Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you like cheese, you'll love United

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2016, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Am I the only one who remembers the cheese soup C used to serve? Talk about a cheesy overload! It became such a joke that at one of the CO Do events in Houston they used a vat of it as the booby prize.

(Maybe they haven't gotten rid of it all and it's slowly being reconstituted into cheese again and served to us in all those meals described above...)
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by spaceman3
As a non-cheese eater, I'm constantly surprised about how much cheese UA puts into their meals in both economy and biz. It's like it has to be in just about everything they offer. For those of us who lactose intolerant or just don't like cheese, you really notice it.

Last week from EWR-LAX in PS biz, there were 3 entrees - a cheese crepe, a 4 cheese omelette, and the cereal with milk. Yesterday, in economy from DEN-LGA, there was a chicken wrap with feta cheese, a melted cheese roast beef sandwich and an artisan cheese selection. The breakfast entrees from LGA-DEN were chicken sausage egg skillet (with cheese) and ham baguette (with melted cheese.)

How about an Asian noodle option, or a green salad?
Don't go to Amsterdam. Cheese and bread for breakfast, cheese and bread for lunch. and cheese and bread for dinner.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
No meat for you!

They are heavy on cheese, hummus, celery, carrots, rabbit food and other inedibles in their Club and in their meals.

"Chicken, pasta or vegetarian?" are the meal choices. The pasta of course is vegetarian already, and chicken might as well be a vegetable. Not a single edible choice.

I want to be served food, not served what food eats.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Don't go to Amsterdam. Cheese and bread for breakfast, cheese and bread for lunch. and cheese and bread for dinner.
Well that's what you get for eating Dutch food in Holland! Next time try a nice rijsttafel at an Indonesian restaurant....
Old Sep 10, 2016, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, HH-Gold, MR - Gold, HY-Explorist
Have to agree with the OP. Since a significant portion of the world's population is lactose intolerant, it is always disappointing to realize that your choices are to decline the food or to chance GI distress for the rest of the flight. At a minimum, it would be nice if it was clear whether you could request something from the Buy on board items if none of the food choices in first work for you.

I submitted a comment on united airtime, perhaps if enough people did as well, they would notice.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by vsevolod4
I want to be served food, not served what food eats.
What is left? Beef/pork/fish (no pasta/grains, no vegetables, as those are what food eats) with processed corn products like Cheetos?

Fish is semi common both internationally and domestically, so that is covered somewhat. Beef pops up a lot internationally too.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Would one solution to this menu emphasis be to distribute LactAid pills as part of a cheesy meal service? And in the UC's they could be distributed next to the lifesavers/mint dish.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Amsterdam has a great amount of Asian food, too. Good for everybody. UA's multiple cheese entree's? Good for some.

I'm not saying get rid of the cheese by any means, but does 80% of the food they sell or serve have to contain cheese? No sir.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott/Starwood Platinum Elite, National Executive Elite
Cheese In Everything On PS Flights

I fly EWR>SFO/LAX at least 2-3 times a month, usually sitting in E+ and upfront when RPU's clear. I wouldn't consider myself a picky eater, but why do most of the food options all come with a form of cheese? The eggs with chicken sausage have gouda (in E+), the wraps all have a cream cheese dressing, the salad in first has blue cheese and goat cheese grits on the sides for the entree.

Anyone else agree or had any luck asking for it on the side or not at all? Not sure why they wouldn't stick to something a little more common, like mozzarella or cheddar.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
It's not just PS it's the whole United BOB menu. I try to do the healthy thing and United menu annoys me as well.

There was another thread about this ahwile back

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ve-united.html
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
They probably want to serve dishes with strong flavors since taste is dulled in a plane. Mozzarella is always mild and cheap cheddar will also be mild. That could explain the type of cheese.

As to why all dishes contain cheese I suspect it's lazy or inept menu construction. First off, cheese is better avoided on planes and secondly the idea of providing a choice of dishes is to do just that: not to have similar strongly flavored ingredients running through all of them.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Welp, that explains my loyalty

On a slightly more serious note, I feel like quality is enough of a challenge that trying to conform to everyone's dietary expectations is a little far. Flipping through some meals (F or J) in my head.. I feel like the salad usually has cheese and the entree does not. As someone who likes cheese (it's delicious!) I'm also glad to see it isn't always boring cheese either. But do most entrees have cheese? IIRC it's usually just meat/potatoes/vegetables or riffs on each. Maybe the vegetarian option is more cheese heavy.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by findark
Welp, that explains my loyalty

On a slightly more serious note, I feel like quality is enough of a challenge that trying to conform to everyone's dietary expectations is a little far. Flipping through some meals (F or J) in my head.. I feel like the salad usually has cheese and the entree does not. As someone who likes cheese (it's delicious!) I'm also glad to see it isn't always boring cheese either. But do most entrees have cheese? IIRC it's usually just meat/potatoes/vegetables or riffs on each. Maybe the vegetarian option is more cheese heavy.
It's easier to avoid cheese in F/J. I fly every week for work in E+ and most of the BOB menu has cheese. The chicken wrap has feta, the pasta has mozzarella, the cheeseburger has chedder/American, the cheese plate has ... you get it

It would be nice if one hot item didn't have cheese.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:59 pm

Tonight’s dinner choice DEN-ORD was pizza or cheese burger. As a cheese avoider, I got a snack box from the back that the flight attendant had beautifully arranged on a tray. Before merger with CO, there was generally a dairy free choice - I think because of UA’s strong Asia presence. But since, I’m beginning to wonder if UA has corporate contract with ‘The Cheese Council,’ if there’s such s thing.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
I do notice that there is almost a cheese overload on many UA domestic flights that I am on. However, I almost exclusively travel to Asia on UA and surprisingly, they are very light on cheese dishes on such routes, except for pasta dish loaded with cheese on NRT-HNL I flew about a week ago.
The cheese doesn't bother me as much as the amount of food being served on these Asia routes. It wasn't like the Smisek days but I've noticed it is dwindling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.