn't bother me, as I am a card-carrying member of the misophonics of America. Almost every sound annoys me!
Old Nov 22, 2016, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by meducate
As I think about it, I am surprised that the sound didn't bother me, as I am a card-carrying member of the misophonics of America. Almost every sound annoys me!
Thanks for the new word. I definitely relate.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 8:36 am

Any of you ever see the movie "The Langoliers"?

In the movie Craig Toomey was shredding paper on the plane as a way to cope with the plane getting diverted from Boston, and the other passengers couldn't stand it. Reminds me of your story....

If I was in your shoes, I'd ask him directly to stop, see what he says.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by meducate
I've seen this happen on several flights, and it never struck me as odd and it didn't bother me at all. In fact, I was jealous over the amount of work some people are able to get done on flights.

I guess on a westbound it is a good way to stay awake. The small pieces are interesting. In half makes it clear what has been gone through. At least he wasn't eating them.

Is the burning to make sure that there are no animals/bugs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.