Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA bump J to F to process J GPUs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K
Will UA bump J to F to process J GPUs?

Next week I have a friend flying from HKG to SFO on a W fare. I have applied one of my GPUs to his reservation. R = 0 so he is waitlisted. (He has no status so he will be at the bottom of the upgrade list - I've set his expectations low for the upgrade).

Currently J = 9 and F = 9. The seat map shows J almost full (one seat open) and F pretty much wide open (one seat taken).

I understand this since UA is happy to oversell J and just bump people to F as needed.

My question is: at the gate will they bump paying J customers to F in order to process GPUs from Y to J?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Toronto1970
Next week I have a friend flying from HKG to SFO on a W fare. I have applied one of my GPUs to his reservation. R = 0 so he is waitlisted. (He has no status so he will be at the bottom of the upgrade list - I've set his expectations low for the upgrade).

Currently J = 9 and F = 9. The seat map shows J almost full (one seat open) and F pretty much wide open (one seat taken).

I understand this since UA is happy to oversell J and just bump people to F as needed.

My question is: at the gate will they bump paying J customers to F in order to process GPUs from Y to J?
No. You will need to sponsor a GPU at the gate for a revenue J customer into F.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:15 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by mre5765
Hah, that would be an interesting way to have to sponsor an upgrade, paying twice.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Hmmm.. not quite. If J is oversold they will bump J pax to F but to accommodate J pax. I have seen Y to J upgrades get processed for any remaining J seats... but your friend has little chance due to status.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:19 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Hmmm.. not quite. If J is oversold they will bump J pax to F but to accommodate J pax. I have seen Y to J upgrades get processed for any remaining J seats... but your friend has little chance due to status.
UA will op-up to handle the oversold situation but not to create space for upgraders. If J is oversold, some may get 3 class F but not Y passengers will get J if all J is filled.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
No. Never. Here's what will happen (you can watch it all on the app):

1) 1 or 2 paid J passengers will upgrade to F, allowing one or two to move up from Y.

2) The remaining F seats will all be filled with non-paying United employees or their "buddies."

I see this over and over, to HKG and to Europe. The entire Non-rev standby list gets flushed straight into Global First, while lots of paying customers sit in Y with their W fares and their worthless GPUs. I can't remember a 3-class flight where at least half the F cabin wasn't non-rev.

Welcome to United, where employees always come first, and customers last!
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by porciuscato

1) 1 or 2 paid J passengers will upgrade to F, allowing one or two to move up from Y.

2) The remaining F seats will all be filled with non-paying United employees or their "buddies."
I am a little unclear; can you recommend a different strategy? Would it be better to leave an unlimited amount of unsold J inventory available for upgrade?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mre5765
Originally Posted by TA
Hah, that would be an interesting way to have to sponsor an upgrade, paying twice.
I once asked United whether I could do this -- several years ago now, ex Switzerland, iirc on ZRH-IAD. Agents were not interested in doing this (but mildly amused by the idea), and ultimately my waitlisted SWU cleared at the gate.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by runner450
I am a little unclear; can you recommend a different strategy? Would it be better to leave an unlimited amount of unsold J inventory available for upgrade?
Get rid of the ridiculous $400 copay and fare class requirements so that paying J customers can upgrade to F with a GPU or miles alone. That would free seats for Y passengers to upgrade into.

[Off-topic discussion edited by Moderator.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Nov 17, 2016 at 3:03 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
The alternative is to upgrade J to F to create space for Y pax with upgrades to J pending. The non-revs can take the Y seats that they would receive anyway if premium cabin space is full.

Put more clearly - United should take the cash/miles/upgrades instead of giving the space to NRSAs for free.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by drewguy
The alternative is to upgrade J to F to create space for Y pax with upgrades to J pending. The non-revs can take the Y seats that they would receive anyway if premium cabin space is full.

Put more clearly - United should take the cash/miles/upgrades instead of giving the space to NRSAs for free.
There is also another thing that could happen: instead of allocating F seats to NRSA pax, it might happen that there is *no* eligible NRSA pax waitlisted for an F seat. In that case, UA would let the GlobalFirst cabin go out with empty seats while coach-class passengers remained waitlisted for upgrades (leaving UA perhaps to refund the miles&money or instruments).

To the extent that this situation represents a problem, the "solution" is to eliminate GlobalFirst. Good news -- Oscar is on it!
Old Nov 17, 2016, 3:07 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note

A growing discussion about the salary and relative pay and benefits of those who travel as non-revs has been deleted or edited. Those posts can find a home in one of many apt, general threads about non-rev travel.

Let's keep this thread more finely focused on the moving up of J to F in order to process those in Economy who are waitlisted for a J upgrade. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by porciuscato
No. Never. Here's what will happen (you can watch it all on the app):

I see this over and over, to HKG and to Europe. The entire Non-rev standby list gets flushed straight into Global First, while lots of paying customers sit in Y with their W fares and their worthless GPUs. I can't remember a 3-class flight where at least half the F cabin wasn't non-rev.

Welcome to United, where employees always come first, and customers last!
This. Happened to me on SIN-NRT. GF was virtually empty the night before departure, and suddenly full the next day. A GS customer on paid business wanted an instrument supported upgrade, and he was shafted as well so that non-revs could party.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
This. Happened to me on SIN-NRT. GF was virtually empty the night before departure, and suddenly full the next day. A GS customer on paid business wanted an instrument supported upgrade, and he was shafted as well so that non-revs could party.
Do you mean at time of departure?

I find it difficult to believe that a GS, on paid J, on the upgrade list could be bypassed for NRSA travel. This is simply untrue and not how the system works.

Can you provide the flight date?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Do you mean at time of departure?

I find it difficult to believe that a GS, on paid J, on the upgrade list could be bypassed for NRSA travel. This is simply untrue and not how the system works.

Can you provide the flight date?
Yeah - whenever I've seen this the NRSAs are on the WL until they clear it at the gate. Perhaps they were some positive space folks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.