Wiki Posts
Search

F Seat Poaching

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
- AND the airline caused the seat split, not your own ineptness
I'm curious whether you would include in "caused" the unavailability of adjacent seats when you booked.

Anyway, this is well trodden ground on FT - asking to switch seats is reasonable only when the offered seat is at least as good as the one you seek to switch into (if then).

To OP's question there seem to be two issues:
1) Should an NRSA flyer have "poached" a seat or even asked to switch to it? Rules say no to both.
2) Should anyone "poach" a seat in anticipation of asking to switch seats.

Question 3, which isn't really unique or asked here, is whether 8D is better/worse/the same as 11D and thus not a proper seat swap proposal.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sfolawyer
Personally, no--I would never do this. It conveys entitlement rather than a request.

My approach:
1. I only ask if the seats are equivalent. In rare cases, involving a young child or a disability issue, I might ask if the other person would actually prefer a window over aisle or vice versa--to acknowledge that it is their choice. Also, if there is a real need like this the FA will usually help.
2. I ALWAYS tell the person I am asking about a potential seat change that it is a request and they should feel free to stay put if that is their preference. And I mean it.
3. I have learned the hard way not to assume someone is intentionally sitting in the wrong seat. People do get confused, and many are not as experienced travelers as we are. I have a couple of times been on flights where multiple people had boarding passes listing the same seat number--many years ago, but still. Politely say perhaps there is a mistake and ask the person to check the boarding pass. Makes everyone feel better, which is a good thing.
I completely agree with all of this. I just want to point out that I was referring to a specific set of circumstances posted to earlier in this thread.

The seats in question were 11D (the poached seat) and 8D (the poachers seat) with the poacher's wife in 11E. I would not be offended to find the person in 11D, not settled in but just sort of squatting (as someone pointed out before they stand 'off to the side' - I'd like to know where exactly off to the side is other than just sitting in 11D to let boarding continue?) - and then immediately asking politely. If the person says no, then move. The problem with sitting in 8D and then asking at the end, is that now 11D has settled in and placed his luggage at Row 11, so switching is not really an option at that point.

You are, of course, always welcomed to say no, but I do not think asking to sit next to your traveling companion if you are offering a "comparable" seat is a completely psychotic or offensive thing to do.

Last edited by txaggiemiles; Aug 11, 2016 at 7:52 am Reason: Edited to correct seat #
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by Fleck
Agreed, but here's the most boring FT story ever:

I boarded and found a man in my seat. I pointed out the error. The man apologized and moved immediately.

I always start by pleasantly pointing out it is the wrong seat. I'm sure the vast majority of FT'ers do the same. People aren't always precisely alert when flying; there can be language barriers; et cetera and so on... But if the poacher balks, summon lighting and bring the pain!
Same here. I've come across plenty of people mistaking their seat (row off by one, or wrong side of the aisle). They're usually too polite and insist on switching to their assigned seat, even though it would be easier/faster for me to take theirs (which is what I try to offer when it becomes clear they misread the row/side).
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by televisor
I've come across plenty of people mistaking their seat (row off by one, or wrong side of the aisle).
We all make mistakes, especially if frazzled or jet-lagged from travel.

I once mistakenly sat in 4E on the ps 752 after confusing it for 7E when we boarded through 1L rather than 2L at JFK. "First seat on the left at end of the cabin. Check."
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:04 am

Interesting news from China: new fines, seemingly including seat poaching (and interestingly also gate "licing"):
The activities include using mobile phones, smoking, forcibly occupying seats, blocking channels and gates, breaking into airports and planes, beating crew and other workers, fighting, spreading rumors and causing troubles.
(It really seems close to a catch-all don't get in the way of anything or you'll get fined)

Found on the FT homepage, here's the direct link to the actual article:
http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2...500-fine-.html
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That said, I have been on flights with my toddler children where the airline made seat changes close to departure without recourse for us, and we ended up having to ask folks to change seats so that our 5 year old wouldn't sit next to them all alone. Usually, that was never a problem because NOBODY wants to deal with a 5 year old they don't know for 10 hours without the parents present.
This really bothers me, and I'll tell you why. If the airline split you up, the issue is between you and the airline, not you and other passengers. My attitude is, if you're traveling on a true emergency -- seeking medical treatment, going to a funeral -- I'll switch and also offer any help I can. However, any other reason and, no, I won't switch (unless it's to an equal or better seat AND I'm not flying with my wife), and, no, I'm not looking after your toddler. Equipment changes, double-booked seats, weather and mechanical delays and the like are all part and parcel of modern commercial air travel. If you can't cope with those problems, then don't fly.

