Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Searching for R space over more than one day at a time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

Looking to redeem some GPU's Phx-Lhr over Christmas. I haven't used the UA site in a while and when I went to do an advanced search I selected "redeem GPU" from the pull down and yes the results showed me what was or wasn't available right now. However when I selected to search other than a specific day of departure and choose a +/- 6 day time frame I wasn't shown options of what had GPU availability but only a grid showing roundtrip fares. Am I doing something wrong or you can only see GPU availability for one day at a time?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Looking to redeem some GPU's Phx-Lhr over Christmas. I haven't used the UA site in a while and when I went to do an advanced search I selected "redeem GPU" from the pull down and yes the results showed me what was or wasn't available right now. However when I selected to search other than a specific day of departure and choose a +/- 6 day time frame I wasn't shown options of what had GPU availability but only a grid showing roundtrip fares. Am I doing something wrong or you can only see GPU availability for one day at a time?
I wouldn't even count on this method to show one day's GPU availability properly. I always do a dummy booking in expert mode and look at the actual availability in fare buckets using Expert Mode. Open up "Details" and you should see exactly how much R space is available.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transportprof
I wouldn't even count on this method to show one day's GPU availability properly. I always do a dummy booking in expert mode and look at the actual availability in fare buckets using Expert Mode. Open up "Details" and you should see exactly how much R space is available.
Understood. I can see "details" when I search a specific departure date. It does not show "details" with the 6 days matrix.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:58 pm

Understood. I can see "details" when I search a specific departure date. It does not show "details" with the 6 days matrix.
Correct. I've never found a way to search the UA site for R space more than one day at a time.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Correct. I've never found a way to search the UA site for R space more than one day at a time.
Oh okay just thought I was doing something wrong. I know my chances are slim but hopefully I can find something. I don't care about my positioning flight in coach. I just want to redeem the GPU over the pond. My dates are open.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:45 pm

Happy hunting. I've found R space IAH-LHR this autumn and winter.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Happy hunting. I've found R space IAH-LHR this autumn and winter.
Was that your O&D? I thought you can only book married segments now.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Was that your O&D? I thought you can only book married segments now.
R should still clear per-segment.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by findark
R should still clear per-segment.
Correct. Clearing R space and married segments have little to do with one another. The only place is they intersect is that R availability in expert mode searches will always default to the lowest level (usually zero) on multi segment flights. That's why you should only check for R space one segment at a time, on the legs that you care most about e.g., those with BF cabins.
I recently booked YVR-LAX-MEL and LAX-MEL was R4 but YVR-LAX was R0. I'm waitlisted YVR-LAX, but clearing R on LAX-MEL for 15.5 hours is really what mattered on this booking.

Last edited by transportprof; Nov 8, 2016 at 10:01 am
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Correct. Clearing R space and married segments have little to do with one another. The only place is they intersect is that R availability in expert mode searches will always default to the lowest level (usually zero) on multi segment flights. That's why you should only check for R space one segment at a time, on the legs that you care most about e.g., those with BF cabins.
I recently booked YVR-LAX-MEL and on the outbound LAX-MEL was R4 but YVR-LAX was R0. I'm waitlisted YVR-LAX, but clearing R on LAX-MEL for 15.5 hours is really what mattered on this booking.
I see. So in advanced search (is there an expert mode setting?) should I be choosing the pull down "use GPU" option to search for R or instead put R in the "search by fare bucket" option?
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:10 am

I see. So in advanced search (is there an expert mode setting?) should I be choosing the pull down "use GPU" option to search for R or instead put R in the "search by fare bucket" option?
I never choose use GPU. I just do plain vanilla searches, open up details, and look for R space. I've found instances where use GPU filters out options that I was able to find R space on with simple, individual segment, searches in expert mode.
Bottom line: the more effort you put in to searching for R space the "hard" way - day by day, segment by segment, the more R space you're going to find! When you go for one of UA's "enhancements" in IT, you'll get screwed more often than not.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Bottom line: the more effort you put in to searching for R space the "hard" way - day by day, segment by segment, the more R space you're going to find! When you go for one of UA's "enhancements" in IT, you'll get screwed more often than not.
Words to live by and well said! ^
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
When dealing with UA IT the motto to keep in mind is "Embrace the suck" and just slog it out to find what you are looking for. It's a grind but beats being stuck in Y when you could have been in J.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips folks. Of course other than outbound on the 24th there is no GPU (R) available anywhere phx-lhr (as expected). I tried to search by fare class but got an error message saying R isn't a searchable fare class. When I clicked open the viewable "fare class" window R wasn't there.

I'm very flexible. It's just me and want to get to LHR anytime between 12/19 and back by 12/30. I'm sure something might pop up by then.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:33 am

Thanks for the tips folks. Of course other than outbound on the 24th there is no GPU (R) available anywhere phx-lhr (as expected). I tried to search by fare class but got an error message saying R isn't a searchable fare class. When I clicked open the viewable "fare class" window R wasn't there.

I'm very flexible. It's just me and want to get to LHR anytime between 12/19 and back by 12/30. I'm sure something might pop up by then.
Sounds like you're still applying filters to your search.
Don't apply anything - just search for xxx-LHR and open details to see what the fare buckets tell you. I guarantee you that there is R space hiding there somewhere - you just have to find the needle in the haystack.
I'd begin with each UA hub in this order: IAH, LAX, ORD, IAD, EWR, and SFO and search every day in your range for xxx-LHR. No filters, so special requests, just a vanilla coach one way booking and then disregard everything in the haystack except for the R bucket under "Details".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.