Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated TPE logistics / connections / lounges (lounge access issue Jan 2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2023, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread: Consolidated TPE logistics / connections / lounges {Archive}

Jan 2024
Originally Posted by ftweb
I'm a 1K (hence *G) flying TPE-SFO in Polaris. The Singapore Airlines lounge in TPE terminal 2 displays the star alliance logo, but I was denied entrance as a UA *G flying UA. The agent told me that they have special permission from star alliance to deny United flyers and send us to the Plaza Premium lounge because of capacity problems. ....Thanks.
Originally Posted by kaboom36
I recently took UA872 from TPE to SFO departing 11:10am. I am a 1K and had a paid C Polaris seat. Upon checking at the UA TPE ticket counter, I was notified by the UA CheckIn agent 872 flight pax is to use "Plaza Premium Lounge" instead of Eva lounge for *G and UA Polaris business class ticketed passenger. I thought it was just another option or lounge we can use at TPE. Therefore, I still went to the Eva lounge (designated *G lounge) and tried to enter the lounge. I was denied entrance. The Eva lounge attendant said anyone with UA872 ticket regardless of *G status or business class can not use Eva lounge due to "space limitation". UA contracted with Plaza Premium Lounge for flight 872.

Then I got further clarification from lounge manager that this restriction is only for UA872 ticket passenger. And it's not restricted for another TPE to SFO flight UA852 which departed later during the day at 1:10pm.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated TPE logistics / connections / lounges (lounge access issue Jan 2024)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:32 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by myperks
plaza premium is also my first choice… followed by oriental, and then any of the EVA ones…

I previously liked SQ silver Kris lounge the best but that is shut down.
Perhaps EVA's The Garden is worth a visit, you have to be a BR Infinity MileageLands - Diamond card member.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Even without an APEC card, I've not found exit passport control and security to require much time. Arriving at the counter at 8:00 - 8:30 would be fine if you aren't going to be spending much time in the lounges.

I've been at the counter minutes before check-in cutoff (when we realized baba's passport was due to expire and had to run to T1 to rush a new one) and still made group 3 boarding, but I'd not recommend that approach. 😀
Old Jul 4, 2023, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Perhaps EVA's The Garden is worth a visit, you have to be a BR Infinity MileageLands - Diamond card member.
Ah yes. The Garden. Never been eligible since mostly gaining access with business class or star gold.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by myperks (Post # 149)
When did the TPE SQ SilverKris Lounge shut down?

I see it is "Closed until further notice."

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...es/silverkris/
Old Jul 4, 2023, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
When did the TPE SQ SilverKris Lounge shut down?

I see it is "Closed until further notice."

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...es/silverkris/
there was a sign as of late March. I don’t remember exactly what it said but somewhere along the lines of the lounge is closed please use EVA. Based on your link, seems they are directing SQ biz and elite members to plaza premium.

plus by now if it hasn’t opened, not sure if it will. Never really understood why it was open considering precovid it was only two afternoon flights to Singapore. Not sure if it is back to two daily flights.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Took a 645a express MRT from Taipei main station and even having forgotten my APEC card and stopping by duty free I was in the lounge before 8. The Infinity is pretty grim, Plaza Premium food and space are nicer.

Is there an ABTC security line as well that is "hidden" or just the passport control line? The passport control area is well marked all the way to the left.
Majuki likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Doppy
Took a 645a express MRT from Taipei main station and even having forgotten my APEC card and stopping by duty free I was in the lounge before 8. The Infinity is pretty grim, Plaza Premium food and space are nicer.

Is there an ABTC security line as well that is "hidden" or just the passport control line? The passport control area is well marked all the way to the left.
In the BR/*A terminal, as you approach the security checkpoint, turn left and walk away from the line with the security area on your right and check-in counters on your left. About 1/2 way down the terminal there will be a small door on the right side that has signs for crew, documents and APEC. Go through that door, make a right turn at the hallway, and follow it to the end where it will open to a blocked off part of the security area with a reserved x-ray machine and metal detector, and a designated immigration inspection desk.

If you're really unlucky, you'll end up behind 1-2 BR crews as that is also the security entrance for BR cabin crews (foreign crews are supposed to use the regular line)

Don't ask the terminal staff, even if you speak Mandarin, they will insist there is no such thing and try to pull you into the regular security line.
Doppy, SPN Lifer and United747 like this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Plaza Premium is my first choice, then Oriental Club.
Got it. Thanks!

