Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fortune article on Oscar, UA changes over last year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2016, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

In depth article on Oscar's year at United, personal and professional - good read if you're into the business side of the airline

http://fortune.com/united-airlines-ceo-oscar-munoz/

- Heart attack itself was worse than just the attack, he broke his nose in a fall trying to open the door for paramedics
- Oscar insisted Bethune couldn't be chairman because it would flare up old rivalries
- He thinks all the amenities are the same, airlines always leapfrog, so people are the difference
- UA board had started a search for a new CEO after the investigation into NJ issues picked up, but hadn't found anyone and Oscar was in the right place
- Kirby was pushed aside by AA two weeks before UA picked him up (AA had told him Isom got promoted). UA got wind of it and made him the offer.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Thanks for sharing. While the article may be a little gratuitous, it really does seem like Oscar is the rare type of leader who knows how to reach into the soul of a company and manage effectively to the benefit of everyone involved. It's interesting too to read that the board knew that they had to get rid of Smisek fast. That really shows how much of a disaster his tenure and legacy were.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 6:47 pm

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Having been a loyal customer - and a United "enthusiast" since I was a kid living blocks away from United's MDW headquarters, I am delighted that after many, many years, United has a management that believes it can run a successful and profitable airline while providing friendly customer service.

My hat is off to Oscar. At least he is trying! He and the whole United family have come a long way in a year. It will be interesting to see how much better United can become.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 12:59 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I think we can all agree that United is fortunate to have such a thoughtful, caring leader.

At the same time, changes that are painful to customers and don't necessarily increase the bottom line (e.g. stranding United Club members behind security when meeting frail relatives or the whole basic economy thing) make me contemplate pivoting to another airline.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 2:47 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
I think we can all agree that United is fortunate to have such a thoughtful, caring leader.

At the same time, changes that are painful to customers and don't necessarily increase the bottom line (e.g. stranding United Club members behind security when meeting frail relatives or the whole basic economy thing) make me contemplate pivoting to another airline.
Just a correction: United did not eliminate gate passes to "meet frail relatives". They eliminated gate passes to avail yourselves of UC facilities while not traveling. You may still get a gate pass for the former.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
They didn't say it directly, but they made like nothing was done to improve on time performance other than boosting morale. This aligns with what we saw anecdotally, that on time improved immediately on Smisek's departure.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Apparently a long piece on Oscar in Fortune. He gives some opinions on running an airline and on hiring Kirby:

In a long piece from Fortune on Oscar Munoz’s tenure at United we learn that Munoz:

- doesn’t think airline product improvements matter, every airline matches with the same - product and then outdoes the other

- union employees have to be paid what their peers at other airlines are paid, so you just do copycat agreements to get a contract or else you have bad service and bad operations

We also get this explanation about Scott Kirby’s move from American to United,

The story of how American’s president landed at United is a closely guarded secret, but Fortune has learned that Munoz and the board heard Kirby would be leaving American about two weeks before his departure. In a surprise move, American’s board had decided to promote its COO, Robert Isom, to president—tabbing Isom as the heir apparent to CEO Doug Parker rather than Kirby, and forcing Kirby’s departure. United got a big break because Kirby wasn’t restricted by a noncompetition agreement that would have prevented him from joining another airline for an extended period. “I jumped on it right away,” says Munoz.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 19, 2016 at 1:29 pm Reason: Quote is from Fortune article
Old Nov 19, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by wco81
Apparently a long piece on Oscar in Fortune. He gives some opinions on running an airline and on hiring Kirby:
I don't think it was a matter of product doesn't matter - it is just that it is a continual evolution, so that is never going to be 'perfect'. Frankly, it is the service / soft product that is more likely to make people come back over time.

Of course, YMMV...for me, I don't care as much about how much people smile at me; as long as the service is competent, that's what I care about. The customer service for Premier customers for things like changing flights is far more important.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I don't think it was a matter of product doesn't matter - it is just that it is a continual evolution, so that is never going to be 'perfect'. Frankly, it is the service / soft product that is more likely to make people come back over time.

Of course, YMMV...for me, I don't care as much about how much people smile at me; as long as the service is competent, that's what I care about. The customer service for Premier customers for things like changing flights is far more important.
I don't care if they smile at me, but I don't like it when they actively treat me like dirt, which happened far too often.

Last edited by milepig; Nov 19, 2016 at 7:18 pm
Old Nov 19, 2016, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
impressive man, lets hope his new heart works for a long time because he has a young family.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 5:07 pm

Interesting read. If smisek was around any longer i would have left for AA already but there has been some slight improvement sonve oscar took over like snack boxes for 1ks in the back of the plane. Better morale from customer service on the phone and at the airport. Gives me hope. But it still seems like ua implementing all the cuts other airlines are trying still.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So Oscar loses his job (or early retirement for health reasons or spend more time with his family) over the bad publicity in ORD and the deserved poor PR and Kerby takes over?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by wco81
So Oscar loses his job (or early retirement for health reasons or spend more time with his family) over the bad publicity in ORD and the deserved poor PR and Kerby takes over?
Oscar's statements today were incredibly disappointing. He has already done more for this airline than his predecessor did in five years. After his whole push to focus on people and realize that his airline is a *personal* issue for everyone involved, I'm shocked at the statement he wrote to the press and the email he sent to staff. Not sure if he should lose his job over it, and I think there's a lot of blame to go around for all parties involved, but it's astounding at how UA hasn't gotten any better at PR than that time in the Smisek era when they had a whole 763 full of people sleep in military barracks in Goose Bay because of mx and they barely said a word about it to the public.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: AA, DL, WN
focus on "people", I'm guessing that means "united people", not "pay customers people"?

United will single handedly get overbooking rules changed by Fed with this horrific situation.

I heard its already a big news in China, b/c the pax is an Asian (perhaps Chinese). What are the chances Chinese government demands revoking or reduction of UAL's direct flights to China? How much would that worth?

Last edited by chrislevin; Apr 11, 2017 at 4:36 am
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Oscar's comment about "re accommodating the passenger" just made my jaw drop. That comment was incredulous. Who ever wrote that should be fired and Oscar should apologize for that insensitivity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.