Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017 ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous year's thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016 ...
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs can only be earned by flying, but not all are subject to PQD requirements.
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum by have a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.

PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases.
Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2016 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similiar functionality

Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2016 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2016 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2016 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2016 Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017 ..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2016, 11:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UASPG
It seems that I would be short of 10 PQDs to re-qualify for 1K for 2017, so I have been searching on ways to get those few additional PQDs without having to book an unnecessary trip.

I thought that I had checked years ago if I could purchase TG domestic tickets, but had in mind that I could not (maybe it was because the fares were higher through United).
Anyway, I just checked and those tickets are available on united.com, but I wanted to make sure that they would be 016 tickets and would generate PQDs.

Could someone be kind enough to confirm this?
A *A partner segment on a 016 ticket can earn PQDs if it is a RDM earning fare for the partner.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by aacharya
If you are truly short 10 PQDs, buyup one of your tickets to the next fare class....
Thanks for the suggestion. All my tickets until the rest of the year are purchased, but you probably mean to call reservations and to change the fare of one of my existing ticket. I guess that this would work, but, I have to buy at least 3 domestic tickets on TG and after additional readings, it seems that they would in fact generate EQDs if I purchase them on united.com.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
I did remember right: I was not purchasing my domestic TG on united.com because of the difference in fare.

On United, the fare I paid for the BKK-CNX on TG in BC was $290.80. The fare on the TG website was THB 8,980 or $259.01 at the current exchange rate. A 12% premium, but it does accomplish the task of getting the 10 EQDs that I was missing to renew my 1K status for 2017.

Or, 'hopefully it will', since I have to wait for Thai to confirm the ticket to United (an up to 24 hrs process). I just want to see that the ticket number will, in fact, start by 016.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:40 am

2 days after having purchased the UA ticket for the TG flights:

United Confirmation Number XXXXXX

Thank you for choosing United Airlines. Your purchase is confirmed. You will be promptly notified once the internal processing of your reservation has been finalized so that you can request additional receipts, export to Microsoft Outlook, refund or change your flight, view/change seats, check-in, or email or print your itinerary.

We will hold this reservation until midnight Sun., Aug. 28, 2016 in Bangkok, TH (BKK).

I guess that I have to call United.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 9:37 am

I called the United 1K desk. The agent told me that his screen was indicating that I should have called after 24 hours of the booking, to have the ticket issued. I read him the conflicting message posted on my reservation on their website, regarding the facts that my purchase had been confirmed and that I will be contacted promptly by United.

He told me that he could transfer me to another desk if I had an issue with this or that he could take the credit payment information (that I had already entered at the time of the booking and "confirmed" on united.com).

I said that I did not feel that I should be in charge of reporting this United issue and gave him my credit card #. His screen indicated that united.com should handle that process, so he stated "like I said, the website is a different beast than we are". Apparently, he does not understand that those internal issues should not be the customer's problem.

The call centers are a different beast from united.com, United is still a different beast from Continental, and Munoz is said to be a different beast from Smisek, but at the end, the customers don't see much of the change that keeps being announced.

My ticket was finalized and actually confirmed.

Bottom line: united.com is not the right website to book flights on Thai Airways. I fly quite a bit on TG domestic flights, but I will not use united.com to get additional EQDs, because of the difficult annoying process and additional cost, but it helped to get those 10 needed PQDs.

BTW, the ticket came as 016, as expected.

Last edited by UASPG; Aug 29, 2016 at 12:51 pm
Old Sep 5, 2016, 11:54 am

86 short

I am going to end up the year 86, yes 86 miles short of 1K. The buy ups are way more than I need and I would prefer not to have to take another mileage run flight. Is it pretty much a lock that United will bump me up or is it wishful thinking?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lpro1111
I am going to end up the year 86, yes 86 miles short of 1K. The buy ups are way more than I need and I would prefer not to have to take another mileage run flight. Is it pretty much a lock that United will bump me up or is it wishful thinking?
There is no known safe zone -- while in the past, some have been bumped up, there are other reports of no joy. What will happen this year is anyone's guess. Doubt you will get any commitment from UA this early in the year.

Any possibility of use SDC to add an extra intermediate stop to an existing itin?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There is no known safe zone -- while in the past, some have been bumped up, there are other reports of no joy. What will happen this year is anyone's guess. Doubt you will get any commitment from UA this early in the year.

Any possibility of use SDC to add an extra intermediate stop to an existing itin?
Thanks - Doubtful I can do a stop as my remaining flights are Asia and a PS flight. Dont think I want to mess with either of those. I will be completed with all travel by end of October so I guess it gives me some time to plan another quick trip if absolutely needed.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lpro1111
...Is it pretty much a lock that United will bump me up or is it wishful thinking?
Personally, I wouldn't gamble. 2 RPUs, 6 GPUs, CPU priority, increase in RPMs seriously isn't worth the purchase? Maybe you can upfare a short segment between now and end of year to get the miles? For a couple of dollars, I take the piece of mind.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If you can't sneak your way into a few more PQMs, this could be a rare instance where the Premier Accelerator for a small number of PQM is a good deal. And didn't they just have a "buy PQM" promo?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by UASPG
It seems that I would be short of 10 PQDs to re-qualify for 1K for 2017, so I have been searching on ways to get those few additional PQDs without having to book an unnecessary trip.
I was going to be short 25 PQD so booked a day trip SAN-SFO-SAN. It was cheaper than SAN-LAX-SAN. It was worth it for the 6 GPUs.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by findark
If you can't sneak your way into a few more PQMs, this could be a rare instance where the Premier Accelerator for a small number of PQM is a good deal. And didn't they just have a "buy PQM" promo?
In recent years the min purchase for an elite has been 1,000 or more typically 2,000 PQMs. Best to try a short OW such as SFO-LAX purchase to test the offer and then cancel the flight booking. This time of the year the offer is likely to be 10-12 cpm AI -- best to see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2016-a.html.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Help me strategize to hit gold

I have 41369 pqm right now, and only a couple short SK intra Europe flights booked going forward, but still have a few flights left to book for the rest of the year. I'm hoping there will be a way to maximize these since I am so close.

Around 11/15 I will need to fly BOS/PVD - LAS. I am not on a strict timetable with this so I can add extra legs if that makes the most sense.

Around 12/8 I will likely fly LAS-RIC, can be flexible on this as well. A few days after this I will need to go RIC-PIT.

Is it possible I can squeeze 8000ish miles out of these destinations or should I try something else?

I'm about to hit the pqd waiver with the credit card, so that's not an issue this year. Potentially planning considerable travel to Europe in 2017 so gold will definitely be worth it.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The easiest way would be to look at P fares to/from Las Vegas.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by horse glasses
I have 41369 pqm right now, and only a couple short SK intra Europe flights booked going forward, but still have a few flights left to book for the rest of the year. I'm hoping there will be a way to maximize these since I am so close.

Around 11/15 I will need to fly BOS/PVD - LAS. I am not on a strict timetable with this so I can add extra legs if that makes the most sense.

Around 12/8 I will likely fly LAS-RIC, can be flexible on this as well. A few days after this I will need to go RIC-PIT.

Is it possible I can squeeze 8000ish miles out of these destinations or should I try something else?

I'm about to hit the pqd waiver with the credit card, so that's not an issue this year. Potentially planning considerable travel to Europe in 2017 so gold will definitely be worth it.
Have you done the calculations for what a standard routing would credit for mileage? Off the top of my head, if those are round-trips, I don't think you'd have trouble finding 8,000 miles from them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.