Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F Seat Poaching

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Btw...I had had it happen once before where the GAs took care of the issue (on UA as well), so while this isn't a super rare occurrence, it doesn't always require the pax to settle the issue.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
Couple of years ago sitting in the last row of F in aisle seat, seat in window open. Flight just about to close when a young women comes running; holding her McDonalds dinner bag. Points to the open seat next to me. So, I get up and let her in. FA gives her PDB. Four minutes later a guy comes running on the plane, obviously just barely made his connection. You guessed it, he comes over to my row and show a boarding pass for the F seat next to me. FA comes over immediately and asks the young for her boarding pass - 35F. Her excuse was the she was in a seat in with a seat marked "F". FA gets her to move in about 10 seconds.

The young woman's strategy clearly was to get on the plane as late as possible and look to upgrade herself to some good empty seat. Guessing this wasn't her first time trying this.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by pbuntrock
Couple of years ago sitting in the last row of F in aisle seat, seat in window open. Flight just about to close when a young women comes running; holding her McDonalds dinner bag.
There's the red flag right there. Who normally travels in F scarfing down McDonalds products?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:17 pm

Had a whacko, late 20s women with a travel duffel, a few years ago leaving Geneva for Dulles, 3-class 767. She walked in, during E boarding, as I had started the first 10 minutes of a movie, and claimed my seat (1K), was hers! I was polite and asked to see her BP, to which she claimed she had "lost". I chuckled, sat down, put the headphones on and continued watching the movie. She didn't like being ignored and tried to step into the suite floor. I ripped my headphones off and told her sternly that's I knew exactly what she was doing, and that perhaps the Air Marshal sitting close by could "help her", OFF the plane. (I was 90% sure he was an AM).

At this point the FA saw the bottle neck and asked what the problem was. I told her this woman thinks she is in seat 1K. FA demands BP angrily - now the woman "finds it" in her back pocket - she was in seat 35E!!

FAs later told me this creature got her multiple requests for alcohol denied for the entire flight. It seems she was drinking before and got a little too courageous.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by StringerBellBivDeVoe
This thread reflects very poorly on this community. Too many people here seem hell-bent on digging in their heels and "being right" rather than doing what is actually right.

The use-case with the 5-year-old getting split from his or her parents is particularly sad, and anyone sticking to their guns on general principle there is not being a good person or participant in humanity.
But do you agree they should ask first? Is there ever an instance, even with a toddler, that its OK to just sit your butt down in someone's seat?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by chavala
EXACTLY. Unless you're giving me your upgrade to F from E, you can forget it. It has happened to me more than once and I hope those people have learned their lesson and now always politely ask first.
Done that. My seat in F (CPU), wife & child in Y in E,F bulkhead seats. I didn't sit down, but stood in front of the D seat and waited for the owner to show up and ask if they would like to trade 7D for 2D. That was a short conversation. If the owner had said no, then Mrs. Tarheelnj would have taken 2D, so there was no way I was going to get that seat either way.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by rickg523
In the case of a disabled person having a tight connection, I'm sure the FA can help out on a case by case basis.
Indeed, all that's needed as a tweak to the rule of "first on last off" is "except if you have a tight connection, in which case we'll help you off early".
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Done that. My seat in F (CPU), wife & child in Y in E,F bulkhead seats. I didn't sit down, but stood in front of the D seat and waited for the owner to show up and ask if they would like to trade 7D for 2D. That was a short conversation. If the owner had said no, then Mrs. Tarheelnj would have taken 2D, so there was no way I was going to get that seat either way.
To answer the previous question with a response to this - I would have no objection to your actually sitting in D and keeping your eyes open for someone clearly in that seat, and then immediately stood up to explain the situation.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by drewguy
To answer the previous question with a response to this - I would have no objection to your actually sitting in D and keeping your eyes open for someone clearly in that seat, and then immediately stood up to explain the situation.
This +1

Thanks for being sensible.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by televisor
Well, in this case OP had his seats reassigned by the airline. What are they supposed to do now? Cancel their flight because the airline separated them?
They should take it up with the airline. Once again, it is not the problem of strangers. Unless they're traveling in an emergency, I don't care, any more than they care about my travel arrangements.

Just to summarise: OP has seats beside their child, airline reassigns them, it's now extortion for OP to board with their separated child?
No, it's planned extortion if they're going to pull the, "okay, if you won't switch then YOU take care of my kid," stunt. Why would they board without adjacent seats? Why wouldn't the take it up with the gate agent and, if necessary, take a later flight or, if worse comes to worse, a different airline?

Note: multiple peopel are now disadvantaged: the passenger beside the lone child, and the child/parent. There's no win-win here.
I assure you that I won't be disadvantaged if he tries this stunt with me. I'm not caring for his child or, for that matter will I pay any attention to the child, assuming the parent is insane enough to allow a small child unable to care for itself to sit next to a total stranger. The parent has created this situation by not assuming that this very common occurrence might happen. It's not my responsibility to rectify. If the specter of an equipment change is too much for a parent to handle, then don't fly with the child. Once again, there's no reason that I should be inconvenienced just because a parent is ill-equipped to handle the vagaries of contemporary commercial air travel.

