Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Would you purchase United Economy Plus Package

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Since the grandkids appeared and living in the opposite coast, husband and I have been doing at least 3 to 4 transcons a year. We are considering purchasing the economy plus package for $499 to make travel more comfortable. Are there other considerations we should be aware of?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
2 actually.

1. Make sure you can get your money worth (your total cost to E+ should be more than $499).

2. Make sure you stay with UA once you have purchased the option.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold
If you both almost always fly together, it is possible to pay $499+$200=$699 for the subscription holder plus one companion to always get E+. That is cheaper than both buying their own E+ subscription ($998), but you both must fly together under this cheaper option. If you do both fly together always, then you can save $300 this way.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold
And I should add that for $499 + $400, the subscription holder plus 8 companions can fly in the E+. So, if the rest of the family often flies with you, that could be another option to consider.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I bought it -- and have been happy with it. I am a Silver, but I want the ability to choose E+ at booking -- I have no interest in playing the T-24 lottery, not out of a hub like SFO anyway. I also do a lot of transcons, and typically work on them, so find E- pretty untenable.

When I realized the E+ sub mostly pays for itself after about 2-3 round trips, it was an easy decision!

Note the sub works across the board -- paid flight, award flights, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.