Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 11:24 am Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Mid-flight, I used the lav at the front of the economy cabin. Boy, that thing is claustrophobic!!

FC lav is larger?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I used the lav pre-pushback. Everything seemed in good order, but then, I'm not a lav mechanic.
Totally speculating, but perhaps it was something that you wouldn't notice, such as the smoke detector? (assuming here that its purpose is to detect when a passenger is smoking in the lav, and that flying without it is acceptable if pax don't enter the lav)
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:53 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Clearly, it could benefit the crew and airline perception to simply take a few seconds to explain a bit better to the few F passengers, to avoid having these discontented discussions afterwards.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:40 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I had a E170 flight where the forward lav was broken. FA promptly explained it to me as I sat down. She still used it for pouring out coffee, drinks, etc.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:46 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TA
Clearly, it could benefit the crew and airline perception to simply take a few seconds to explain a bit better to the few F passengers, to avoid having these discontented discussions afterwards.
Totally agree, at the very least this was owed to the passengers.

UA is increasingly flying with defective lavs. I was on a TPAC 747 earlier this year where BOTH downstairs lavs were out of order for the entire flight and we were told we had to use the upstairs lavs!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I don't see where the OP mentioned it but did any passengers ask about the lav and what was the FAs response?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
I was on a flight a few months ago where the same thing happened, except that FA offered an explanation - smoke detector wasn't working. I found it rather humorous (as well as presumptuous and annoying) that the crew could use the lav (presumably because they could be trusted not to smoke) while F passengers could not (presumably because they could *not* be trusted not to smoke).

Last edited by st530; Jul 28, 2016 at 5:12 pm
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by RichardInSF

UA is increasingly flying with defective lavs. I was on a TPAC 747 earlier this year where BOTH downstairs lavs were out of order for the entire flight and we were told we had to use the upstairs lavs!
I'm wondering if you got the upstairs and downstairs mixed up? There are 12 downstairs lavs in a 747, so the "both" doesn't quite add up.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:06 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
I'm wondering if you got the upstairs and downstairs mixed up? There are 12 downstairs lavs in a 747, so the "both" doesn't quite add up.
Actually, it DOES add up. He was in BF, so there are two lavs to use there. He would not have been told to use the upper ones had he not been in BF.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:25 pm
TA

Originally Posted by st530
I was on a flight a few months ago where the same thing happened, except that FA offered an explanation - smoke detector wasn't working. I found it rather humorous (as well as presumptuous and annoying) that the crew could use the lav (presumably because they could be trusted not to smoke) while F passengers could not (presumably because they could *not* be trusted not to smoke).
Actually, based on some stories from LuckyCoins's blog regarding China Southern Airlines and pilots smoking, the opposite is sometimes true.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
The list of possible mechanical/safety reasons for blocking the lav for "crew only" has been interesting and educational. Is it even possible that the crew would actually do this to have the lav for themselves and it did not have any problems? I presume you feel that a UA crew would never do this.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
The list of possible mechanical/safety reasons for blocking the lav for "crew only" has been interesting and educational. Is it even possible that the crew would actually do this to have the lav for themselves and it did not have any problems? I presume you feel that a UA crew would never do this.
Why on Earth would they? You've got to have a pretty serious complex about you to rope off a lav all for yourself "just because."

That's also something HIGHLY visible, so the likelihood of mgmt hearing about it is pretty high.

Then again, I don't understand why people still try to rob banks ... So there you go.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
What about something like a crew member discovering he/she was getting a case of diarrhea? Not recognized until in flight. Or would that require a return?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:43 pm
TA

I remember there was a thread a couple years ago about a 735 or some such where almost all the lavs in the rear were malfunctioning, so the crew did just exactly that -- blocked off the front one for themselves so it wouldn't be overwhelmed with passengers. Highly questionable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.