Originally Posted by uanj
Maybe this is just me, but I don't find the lounge scene very appealing in TPE. You would think with names like The Infinity and The Star you would get something special but it is the same as before, maybe with 40% fewer offerings. Lounge hop if you have the time.
Thanks, will likely lounge hop as you suggest, especially as I want to do some shopping as well.

plaza premium is also my first choice… followed by oriental, and then any of the EVA ones…

Seems consistent, and surprising. Would typically think *Alliance lounges in a home hub airport would be a better option over PP lounges.

I have a vague recollection of some visits pre-COVID and thought the EVA lounges were good, if a bit funky in decor. Glad I asked.
Thanks all.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Thanks, will likely lounge hop as you suggest, especially as I want to do some shopping as well.
Nothing is open at 420a, and at least I'm never in the mood to hop when I show up there on a red eye. I suggest finding one lounge in which to chill. The concourse is most unpleasant in the early mornings (i.e. if you're thinking Changi or Incheon, you're way off base).
Old Jul 4, 2023, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by moondog
Nothing is open at 420a, and at least I'm never in the mood to hop when I show up there on a red eye. I suggest finding one lounge in which to chill. The concourse is most unpleasant in the early mornings (i.e. if you're thinking Changi or Incheon, you're way off base).
Thanks for the warning. Would there not be any duty free shops open by 7 or so? Or at least 8?
I wanted to grab some things before 8:50 AM departure to BKK.
Assuming I get some decent sleep on the long haul, I would likely be ready to stretch my legs by arrival time.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
In the BR/*A terminal, as you approach the security checkpoint, turn left and walk away from the line with the security area on your right and check-in counters on your left. About 1/2 way down the terminal there will be a small door on the right side that has signs for crew, documents and APEC. Go through that door, make a right turn at the hallway, and follow it to the end where it will open to a blocked off part of the security area with a reserved x-ray machine and metal detector, and a designated immigration inspection desk.

If you're really unlucky, you'll end up behind 1-2 BR crews as that is also the security entrance for BR cabin crews (foreign crews are supposed to use the regular line)

Don't ask the terminal staff, even if you speak Mandarin, they will insist there is no such thing and try to pull you into the regular security line.
I don’t think it’s the narrow walkway anymore through the pass office corridor (T2). It’s to the very left of the central security entrance now with some other priority passengers. At least that was the case late March. I didn’t specifically use it because central was very short and I was traveling with other people. Plus foreign passport holders can use the eGates (without signing up) to exit so it’s fairly quick to get through.
SPN Lifer and bocastephen like this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Thanks for the warning. Would there not be any duty free shops open by 7 or so? Or at least 8?
I wanted to grab some things before 8:50 AM departure to BKK.
Assuming I get some decent sleep on the long haul, I would likely be ready to stretch my legs by arrival time.
Those places seem to start opening at 7, but it takes the staff about 30 minutes to set up their displays.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Those places seem to start opening at 7, but it takes the staff about 30 minutes to set up their displays.
Thanks. That should be fine for what I need.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 9:40 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I don’t think it’s the narrow walkway anymore through the pass office corridor (T2). It’s to the very left of the central security entrance now with some other priority passengers. At least that was the case late March. I didn’t specifically use it because central was very short and I was traveling with other people. Plus foreign passport holders can use the eGates (without signing up) to exit so it’s fairly quick to get through.
Good news! I have a close friend who is in airport management and I’ve been working hard to get a priority line for business/first and frequent flyers but upper management has flatly refused this for years saying everyone should be the same

I haven’t brought up the topic again but is it a real priority line or just disabled/diplomat etc?
Old Jul 5, 2023, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Good news! I have a close friend who is in airport management and I’ve been working hard to get a priority line for business/first and frequent flyers but upper management has flatly refused this for years saying everyone should be the same

I haven’t brought up the topic again but is it a real priority line or just disabled/diplomat etc?
are you asking if the left side of central entry is a real priority line? I don’t think so. I think it is the same access as the “corridor” line which include ABTC.

you would think EVA being a major carrier will lobby for a GOLD TRACK for star alliance.
bocastephen and artvandalay like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.