Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Year end / split year elite flight credit [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2016, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Crediting for flights around year-end / New Years
Flight segments will be individually posted based on their scheduled departure (local) time. So a 23:50 (11:50PM) local time on Dec 31, 2017 will credit to earning year 2017. If the scheduled time is 00:30 (12:30AM) local time Jan 1, 2018 will credit to earning the year 2018.

Arrival time does not matter.

If the flight is delayed to after midnight, it will still credit based on the originally scheduled departure.

If canceled and re-scheduled, you can call / write and request Original Routing Credit (ORC).

If a direct flight with two segments, the two segments will post based on their individual scheduled departure time.

All the above is still true if the flight operator is slow in posting the flight credit, it will credit based on the scheduled departure year.

Print Wikipost

Year end / split year elite flight credit [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zspitzer
1) Is that correct? I thought UA did it by date/time of departure in the local time zone? ...
by SCHEDULED departure. So a delayed flight posts based on originally scheduled departure. A canceled and rescheduled flight posts based on new departure time but you can call and ask for ORC.

Originally Posted by zspitzer
2) The 1,725 PQM's don't matter to me for 2018, but they may end up being important come the end of 2019. Anyone have success calling in and getting them to credit the miles to a different day / year?
You can try but it would be an exception to policy

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 2, 2019 at 5:39 pm Reason: grammar
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
by SCHEDULED departure. So a delayed flight posts based on originally scheduled departure. A canceled and rescheduled flight posts based on new departure time but you can call and ask for ORC.
Ahhhhh, ok makes sense. Thank you!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Dec 31 departure credit

Hi everybody...before I call Mileage Plus to ask about this, thought I'd seek advice here first.
My SFO-SYD flight on Dec 31, was delayed a bit and took off after midnight so technically Jan 1. Any chance I might be successful at having it credit to 2019 earnings? I was way over my mileage last year and could you a kick start to all those zeros on my account!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Zero chance. Crediting is always based on the scheduled departure time of the flight, regardless of the time you actually took off.

If it had been cancelled and rescheduled as a new flight for the next day you might stand a chance, but it doesn't sound like that is what happened.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Thanks, no was not canceled or re-scheduled...Just delayed enough to push the take off to past midnight.....
Old May 24, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
I know this is looking way ahead and I am 99% sure of the answer but I'll ask anyways: If I take a red eye flight which departs on Dec 31st 2019 but arrives on Jan 1 2020, all the PQM for the flight count towards my 2019 earnings, correct? Is this written anywhere?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 24, 2019 at 6:55 pm Reason: moved to exisiting thread
Old May 24, 2019, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
I know this is looking way ahead and I am 99% sure of the answer but I'll ask anyways: If I take a red eye flight which departs on Dec 31st 2019 but arrives on Jan 1 2020, all the PQM for the flight count towards my 2019 earnings, correct? Is this written anywhere?
Yes. Based on the originally scheduled departure of each segment in the local time of the departure airport.
Old May 25, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by findark
Yes. Based on the originally scheduled departure of each segment in the local time of the departure airport.
Thanks. And if the flight is canceled due to weather, etc then I should get original routing credit if requested, correct? Its a long haul flight HNL - EWR so doubt they will cancel unless its a major blizzard on the east coast.
Old May 25, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Thanks. And if the flight is canceled due to weather, etc then I should get original routing credit if requested, correct? ....
yes
It is unclear how far you can push the reschedule and still get the ORC, but a few days shouldn't be a problem
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:00 pm

Purchase vs posting to account

I plan on taking a trip for nye. The return flight will be in 2020. If I purchase the round trip tickets in 2019 will both fights be logged toward my 2019 progress for United premier silver? Or do they only apply toward your progress after the flight is completed?

Last edited by Aglass2; Jun 12, 2019 at 7:01 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Aglass2
I plan on taking a trip for nye. The return flight will be in 2020. If I purchase the round trip tickets in 2019 will both fights be logged toward my 2019 progress for United premier silver? Or do they only apply toward your progress after the flight is completed?
segments post based on the year of their schedule departure. So those departing 2019 count toward 2019 and those in 2020 toward 2020.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 7:56 am

Earning PQM

All,

ive been researching but haven’t found a clear answer. When do you earn PQM? When you pay for the ticket or when you actually travel?

I am booking a round trip ticket that flys out on Dec 26 and returns on January 1st. I know the program is changing in 2020. It will put me within 500 miles of an upgrade status if I get credit when I pay for it vs when actually flying.

just wondering if I should do a PQM flight to get the status or not.

Thanks for any help!
Old Dec 1, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
You earn it based on when the flight is taken. Therefore, you will earn zero PQM for your 1/1 flight because the metric will cease to exist.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
You earn it based on when the flight is taken. Therefore, you will earn zero PQM for your 1/1 flight because the metric will cease to exist.
Thank you! Disappointing but hood to know.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 12:30 pm

Flight Leaving in 2019 but landing in 2020

I am on a flight that departs December 31st 2019 but lands January 1st 2020. Will the PQD and PQM credit to the 2019 or 2020 qualification year. I really need to know because if it goes to the 2019 year it will get me platinum status!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.