Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by SunLover
Can only guess the reason for the Plat. $$ change at T-60 is mentioned in the FAQs about fees (bolding mine):

Why did you change the window from 21 days to 61 days for reduced fees?

A reduced fee is applied for members making changes to awards 61 or more days prior to original departure date instead of 21 days to encourage members to maintain their travel plans closer to departure. When a customer changes or cancels a ticket closer to departure date, it reduces the chance for that seat to be used by another customer.

SL
Change fees (for changes to dates, not cities) for Silver went from $0 until T-21 to $50 until T-60. I wonder how they're going to twist that into "reduced fees"...
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
It's also unclear from the language whether the new fees are only for changes or also for cancellation (even though UA Insider said cancellation).

If they include cancellation that is a slight improvement as a Silver (and maybe Gold by end of the year) but change fees hurt (now a fee for any change as a Silver where previously more than 21 days was free).

I will say that at least they are still allowing a stopover even if it's more restrictive. Sadly the US airline oligopoly means the grass isn't greener on the other side with AS the only other major carrier that permits stopovers on international awards.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Can only guess the reason for the Plat. $$ change at T-60 is mentioned in the FAQs about fees (bolding mine):
I'm not sure we need to guess. It's a revenue item. The purported justifications are really just excuses for a revenue enhancement.

Originally Posted by BearX220
Calling a cutback an "enhancement" or "modification" is now so firmly embedded in airline communications culture -- with no apparent cost to the airlines -- they have no incentive to shift to honest language. They've been on this track for fifteen years, and they're making more money than ever. Why change now?
Bingo.

The curious thing is they've handed GMs a huge reduction in fees on a redeposit, while at the same time screwing Plats with the new fee.

Originally Posted by Duke787
It's also unclear from the language whether the new fees are only for changes or also for cancellation (even though UA Insider said cancellation).
It covers "cancel with redeposit."
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium

Why did you change the window from 21 days to 61 days for reduced fees?

A reduced fee is applied for members making changes to awards 61 or more days prior to original departure date instead of 21 days to encourage members to maintain their travel plans closer to departure. When a customer changes or cancels a ticket closer to departure date, it reduces the chance for that seat to be used by another customer.

SL
I just don't get this statement. It's not like there is a ton of saver inventory out there >60 days out. The big question is how much saver inventory is being held by Platinums until <21 days out? We'll never know, but UA seems to be indicating that this is a large amount. If this is really true, then I would expect a much more punitive change or cancellation fee to change behavior and this is not what UA has done. It's only a nominal fee.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
Change fees (for changes to dates, not cities) for Silver went from $0 until T-21 to $50 until T-60. I wonder how they're going to twist that into "reduced fees"...
Probably something along the lines of this:

some of our United Mileage Plus Sliver members found the fact that we didn't charge a change fee outside of 21 days confusing; to alleviate this confusion we have instituted a $50 fee to change an itinerary. This change is based upon feedback we received from our valued Silver members.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
This is ridiculous. The Plats must sue if they change the rules in the middle of the elite year.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
So, brand new award tickets for general members after October 5, is the fee now $125 for bookings within 61 days? Or is it still $75 within 21 days. Website link doesn't delineate new bookings from changes to existing bookings. Rank and file members won't be happy with that.

It is unclear if the 21 day rule has been eliminated for new award tickets. If so, a lot of people will be hit with a new booking fee within two months of travel.

From the website, United lists 1Ks above Global Service members in the hierarchy of the program. About time! (bet they clean that up quick!)

Last edited by dkc715; Aug 3, 2016 at 10:04 am
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Very unhappy. As has been discussed broadly on flyertalk, the ability to change award tickets without fees was a key benefit to maintaining Platinum status. That is now gone and the difference between the fees charged for Platinum and for Gold is minor, certainly not worth the extra effort of getting Plat status. I appreciate the gold fee dropping from 100 to 75.

For me this means I will not strive to get Platinum Status any more. There are not enough other benefits to justify it.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: AY Gold, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
UA race to the bottom continues. Well done.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
This makes me sad. Can't go visit relatives within US anymore en route to Europe, which we did often. This is also very unfriendly for people outside of the hubs who often must stopover in order to string something together with saver availability.

Last edited by DesertRat; Aug 3, 2016 at 11:32 am
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Wow, pretty terrible now
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K
Any indication on whether there is a close-in booking fee for new award flights?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:24 am

I think the part that makes me the most angry is that they are telling us that it's some type of upgrade or extra benefit now. Do they think we are idiots?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:26 am

What about an ORD-MUC-PRG roundtrip, where there's no direct Prague? Is that now the price of a Europe r/t and and intraEurope flight?

Right now, STL-ORD-MUC-PRG is 60K in E. How much would it be under the new program?

I'm worried this devaluation is even worse than it seems at first glance.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by artemis021
What about an ORD-MUC-PRG roundtrip, where there's no direct Prague? Is that now the price of a Europe r/t and and intraEurope flight?

Right now, STL-ORD-MUC-PRG is 60K in E. How much would it be under the new program?

I'm worried this devaluation is even worse than it seems at first glance.
I don't think there's any change for routes with layovers. Layover is not the same as stopover. ORD-MUC-PRG is a ORD-PRG priced ticket, same with STL-ORD-MUC-PRG...that's a STL-PRG ticket. The route wont count against you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.