FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Pro/Cons of booking flights on partner site vs united.com (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1791518-pro-cons-booking-flights-partner-site-vs-united-com.html)

lhrsfo Dec 7, 2015 5:01 pm

So, in short, if you don't care about PQD or Lifetime miles, you are often better off avoiding UA segments altogether, especially when you are in C or F on a good fare.

ont Dec 7, 2015 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 25828302)
So, in short, if you don't care about PQD or Lifetime miles, you are often better off avoiding UA segments altogether, especially when you are in C or F on a good fare.

Correct.

johnhendricks Dec 8, 2015 11:01 am

How comes then I am getting RDMs on LH flight leg (etix stock 220) based off revenue instead of mileage/fare/status? Ironically, PQDs for that flight are showing 0.

WineCountryUA Dec 8, 2015 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by johnhendricks (Post 25832163)
How comes then I am getting RDMs on LH flight leg (etix stock 220) based off revenue instead of mileage/fare/status? Ironically, PQDs for that flight are showing 0.

Was the flight UA operated but LH codeshare & ticketted?

cfischer Dec 8, 2015 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by johnhendricks (Post 25832163)

PQD = 0 and revenue based don't mix together. What was the route, flight, booking class and how many miles did you get?

EI147 Dec 27, 2015 4:52 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 25828229)
All UA/UX operated flights earn RDMs based on revenue / PQDs regardless of ticket stock.

Partner flights on UA ticket stock earn based on PQDs.

Partner flights on non-UA ticket stock earned per based mileage (and a multiple based on fare).

Could you please confirm what happens when more than one of these statements applies to a ticket?

Example; If the ticket is for FRA-LAX-SFO, 220 ticket, FRA-LAX on LH metal, LH code, LAX-SFO in UA metal, UA code. Does the fact that there is a UA metal flight in there mean that the entire itinerary is calculated on revenue, or is the first leg distance based, and the second leg revenue based?

UA_Flyer Dec 27, 2015 5:36 am

I have had NH, CA, SN flights issued on 016 stock and earned RDM is based on $ spent not flight miles. Of course, the $ is counted in PQD.

On the other hand,all of my SQ flights ticketedd on 016 earned RDM based on actual miles flown.

cfischer Dec 28, 2015 2:38 am

Originally Posted by EI147 (Post 25920643)
Could you please confirm what happens when more than one of these statements applies to a ticket?

Example; If the ticket is for FRA-LAX-SFO, 220 ticket, FRA-LAX on LH metal, LH code, LAX-SFO in UA metal, UA code. Does the fact that there is a UA metal flight in there mean that the entire itinerary is calculated on revenue, or is the first leg distance based, and the second leg revenue based?

UA operated segment earn based on segment value irrespective of ticket stock. You will earn distance based for FRA-LAX and revenue based LAX-SFO

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 25920719)
I have had NH, CA, SN flights issued on 016 stock and earned RDM is based on $ spent not flight miles. Of course, the $ is counted in PQD.

On the other hand,all of my SQ flights ticked on 016 earned RDM based on actual miles flown.

016 ticket earning based on miles flown :confused: how does that work?

EI147 Dec 28, 2015 10:57 am

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 25924257)
UA operated segment earn based on segment value irrespective of ticket stock. You will earn distance based for FRA-LAX and revenue based LAX-SFO

Thank you! ^

UA_Flyer Dec 28, 2015 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 25924257)

SQ flights ticketed by UA earn RDM based on actual flight miles rather than $ of the tickets. For example, HKG to SIN on SQ earns 1,602 actual miles flown.

Harry IAH May 14, 2016 3:54 am

Booked on UA, Ticketed on LATAM ?

For an upcoming flight to South America, I am flying on UA metal, with connecting flights on LATAM metal.

Which scenario makes more sense, and is there a practical difference?

1 - Book all flights on united.com.

2 - Book UA r/t on united.com, and book LATAM r/t on latam.com.

Note that Latam is not Star Alliance, and these are not codeshare flights.

Guess I would not accrue MP FF miles with Latam flights - have a feeling it's better to book on metal's website "just in case".

Or am I just a worrywart and being a 'big girls blouse' about it all?

Thanks

channa May 14, 2016 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Harry IAH (Post 26623981)
For an upcoming flight to South America, I am flying on UA metal, with connecting flights on LATAM metal.

Which scenario makes more sense, and is there a practical difference?

1 - Book all flights on united.com.

2 - Book UA r/t on united.com, and book LATAM r/t on latam.com.

Note that Latam is not Star Alliance, and these are not codeshare flights.

Guess I would not accrue MP FF miles with Latam flights - have a feeling it's better to book on metal's website "just in case".

Or am I just a worrywart and being a 'big girls blouse' about it all?

Thanks

If you're connecting, best to have it all on one ticket in case of irregularities. That said, check fares. Sometimes it's substantially cheaper to do it on separate tickets, so the risk isc worth it.

Harry IAH May 14, 2016 4:21 am

Same price either way.

And lounge access is not a concern - no Star Alliance lounges in SCL :(

swiftaw May 14, 2016 4:41 am

Alos, if you book everything on united.com, you may earn PQD for the LATAM flight.

Harry IAH May 14, 2016 5:00 am

Flying IAH-SCL-IPC.

Not planning on checking baggage, but if I do on the return trip, baggage might be checked to destination if on one ticket.

Cheers.