I used to have a severe flying phobia but had to fly a lot for work (which, happily, went away a few years ago as quickly as it came on decades before). I dealt with it by having a fixed routine that included always booking a window seat. If a flight I wanted didn't have a window seat, I didn't book that flight. If there was an equipment change with no windows available, I'd take a later flight. If no windows were available within the time frame of my travel, I'd book another airline. My problem was just that: my problem. I wouldn't dream of making my problem the problem of some stranger and imposing on them.

I will always help out those who genuinely need my help. However, I will never switch seats because someone tries to blackmail me by saying, "Okay, then you entertain my 5-year old for the flight."
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think this issue is pretty clear. Take your assigned seat and then ask to switch later IF:

- you want to sit next to your wife on your honeymoon
- you want to sit next to your minor children
- AND the airline caused the seat split, not your own ineptness

In any other case (you simply made an error / were not paying attention / kids are adults / colleagues did not coordinate seats with you at booking) just suck it up and fly in separated seats. It won'y kill you.

That said, I have been on flights with my toddler children where the airline made seat changes close to departure without recourse for us, and we ended up having to ask folks to change seats so that our 5 year old wouldn't sit next to them all alone. Usually, that was never a problem because NOBODY wants to deal with a 5 year old they don't know for 10 hours without the parents present.
The question I have for the flight crew when seating assignment does that is simple. "You've separated me and my child by 7 rows. In case of an evacuation, do you expect me to leave the airplane without my child?"
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by PTravel

However, I will never switch seats because someone tries to blackmail me by saying, "Okay, then you entertain my 5-year old for the flight."
I think the word is extortion, not blackmail. "The practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats."

What a terrible lesson to teach a child - Bully people until you get what you want. Just be glad you are not the teacher who will have this 'little darling' in her class.
elsaglass likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by MrTemporal
I think the word is extortion, not blackmail. "The practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats."

What a terrible lesson to teach a child - Bully people until you get what you want. Just be glad you are not the teacher who will have this 'little darling' in her class.
It doesn't sound like OP was extorting anything. I think when you see a 5 year old by themselves, you're quite quickly going to figure out someone might need to take care of them, hence it's safe to assume most people wouldn't want to be that person next to the 5-year-old. Other posters seem to have then been putting words in their mouth. Unless you're saying taking a 5 year old on a plane is the act of extortion in itself?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Fleck
If you're in my damn seat, I will assume the Heisman Trophy stance, remove my pants, and sternly deliver for you and all to hear a "Get to steppin', Squatter Boy!"

I once actually sat, by mistake, in the seat of a Heisman winner on a UA flight. He was gracious about it and I took my correct seat.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
We all make mistakes, especially if frazzled or jet-lagged from travel.

I once mistakenly sat in 4E on the ps 752 after confusing it for 7E when we boarded through 1L rather than 2L at JFK. "First seat on the left at end of the cabin. Check."
I was on a p.s. flight with a fairly light load once. According to the seat map, many passengers had no seatmate in BusinessFirst, including me in 5E. A woman plopped herself down in 5F and I was disappointed. Luckily, the FA standing at 2L immediately came over and asked her to see her boarding pass. Turns out she was seated in 1E. Of course, I was appreciative toward the flight attendant and wondered how he knew to ask. It turns out my face had revealed confusion/disappointment and he figured the rest out. I thought I was better at hiding my emotions than that.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It doesn't sound like OP was extorting anything. I think when you see a 5 year old by themselves, you're quite quickly going to figure out someone might need to take care of them, hence it's safe to assume most people wouldn't want to be that person next to the 5-year-old.
The only people responsible for taking care of a child are the child's parents. It most certainly is not safe to assume that strangers will fulfill this role (and I have to question what kind of parent would trust their child to a stranger in the first place).

Other posters seem to have then been putting words in their mouth. Unless you're saying taking a 5 year old on a plane is the act of extortion in itself?
Taking a 5-year old on a plane without adjacent seats assuming that you will be able to make someone switch with you is planning to commit extortion.
Cotumely likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MattR23
It turns out my face had revealed confusion/disappointment and he figured the rest out. I thought I was better at hiding my emotions than that.
I use a similar look whenever I fly Southwest and have an open middle next to me during boarding . . . it rarely works
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
You are presumptuous enough to take my seat without asking - you will have ZERO chance of me switching. End of story
EXACTLY. Unless you're giving me your upgrade to F from E, you can forget it. It has happened to me more than once and I hope those people have learned their lesson and now always politely ask first.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Same here. I've come across plenty of people mistaking their seat (row off by one, or wrong side of the aisle). They're usually too polite and insist on switching to their assigned seat, even though it would be easier/faster for me to take theirs (which is what I try to offer when it becomes clear they misread the row/side).
After 2MM miles I still do this. Usually move on AA due to pre-ordered meals but on UA usually stay put if all is well with other party.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.