Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too many United Kiosks?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2016, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc

To the original poster's point, I like and prefer dealing with a human most of the time -- I was thrilled this morning at SFO to see that a kiosk wasn't eve an option for premier, but there's a certain efficiency to UA's configuration in EWR where I can just walk up, punch in my details and then spend mere minutes trying to stare down a AirServ employee to tag my bag and get on with my day. I just wish the passenger could choose "full service" versus "self serv" -- Though I prefer humans when I'm in a hurry (or there's a line) the last thing I want is another rate limiter.
I agree. I’m not trying to outlaw kiosks all together, I use them 50% of the time, but during the other 50%, they don’t even want to speak to me unless I try the Kiosk.

Of course there is efficiency to UA’s EWR configuration, it allows for the appearance of little lines, and frankly it works without major issue. It’s just not professional. Imagine flying LH EWR-FRA in Business Class, and a LH agent tells you to use the kiosk. That would never happen.

Nothing really has to change with the arrangement, put the protocol of United representatives should change. Instead of “Start with the kiosk, hun” and walking away, they should say “Checking In?”. Nothing formal, but nothing dismissive, and then the agent can see what the passenger wants. Obviously there aren’t going to say “Welcome to United Premier Access, would you like to use the kiosk or would you like me to check you in?”, but the current dialogue is frankly un-professional , and all of the better interactions I’ve had with United agents were at stations without kiosks, where they aren’t worried about having to go back and help the two other people they are assisting.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat
I'm a big kiosk fan in the traditional sense, but I'm not a fan of the United kiosk system.

I generally fly DL and I like to stop by the kiosk on my way in to print a paper boarding pass (I've always checked in on my phone at this point, but I like having a paper backup, and I prefer the non-cardstock boarding passes that the kiosk prints) and then either check a bag if necessary, or just proceed on my way.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
It's a culture and consistency issue

United has an employee culture issue as well as an inability to standardize operations. Every airport, every gate, every flight has a different procedure. Look at how different UEx and mainline UA is. Although I live at IAD and have flown more than 1 mm on UA, I now avoid UA whenever possible and never looked back.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjburns
United has an employee culture issue as well as an inability to standardize operations. Every airport, every gate, every flight has a different procedure. Look at how different UEx and mainline UA is. Although I live at IAD and have flown more than 1 mm on UA, I now avoid UA whenever possible and never looked back.
I actually think the gate experience is pretty standardized, with the zone boarding, IMO.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I must be one of the few who hasn't used a kiosk in more years than I care to remember. I never check luggage and have online profiles for all the airlines I regularly fly - UA, AA, AS & AC.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:28 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by channa
The kiosk approach works better for UA, IMO, due to the poor training at post merger UA. I literally had 3 different agents refuse to fix an issue earlier this week, and I had to stand in front of an agent while on the phone with res in order to get it resolved. Then I was able to check in on the phone and print at a kiosk.

I literally would have been better served if United had fired all the agents at LAX. I wouldn't have wasted my time with them and would have called sooner.
Amen, amen , amen
lax absolutely horrendous for 1k check in
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lani1
Amen, amen , amen

I think SFO and DEN are the two best hubs for non-GS/GF Premier Check-In
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Lani1
Amen, amen , amen
My experience at LAX was also horrendous. Our flight was delayed and I was trying to see what our options were. I was trying to get us on another flight.because we're going to miss the last flight to MLI out of ORD. I was told that there was only one agent at LAX that could help us and he was helping someone else. The rest could take our baggage which we had none but could not do anything else. Horrible service!
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JackieC2
My experience at LAX was also horrendous. Our flight was delayed and I was trying to see what our options were. I was trying to get us on another flight.because we're going to miss the last flight to MLI out of ORD. I was told that there was only one agent at LAX that could help us and he was helping someone else. The rest could take our baggage which we had none but could not do anything else. Horrible service!
If you're 1K, you could have changed your flights over the phone, where agents are (usually) more helpful during IRROPS periods. Then you could have printed new boarding passes at the kiosks.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

About one year later, my experience has changed. All of the airports I’ve checked in through this year: PWM, ZRH, FLL, LAX, YYZ, LAS, DEN exc. had podiums with no kiosks in front of them. And a lot of them had those new style white podiums with flexible monitors. Only at FLL, where the kiosks were adjacent, did a rep ask if I wanted to use one, but after I said “no”, and he happily processed the check in.

The best change for me, personally, as the addition of the Full Service desks in my home airport EWR’s Economy Level 2. There are four desks, two Full Economy and two Premier Access, all staffed be real and knowledgable agents.

Upstairs the Premier Check In is an even bigger mess with the Polaris Check in being moved to the general Premier Check-In.

Thus, I’ve been using the Premier Full Service downstairs and getting great full service with no lines!

Last edited by NikoLGA; Mar 31, 2017 at 8:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.