Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated SIN (Singapore Changi) logistics / checkin / connections / lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
You will need an airport printed BPs, app-based BPs will not be generated or accepted.

Lounges
  • STATS (Terminal 1, 2, 3) open 24 hours
  • SQ KrisFlyer (for *G pax) / SilverKris (for J pax) lounges (Terminal 2, 3rd Floor, Mezzanine Level & Terminal 3, 3rd Floor, near to Gates A1-5) open 24 hours
  • TG Royal Silk Lounge (International Terminal 1, 3rd Floor, near West Immigration) (not open overnight)

Related threads - United Starting nonstop flight SFO-SIN - June 2016
UA Ending LAX-SIN, going 2x daily SFO-SIN, 27 OCT 2018
Changi early morning flight can I get airside the night before?
Print Wikipost

Consolidated SIN (Singapore Changi) logistics / checkin / connections / lounges

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by mherdeg
(Disclaimer: I'm not sure how long you are legally allowed to spend airside at SIN and whether 27 hr would be too long. It would not be too long for fu).
From personal experience, it isn't
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mherdeg
(Disclaimer: I'm not sure how long you are legally allowed to spend airside at SIN and whether 27 hr would be too long. It would not be too long for fun).
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
From personal experience, it isn't
However, 18 days is definitely too long. Man Who Missed Flight and Spent 18 Days in Transit Using Forged Boarding Passes
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Excellent point. OP should make contingency plan if either UA 1 of 2 or both gets cancelled.

Perhaps it is just my bad luck, I have experienced more cancellations this year than ever before.
Beauty of Changi is the Crowne Plaza that is essentially part of the Airport
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:58 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone

I mean no disrespect, but how could you possibly prefer a three-abreast E+ seat to a well-cushioned lie-flat J seat? Obviously UA's current BF hard product won't win any awards for privacy, but I'd think 99 people out of 100 would prefer the seat's comfort.

I'm more curious than anything.
What do you want me to say? I also flew PS business legs before/after and it wasn't very comfortable for me - it's just personal preference. I'm just not that keen on that seat. Thai airways business seat I really can't stand... BTW I'm 6' and 185 lbs and athletic build so not an unusual body type. Put me in a LH 1st seat and a very happy camper.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:39 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Excellent point. OP should make contingency plan if either UA 1 of 2 or both gets cancelled.

Perhaps it is just my bad luck, I have experienced more cancellations this year than ever before.
If the flight cancels can the OP request not to go and ask for the ORC?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: UA Platinum

I will def keep this in mind, thank you!!

Originally Posted by Kacee
You could try to create a stopover by SDC'ing to the one-stop via HKG.
Will keep this in mind, esp if time permits! TY!

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
ORC? (nevermind, figured it out!)

*Still learning these terms... I do appreciate the help everyone!

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Sep 29, 2016 at 8:03 am Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member. Suggest using multi-quote feature.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
Compression socks
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by piemel
Compression socks
Excellent idea!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by televisor
How/where do you ask for this? I did a 12-hour stopover, the agent just stamped me in (including the little paper ticket), and I got stamped out again on exit.

FWIW immigration was pretty rapid both on entry and exit, no idea if that varies by time of day though.
http://www.changiairport.com/en/airp...pore-tour.html
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by ermintrude
What do you want me to say?
Ack! I didn't mean it harshly at all. Just that I've heard people on FT dump on UA BF before, and I've always been puzzled as to the rationale. To be sure I've had a few FAs that were grouchy, but I've always found the seat remarkably comfortable.

But as you say, it's all about personal preference. Thanks for replying.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:23 pm

This is why I miss the IAD-BAH MRs. It's like doing the MR in F because most of the time E+ is empty. And even when it isn't, middle seats are open. If you pick the right flights its very easy to get the whole row and to nap in luxury.

Now that's gone I can't imagine myself doing crazy long distance MRs anymore.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
TIV (Trip in Vain) ORC (Original Routing Credit) no refund can be done under the right circumstances but not by the inexperienced and typically would require high status 1k+. In this chaps case I would say currently he has <1% chance of getting ORC in lieu of a refund; but policies change so much it's hard to keep track.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:00 pm

Wow. I am thinking of doing the same but from ORD via HKG (for Platinum). I actually prefer the 777 in coach more than the 787 though I like the lower pressure, better air, etc on the 787. I am holding a window seat in the row with only two seats so I like that.

When are you doing your trip? Would be curious to hear about your experience.

Also, the posts here are sort of scaring me. I know that no one can give medical advice but is DVT a real concern even if you do walk around, wear compression socks, etc?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by daisyatl
Wow. I am thinking of doing the same but from ORD via HKG (for Platinum). I actually prefer the 777 in coach more than the 787 though I like the lower pressure, better air, etc on the 787. I am holding a window seat in the row with only two seats so I like that.

When are you doing your trip? Would be curious to hear about your experience.

Also, the posts here are sort of scaring me. I know that no one can give medical advice but is DVT a real concern even if you do walk around, wear compression socks, etc?
FWIW a relative who is a doctor, who occasionally has travelled up to 24 hours (Europe to NZ, with a brief stop in DXB/SIN/HKG), recommends what you do, in addition to drinking lots of water, and aspirin to prevent/reduce the chances of clotting. (Of course: this ain't medical advice.) That said, I have no idea how knowledgeable they are on DVT.

The water can be annoying if you want to sleep, but other than that not too hard to deal with.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:29 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by televisor
FWIW a relative who is a doctor, who occasionally has travelled up to 24 hours (Europe to NZ, with a brief stop in DXB/SIN/HKG), recommends what you do, in addition to drinking lots of water, and aspirin to prevent/reduce the chances of clotting. (Of course: this ain't medical advice.) That said, I have no idea how knowledgeable they are on DVT.

The water can be annoying if you want to sleep, but other than that not too hard to deal with.
This may or may not represent the definitive piece on DVT. Note the statistic that it will happen in 1 out of 5944 flights (per person). What it doesn't say is how the length of flight affects this statistic. Includes information regarding who is at a greater risk, and reading through it, you realize that DVT isn't just a flying thing. You're 3.65 times more likely to get DVT if you fly, but plenty of non-flying people get it too.

Dehydration is a huge contributor to DVT, so flying the 787, in theory, should be safer than other planes (since the 787 features a higher humidity).

Obviously, the SFO-SIN flight is the most-fearsome sufferfest on the UA schedule, at 17 hours flying west. I've got it on my schedule at the end of October, and not looking forward to it, despite being a veteran of many mileage runs (and vacations that were, if truth be told, built around mileage runs... like the one coming up). Then again, I've been on what hopefully was a much worse flight. ADD-IAD with a middle-of-the-night refueling stop at FCO that lasted two hours??? That was awful. At least Mr Map will show a continuously-declining distance on UA1!

Then there's the alcohol thing. I have, maybe, 6 drinks/year. Seriously, that's it. For this flight, I was thinking it might be one I don't want to remember. Maybe have all of next year's drinks in one 17 hour period. Except that that's not a good idea for DVT and there's the dehydration issue too.

When my wife and I arrive at SIN, I built in an 18 hour layover before our next flight, to BNE. Figure that will break things up a bit, letting us sleep 6 hours in the transit hotel, see Singapore for a few hours, then come back to the airport for the midnight flight out.

This thread has me a bit concerned about a potential UA1 cancellation, although looking at FlightAware, this isn't actually very common.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.