Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Weather delays at ORD [July 13, 2016] - Best way to monitor UA IRROPS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather delays at ORD [July 13, 2016] - Best way to monitor UA IRROPS?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
Question Weather delays at ORD [July 13, 2016] - Best way to monitor UA IRROPS?

Hello All,

Connecting though ORD today and the weather has me a bit nervous about delays/cancellation.

Anyone else going though earlier today?

I am on UA 518 ROC-ORD in to ORD at 6:30pm
and then ORD-PDX leaving at 8:06pm

What are the best ways to see how the UA system is doing with delays for the day?

The FAA site already has ORD as orange or red with inbound aircraft experiencing delays of an 16-30 and growing. Which is better than hour it showed earlier.

Paul
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:58 am

If you're looking for things specific to your flight, I'd encourage you to use the United mobile app. From there, you can subscribe to "push notifications" for your flight and receive real-time updates. You can also see "where this aircraft is coming from" to gauge upcoming delays. But please, above all, rest assured that United (in Chicago) has a full team of members working to turn those planes around as fast as possible. If you get stuck for a bit, curl up with a good book. Blue skies!
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:23 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by mario02423
If you're looking for things specific to your flight, I'd encourage you to use the United mobile app. From there, you can subscribe to "push notifications" for your flight and receive real-time updates. You can also see "where this aircraft is coming from" to gauge upcoming delays. But please, above all, rest assured that United (in Chicago) has a full team of members working to turn those planes around as fast as possible. If you get stuck for a bit, curl up with a good book. Blue skies!
Good advice but also keep checking United's website to see if a weather waiver gets issued as if one does get issued, you may be able to change to earlier flights

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...elnotices.aspx
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
Thanks all.

The link to the waivers page is helpful.

United gives a link to the FAA airport page.

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

Which I had kinda forgotten about. I have not been flying as much, but my new job will put me "up in the air" more frequently.

The map shows the details of Arrival and Departure delays and any traffic programs by airport.

If you search your departure airport it lets you know if you will likely be effected. YMMV but a good indicator if you should prepare for delays.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by pfpdx
United gives a link to the FAA airport page.

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp
Awesome to know. So, you could check the departure airport (of your incoming plane) and cross reference with the FAA airport page to see if you can expect delays on either end. Great find!

Last edited by mario02423; Jul 13, 2016 at 3:14 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:20 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
At ORD now. Departure board is relatively clean at the moment) maybe 15% delayed, 2 cancellations), but the storm is headed in within the next hour, I'd say. I think it's going to get worse...Not sure of flow control, but seems an inordinate amount of traffic just sitting on the tarmac). Have a feeling things are about to get ugly.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
At ORD now. Departure board is relatively clean at the moment) maybe 15% delayed, 2 cancellations), but the storm is headed in within the next hour, I'd say. I think it's going to get worse...Not sure of flow control, but seems an inordinate amount of traffic just sitting on the tarmac). Have a feeling things are about to get ugly.
The radar and the forecast don't look too bad at present but it doesn't take much to foul up ORD in the rush hour. Good luck!
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
I'm about 3 hours southwest of OHare (downstate Illinois). The storm just passed through my town. It was a doozie! Big wind. Buckets of rain. I'm sure we'll have some trees and branches down around town. Maybe Chicago won't get it as bad as we had it. It lasted about 1.25 hours. Mostly done now.

Good luck! I've been stuck at OHare more than once, waiting for a commuter to PIA in bad weather.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Flight board

If you have an iPhone there is an app called Flightboard and it will list all flights either by gate, destination or departure time with the current status - has the same info for arrivals. This provides a way to get a general idea of what is happening at an airport.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by sim510
I'm about 3 hours southwest of OHare (downstate Illinois). The storm just passed through my town. It was a doozie! Big wind. Buckets of rain. I'm sure we'll have some trees and branches down around town. Maybe Chicago won't get it as bad as we had it. It lasted about 1.25 hours. Mostly done now.

Good luck! I've been stuck at OHare more than once, waiting for a commuter to PIA in bad weather.
Just flew into ORD a bit ago and it was fine but bumpy. Radar doesn't look good for later. BTW did not until this post that the airport code for Peoria is PIA - how unfortunate.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:11 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
All hell has broken loose. Maybe a dozen flight now are not "in yellow" on the big board. I was boarded then offloaded as the lightning started for a full ground stop.

I counted people as I walked by Customer Service at F, 89 people in line BEFORE the zig-zagged actual line, so probably 150 people in line there.

Our captain said maybe board in an hour, but then we'll have an hour or two taxi to the runway, given the traffic on the tarmac.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
All hell has broken loose. Maybe a dozen flight now are not "in yellow" on the big board. I was boarded then offloaded as the lightning started for a full ground stop.

I counted people as I walked by Customer Service at F, 89 people in line BEFORE the zig-zagged actual line, so probably 150 people in line there.

Our captain said maybe board in an hour, but then we'll have an hour or two taxi to the runway, given the traffic on the tarmac.

Yep not good right now.

Expertflyer is saying this about ORD delays:
Code:
Due to WEATHER THUNDERSTORMS, ORD is currently experiencing ground delays averaging 3 hours and 25 minutes.
Due to WEATHER, THUNDERSTORMS, ORD is currently experiencing general increasing departure delays averaging 1 hour and 46 minutes to 2 hours
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Not to denigrate anyone who has been stranded, but it is ORD and it is the middle of summer so thunderstorms should be expected....
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Meanwhile the OP's flight out of ROC seems to have been cancelled.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:40 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Originally Posted by timfountain
Not to denigrate anyone who has been stranded, but it is ORD and it is the middle of summer so thunderstorms should be expected....
Yep! I'm taking it all in stride, I'm protected on the first flight out in the morning, will get a hotel voucher if necessary--I'm heading home--won't see the kids tonight anyway. Had some lovely couscous and paneer at the UC, and currently having another drink. If I do make it out of here tonight, I still don't expect it to be until before 10pm.

...but tell that to the octogenarian next to me in the boarding area who told me it was her first time to this airport since 1977.

...Or the poor lady whom I helped corral her 3 kids when we did board the first time...And they were going in 100 directions after being cooped up at ORD since this morning. Can't blame them for the cabin fever they're going through right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.