Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Routing Advice BKK to/from USA for UA flyers {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread

Active thread: Routing Advice BKK to/from USA for UA flyers

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone] UA ceased BKK service in 2014
Print Wikipost

Routing Advice BKK to/from USA for UA flyers {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wco81
Post it on CX forum then.

people don’t read the UA forums for finding about some other non aligned carrier.
My post was directly addressed to UA not being competitive on this route. I added my personal view that CX via HKG is currently the best routing.

What we do here on FT is share information that others may find useful. If you don't like my posts, please feel free to "ignore" them. And Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
FWIW, CX SE Asia regional routes can earn Aeroplan miles based on its partnership with AC.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Post it on CX forum then.

people don’t read the UA forums for finding about some other non aligned carrier.
Seriously? Speak for yourself. This is the easiest route to take.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by Kacee
My post was directly addressed to UA not being competitive on this route. I added my personal view that CX via HKG is currently the best routing.

What we do here on FT is share information that others may find useful. If you don't like my posts, please feel free to "ignore" them. And Merry Christmas!
One catch regarding CX connection is that when you try to use GPUs to clear US to HKG United W fares, you may end up with a non winning lottery unless you can clear immediately, your travel has to be very flexible. Though US to HKG is better than SIN when it comes to PZ availability, it’s still can’t compare with NRT/HND route which seems to consistently have PZ9.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tomwhom
One catch regarding CX connection is that when you try to use GPUs to clear US to HKG United W fares, you may end up with a non winning lottery unless you can clear immediately, your travel has to be very flexible.
I was talking about purchased J, not upgrading a W.

As mentioned above, if I'm using a GPU, I fly separate tickets via HKG, SIN, or TPE (and I'm not the only one here who's concluded this is now the best option if using GPUs). Personally, I have no interest at all in flying TYO-BKK in Y. Simply not an option.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
How often do you guys go to BKK?

Business or pleasure?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by exerda
I wish some of those would price out better as paid tickets, particularly in J. OS on IAD-VIE-BKK would be awesome if it were priced similarly to flying the other direction.
That's what's so weird. They price out at double going other direction out of IAD, but 40k awards everywhere. J on OS is awesome, and if you could get it at $5,000 and change like on UA/NH combos, I would take that option in a heartbeat.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
I was talking about purchased J, not upgrading a W.

As mentioned above, if I'm using a GPU, I fly separate tickets via HKG, SIN, or TPE (and I'm not the only one here who's concluded this is now the best option if using GPUs). Personally, I have no interest at all in flying TYO-BKK in Y. Simply not an option.
I was talking about GPU clearing. Besides TPE, both HKG and SIN are not easy to clear unless you are super flexible and lucky especially SIN as no LAX-SIN any more. I do see HKG PZ availability occassionally.

Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:39 pm

I was talking about GPU clearing. Besides TPE, both HKG and SIN are not easy to clear unless you are super flexible and lucky especially SIN as no LAX-SIN any more. I do see HKG PZ availability occassionally.
I've cleared SFO-HKG (or return) 15-20 times the past five years.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:40 pm

How often do you guys go to BKK?

Business or pleasure?
7 times a year for vacation. I’m writing now at Hilton Sukhuvmit just after breakfast and ready for The Athenee Bangkok checkin later.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:44 pm

I've cleared SFO-HKG (or return) 15-20 times the past five years.
How is the ratio cleared at booking vs waitlisting?

Looks like you go to BKK 7 or 8 times per year like me?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:53 pm

How is the ratio cleared at booking vs waitlisting?
About 4:1 cleared at booking vs. waitlist. I only waitlist if I'm pretty certain it will clear. I cleared 3 this year; I think 2 were at booking.

I agree TYO and TPE are easier upgrades, HKG requires lots of watching. SIN there is now more PZ being released than before with the two daily flights (and SQ competing hard for the traffic).
Looks like you go to BKK 7 or 8 times per year like me?
SE Asia (not just Thailand) 3 or 4 times on average. This has been an unusually heavy year. It's probably 7 or 8. UA only got about 1/3 of the flights.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:08 pm

About 4:1 cleared at booking vs. waitlist. I only waitlist if I'm pretty certain it will clear. I cleared 3 this year; I think 2 were at booking.

I agree TYO and TPE are easier upgrades, HKG requires lots of watching. SIN there is now more PZ being released than before with the two daily flights (and SQ competing hard for the traffic).
SE Asia (not just Thailand) 3 or 4 times on average. This has been an unusually heavy year. It's probably 7 or 8. UA only got about 1/3 of the flights.
Going forward I plan to take HKG/SIN route for GPU upgrade. If I buy separate CX or SQ ticket, seems I don’t have to clear immigrant at HKG/SIN just go to transfer desk to get BP in case online checkin not working right?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:40 pm

Going forward I plan to take HKG/SIN route for GPU upgrade. If I buy separate CX or SQ ticket, seems I don’t have to clear immigrant at HKG/SIN just go to transfer desk to get BP in case online checkin not working right?
Yes, correct. TPE is also a pretty easy transfer.

I like transiting SIN, but it's the 789 on UA not the 77W.

I used to burn Avios for CX J award tix, but availability has gotten pretty bad. UA or KF awards (flying TG or SQ) are still pretty easy from both HKG and SIN. Or HX business class can be had as low as $400 RT HKG-BKK.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:20 pm

The Thanksgiving trip last month I bought 016 P ticket with HX on BKK-HKG leg on A359 . This Christmas trip P ticket also has KHG-BKK leg on A330. HX’s timing is terrible with BKK AM departure/arrival. HX’s A330 J seat though described as angel flat but almost 180 degree, far superior than NH’s 788.

Another advantege of HKG/SIN is much superior lounge experience, NH’s business lounges at TYO are nothing to write home about and IMO United Club offerings are better thsn NH’s with some high quality food like real shushi, smoked salmon and heathy cut fruits. I just hope Polaris at NRT will come earlier to make NRT a little enjoyable.

Just PM me your next year BKK stay plan if you don’t mind, if we happen to stay the same time, I will treat you Ding Tai Fung xiaolongbao there, I want to thank you for answering quite a few my United questions in the past 5 years from my Silver to 1K status. DTF at Valley Fair is really over priced and I believe taste at Bangkok is better.

Almost all my trave plans about 10 nights at BKK each stay involve major US holidays, Martin L. , Memorial,Independence,Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas New Year, only exception is March before my birthday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.