Wiki Posts
Search

If you like cheese, you'll love United

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k
If you like cheese, you'll love United

As a non-cheese eater, I'm constantly surprised about how much cheese UA puts into their meals in both economy and biz. It's like it has to be in just about everything they offer. For those of us who lactose intolerant or just don't like cheese, you really notice it.

Last week from EWR-LAX in PS biz, there were 3 entrees - a cheese crepe, a 4 cheese omelette, and the cereal with milk. Yesterday, in economy from DEN-LGA, there was a chicken wrap with feta cheese, a melted cheese roast beef sandwich and an artisan cheese selection. The breakfast entrees from LGA-DEN were chicken sausage egg skillet (with cheese) and ham baguette (with melted cheese.)

How about an Asian noodle option, or a green salad?
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
I also try to avoid cheese on my food as mush as possible. Not because I don't like cheese, but I feel sometimes it is only added to enhance the flavor of bland food by adding fat/grease, a type of food engineering. Done correctly it complements the dish.

I think of it like Bacon. Many consumers prefer things wrapped/soaked/accessorized with bacon grease because it is something that gives us lots of pleasure to eat. Ditto with added sugar, salt, etc. All low cost ways to engineer food to be more addictive without improving the overall culinary experience.

That said, I think most US consumers will expect cheese on their sandwich/wrap and would feel the meal is of a lower quality without the added fat/flavor enhancement that cheese provides. It makes it taste better and sometimes we expect our food to conform to our expectations.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
(With apologies to Monty Python)

Next month the feature will be:

Cheese, Cheese, Ham, Cheese, Cheese and Cheese
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
This is good. This way the cheese will never stand alone.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
OP hasn't even mentioned the plethora of cheese available in United Clubs.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Oh, cheese.

A recent e-mail I sent to United said roughly:

Hey guys, I'm on board flight [xxx] right now and my wife is baffled because she ordered a pasta dish described as (abc) and it arrived as something totally different, technically still pasta, but (def) instead. No one noticed the discrepancy and she was really looking forward to the (abc). Can you please fix the menus? On the bright side, she won't go hungry because the cheese course is coming soon!
Then I sent an e-mail reply 90 minutes later that said:
Hey guys, while the FAs were serving the cheese course standing right in front of me, one of them said to another:

"Thanks for doing the cheese. I HATE doing the cheese. I hear on the grapevine they're going to be giving us pre-plated cheese soon, Hallelujah!".

This premium-cabin product is kind of hilarious. Are you guys going to do any re-training along with the Polaris product launch?

Also, my wife was in the restroom when the crew came by to serve the cheese course and they never came back to offer her the cheese. Which, obviously, makes sense, since they hate doing it. Ha ha ha.

Last edited by mherdeg; Sep 7, 2016 at 4:43 pm
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
But if you like good cheese, don't fly UA as they only serve processed or low quality cheese.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bosman
(With apologies to Monty Python)

Next month the feature will be:

Cheese, Cheese, Ham, Cheese, Cheese and Cheese
And, the following month it will be:

Spam spam spam spam
Spam spam spam spam
Spaaaaaam, wonderful spaaaaaaam.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
And, the following month it will be:

Spam spam spam spam
Spam spam spam spam
Spaaaaaam, wonderful spaaaaaaam.
Spam in place of ham. Sounds like another coming "enhancement".

So glad to be vegetarian today... but, of course, most of the veggie options to fill up end up being cheese. :-)
Old Sep 7, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by spaceman3
How about an Asian noodle option
+1
Would be great to see this.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by abaheti
Spam in place of ham. Sounds like another coming "enhancement".

Spam would be more popular than cheez on the Hawaii flights.

Last edited by transportprof; Sep 7, 2016 at 5:25 pm
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good points made! I might add: the continuing salad toppings of Feta could also be changed/eliminated; personally I just don't care for Feta.

And the middling offerings of the cheese course on BF/GF flights hopefully will see an upgrade (Polaris?), local flair. Serving American cheese out of Switzerland just seems below par.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nevansm
OP hasn't even mentioned the plethora of cheese available in United Clubs.
Mmmm I load em up. SFO had skinny long pieces almost Parmesan taste. Paired with cube Monterey, pepper jack it is bliss.

Three times I have been in SFO UC at 10pm or later - the cheddar doesn't move fast. I concur.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Quite the contrary. I find they never put enough cheese.

Load it up!
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Good points made! I might add: the continuing salad toppings of Feta could also be changed/eliminated; personally I just don't care for Feta.

And the middling offerings of the cheese course on BF/GF flights hopefully will see an upgrade (Polaris?), local flair. Serving American cheese out of Switzerland just seems below par.
Just like serving over cooked three cheese ravioli with "library paste sauce" out of Italy!

I can report that the UC cheeze doesn't melt when added to the chili.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.