Wiki Posts
Search

Award availability Oceania

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2016, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Award availability Oceania

The only award availability I can see within Oceania is the island hopper route; if you have had better luck please let me know. Cheers.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Oceania is horrible for award tickets, mainly because UA doesn't cover it well.
There's this thread that might help: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lus-miles.html
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by narvik
Oceania is horrible for award tickets, mainly because UA doesn't cover it well.
There's this thread that might help: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lus-miles.html
OK good to know and thanks for the link.

With the new award rules (which I have only just recently got my head around how to get the best value), any multi-flight has to show on the united website....

OK, the only easy ways in an out of the zone on the UA website are GUM and HNL. However there is also very limited availability from TYO, TPE and AKL

OK looks like award redemption value in Oceania will be even worse now unless you want to just want to go between HNL and GUM (or any of the island hopper stops in between).

Availability in/out of GUM isn't too bad though

Bummer

Last edited by ermintrude; Nov 3, 2016 at 12:25 am Reason: added also very limited availability TYO, TPE and AKL
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by ermintrude
The only award availability I can see within Oceania is the island hopper route; if you have had better luck please let me know. Cheers.
Depends...where do you want to go in Oceania. Guam normally has decent availability but really depends where you want to go and when.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

I'm posting a response to me from 1K voice regarding this so people don't waste their time looking for award space within Oceania (except GUM, the island-hopper stops, YAP and ROR). Hopefully award space opens up on this; however I spoke to someone at UA corporate about this and to cut a long story short it looks unlikely.

from 1Kvoice:
There are times when travel to/from Oceania is available on Air New
Zealand via Auckland. Currently, Air New Zealand is the only airline
partner that may offer award inventory in this region. Unfortunately, I
was not able to find any award availability within the next several
months.

Last edited by ermintrude; Nov 3, 2016 at 12:25 am Reason: added YAP and ROR
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:45 pm

Ah, yes. Exactly. Air NZ has been notoriously & tremendously stingy in releasing award availability.

I hope all the new and recent players to AKL will bring them down a notch from their high horse.

Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Ah, yes. Exactly. Air NZ has been notoriously & tremendously stingy in releasing award availability.

I hope all the new and recent players to AKL will bring them down a notch from their high horse.
I've generally seen great award availability TPAC to AKL since the JV, but I think the issue here is the onward flight from AKL.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by findark
I've generally seen great award availability TPAC to AKL since the JV, but I think the issue here is the onward flight from AKL.
Aye, onward from AKL is extremely tough (just about non-existent?)

Regarding great award availability to AKL: well, UA is great. NZ still seems stingy. Especially when it comes to Business Saver, or direct flights.
Side note: I am just very pleased UA flies to AKL again. Interestingly they switched from 789 787 to three cabin sUA 772 since October 30th. They also now fly daily SFO-AKL.

Last edited by narvik; Nov 2, 2016 at 4:25 pm Reason: plane type
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's hard to say now that high season is coming. Before the JV, NZ J awards were unicorns (some say they were flatly never released). Last US summer I saw plenty of I space on the NZ nonstops, usually with a release time of T-90 days. Things look a bit tighter, although I found two AKL flights with I in the next two months.

In my experience UA has been stingy beyond belief with I space on SFO-AKL, but as they again realize that in fact no one pays for GF, they're dumping O space close in.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by findark
It's hard to say now that high season is coming. Before the JV, NZ J awards were unicorns (some say they were flatly never released). Last US summer I saw plenty of I space on the NZ nonstops, usually with a release time of T-90 days. Things look a bit tighter, although I found two AKL flights with I in the next two months.

In my experience UA has been stingy beyond belief with I space on SFO-AKL, but as they again realize that in fact no one pays for GF, they're dumping O space close in.
Interesting that your experience is quite different than mine. I guess if we at least get to AKL it doesn't matter how! ^

I've flown LAX-SYD on UA award and then paid SYD-AKL on NZ in the past, because NZ wouldn't release LAX-AKL. Once I could get a 1K 1Call agent to add SYD-AKL on the award, even though it hadn't shown up online as possible. Not sure how she managed that!
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold

Oceania is a bad award zone on the UA/ *A chart. I'd love to see NZ release more seats too but competition didn't inspire SQ to get off their house so I'm not holding out much hope

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.