I actually wonder what I'd do in a situation like this (i.e. if I were a parent travelling with child - I'm not at that stage yet though). I guess in the case of early reassignment there's not much you can do except complain to checkin/gate-agent to get reassigned your original seats
That's exactly what you should do.

(after all, they've just confirmed that it's OK to move people from their seats, so it's OK to move the new occupant back out),
And they might, in which case the displaced passenger's argument is with the airline and not with you.

if it's a late reassignment (after checkin), you can just keep the original BPs and show those when on-board?
In other words, lie and steal someone's seat?

But ultimately there's no way around it: once carriers start messing with seats, there's often no choice but to make requests on board.
It's not the requests to which I object. It's the "move or you have to take care of my toddler" stunt that I find unacceptable. You can certainly ask. Just be prepared to be refused.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by televisor
Well, in this case OP had his seats reassigned by the airline. What are they supposed to do now? Cancel their flight because the airline separated them?

Just to summarise: OP has seats beside their child, airline reassigns them, it's now extortion for OP to board with their separated child? Note: multiple peopel are now disadvantaged: the passenger beside the lone child, and the child/parent. There's no win-win here.

I actually wonder what I'd do in a situation like this (i.e. if I were a parent travelling with child - I'm not at that stage yet though). I guess in the case of early reassignment there's not much you can do except complain to checkin/gate-agent to get reassigned your original seats (after all, they've just confirmed that it's OK to move people from their seats, so it's OK to move the new occupant back out), if it's a late reassignment (after checkin), you can just keep the original BPs and show those when on-board?

But ultimately there's no way around it: once carriers start messing with seats, there's often no choice but to make requests on board.
I had this happen last year traveling with my significant other and our 7 month old. It was New Years Eve and due to IRROPS we were rebooked onto a different flight. We had pre-selected seats on our original flight so that we would all sit together. On the rebooking the best the gate agent could do was two seats together (myself and the infant) and significant other got a seat further back. Well as we board the gate agent scanned the infant ticket first, then my significant others ticket and then my ticket got the dreaded BEEP, see gate agent.

Somehow my seat assignment had been given away and now I had a seat no where near the other two members of my party. Oh and my SO had to continue boarding the plane, so he technically "poached" a seat by sitting down next to our infant and then making a request to swap with the person who showed up with that seat assignment. The gate agent had no ability at that time to swap my seat back to the originally assigned seat and she said I would have to ask the flight attendants for assistance.

Granted we did the best we could in the situation, and yet some people here would still consider us the "bad" guys.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Kacee
We all make mistakes, especially if frazzled or jet-lagged from travel.

I once mistakenly sat in 4E on the ps 752 after confusing it for 7E when we boarded through 1L rather than 2L at JFK. "First seat on the left at end of the cabin. Check."
I once boarded and sat in 1E on 737, everything goes normally, plane takes off, and during the drinks+nuts I start chatting to the person in 1B. At some point I was fiddling around with the UA app on my tablet, and I realize that I was supposed to be in 1B. So I said to the person, "Oh, my gosh. I just realized I was supposed to be in 1B. What is your assigned seat?" And she said, "I am 1E, but when I saw you in 1E, I just sat in 1B."
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mapleg
There's the red flag right there. Who normally travels in F scarfing down McDonalds products?
Good point, when I'm in F it's usually Subway. The other day DFW-ORD it was a turkey bagel sandwich. The others in F surely were jealous when they got their dinners. But I can't ever recall eating McDonalds in F, unless you count the old (delicious!) Jeff McMuffin.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
If you stand up you no longer have your butt in my seat when I get there.
Of course that would be fine -- nobody expects you to stand during the entire boarding process. (It would just be annoying as people are trying to get into the overhead). I'm talking about butt-in-my-seat, making yourself comfy, and EXPECTING me to take your seat. I don't care how many toddlers you are towing.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chavala
I'm talking about butt-in-my-seat, making yourself comfy, and EXPECTING me to take your seat. I don't care how many toddlers you are towing.
Really does that happen to you often? Mostly I encounter, see, or read about adult couples being that rude. In my experience, parents are generally the most polite, almost to the point of timidity. For example, I've never had a parent threaten me with their child ("Well, then YOU take care of him! He's a total brat.") Doesn't sound like a parent and seriously doubt that it's anything but an airways legend. Most parents faced with an assigned separation, go immediately to the GA or the FA and enlist their assistance. They come over and they ask if you'll swap. You want to engage her in an investigation of just why parent and child are separated and whose fault it is, knock yourself out. FA will just ask someone else. Every FA I've spoken with (otr) says they make mental notes of the cooperative and not so cooperative pax and treat them accordingly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.