Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hunter Keay at it again: United Should Shrink in Cleveland and Los Angeles, Grow in..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hunter Keay at it again: United Should Shrink in Cleveland and Los Angeles, Grow in..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2016, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.

Saw this via Yahoo, did not see any other posts referring to it. Mods, if this belongs elsewhere, please relocate.

United Should Shrink in Cleveland and Los Angeles, Grow in Frisco, Analyst Says

United Airlines should announce at its impending investor update that it will grow in San Francisco and shrink in Los Angeles and Cleveland, says a leading airline analyst.

As Wall Street looks ahead to United Airlines' (UAL) scheduled June 21 update on earnings initiatives, Wolfe Research analyst Hunter Keay is suggesting potential changes to the carrier's route structure.

In a report issued Friday, Keay said United could move routes from Los Angeles International Airport, a congested airport where no carrier has been able to build a sizable hub, to San Francisco International Airport, where United's hub is the best on the West Coast.

Balance of article is here.

It seems to me that Jeffrey & Co took many of his prior suggestions to heart, and we can see how well that worked. If this guy is so brilliant in airline operations, why doesn't he go get a job with an actual airline?
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA GS & Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold (MM)
The first rule of SFO is you do NOT talk about Frisco. :-)
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
He compares moving from JFK to EWR to moving from LAX-SFO, so it's hard to take parts of the article seriously. JFK and EWR are both NYC airports, which are about the same distance from Manhattan (EWR is actually closer to Wall Street and the financial district), while LAX and SFO are two distinct Cali cities. UA can't just ignore LAX. The city is too big. Now, routes with LAX but not SFO service could see a city switch (MEL is the only city I can think of off the top of my head), but you can't just cut off LAX completely.

Not really sure what capacity he wants cut at CLE. There are few CLE routes that don't go to hubs, and they are to destinations with a lot of O&D (MCO, DCA, BOS, LGA, CUN, MKE) and some seasonal routes (FLL, SJU, RSW, CHS). UA has made sure it's remaining CLE routes have good load factors and yield, as they have been quick to cut flights. Many FF's in CLE are still UA based, so UA has a bigger base than the other carriers.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by DA201
He compares moving from JFK to EWR to moving from LAX-SFO, so it's hard to take parts of the article seriously. JFK and EWR are both NYC airports, which are about the same distance from Manhattan (EWR is actually closer to Wall Street and the financial district), while LAX and SFO are two distinct Cali cities. UA can't just ignore LAX. The city is too big. Now, routes with LAX but not SFO service could see a city switch (MEL is the only city I can think of off the top of my head), but you can't just cut off LAX completely.

Not really sure what capacity he wants cut at CLE. There are few CLE routes that don't go to hubs, and they are to destinations with a lot of O&D (MCO, DCA, BOS, LGA, CUN, MKE) and some seasonal routes (FLL, SJU, RSW, CHS). UA has made sure it's remaining CLE routes have good load factors and yield, as they have been quick to cut flights. Many FF's in CLE are still UA based, so UA has a bigger base than the other carriers.
+1 Keay once again showing his ineptitude.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Saw this via Yahoo, did not see any other posts referring to it. Mods, if this belongs elsewhere, please relocate.

United Should Shrink in Cleveland and Los Angeles, Grow in Frisco, Analyst Says

United Airlines should announce at its impending investor update that it will grow in San Francisco and shrink in Los Angeles and Cleveland, says a leading airline analyst.

As Wall Street looks ahead to United Airlines' (UAL) scheduled June 21 update on earnings initiatives, Wolfe Research analyst Hunter Keay is suggesting potential changes to the carrier's route structure.

In a report issued Friday, Keay said United could move routes from Los Angeles International Airport, a congested airport where no carrier has been able to build a sizable hub, to San Francisco International Airport, where United's hub is the best on the West Coast.

Balance of article is here.

It seems to me that Jeffrey & Co took many of his prior suggestions to heart, and we can see how well that worked. If this guy is so brilliant in airline operations, why doesn't he go get a job with an actual airline?
Keay is a moron and should shut his trap. Look at the damage he and Smisek (following his advice) have already inflicted on UA and its shareholders.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I don't blame the guy for being what he is - a FINANCIAL analyst trying to maximize stock price and his return. There is a reason these guys are analysts and not actual operators - and HK is living proof of it - with HK at the helm UA would be the most profitable airline in the world for a month - flying one plane on one route with the pilots doing cabin service...
Old Jun 8, 2016, 9:05 pm

I don't understand why this guy gets so much play. Is he the only analyst in the world that specializes in UA? Actually, he probably is. Not sure why anyone else would want to waste their career that way.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JetAway
I don't understand why this guy gets so much play. Is he the only analyst in the world that specializes in UA? Actually, he probably is. Not sure why anyone else would want to waste their career that way.
"Leading airline analyst"? He is a bullying gasbag who brings nothing to the table, certainly not any actual industry acumen or securities research talent, but rather the ability to constantly screech the same anti-customer mantra which inevitably involves charging the customer as much as possible while giving them absolutely nothing.

The sooner someone flushes this annoying fool down the toilet, the better it will be for everyone - airline executive, employee and customer alike.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Isn't this is the same clown who thinks UA should dehub IAD and give the DC market on a silver platter to AA?
Old Jun 8, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I wonder if he actually wrote "Frisco." I wouldn't be surprised since he seems ignorant of CA geography.

I sent my wife through SFO today. There were 90-minute ATC delays. In fact it's been that way the last 3 times I've flown through there myself (just in the last couple of weeks). It's quite typical.

The problem is that with even a little bit of a low cloud ceiling, SFO effectively has only two runways. And they cross each other. So it's really like more like one runway. Increasing traffic there would be plain stupid.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 9:55 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Longboater
Isn't this is the same clown who thinks UA should dehub IAD and give the DC market on a silver platter to AA?
I'm wondering if Hunter's plan is that every major airline should retreat to its most powerful hubs and not compete with each other. Thus, each airline will only compete on a limited basis with each other airline. This will give each airline maximum pricing power with respect to travelers in their own hubs, and raises the stock prices of the airlines as a whole. Of course, it also raises massive anti-trust issues.

Last edited by FlyingNut724; Jun 8, 2016 at 10:13 pm
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
I'm wondering if Hunter's plan is that ever major airline should retreat to its most powerful hubs and not compete with each other. Thus, each airline will only compete on a limited basis with each other airline. This will give each airline maximum pricing power with respect to travelers in their own hubs, and raises the stock prices of the airlines as a whole. Of course, it also raises massive anti-trust issues.
Well, DL is probably the biggest beneficiary of zilch competition in ATL, DTW, MSP, and SLC. WN and ULCCs are not really competitors to DL in my estimation. Only in ultra-competitive NYC/LAX markets and their hub-from-scratch SEA does DL really have to compete. And yes, DL continues to do better in SEA quarter by quarter, shocking some many people on this forum. Of course, it took DL almost decade to record a profit in NYC after they began to build up during bankruptcy. With their current financial situation, DL can burn through cash at SEA for years and still not a make a dent in their performance.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:13 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
It is unfortunate when Mr Smisek exited the stage, he did not take his chief Wall Street guide with him.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Longboater
No, that was Bob McAdoo, former AA management who was beaten senseless by his former employer when he ran Vanguard into the ground (thanks to aggressive competition by AA).

Originally Posted by porciuscato
I wonder if he actually wrote "Frisco." I wouldn't be surprised since he seems ignorant of CA geography.
Hunter Keay is a doofus, but he did not write "Frisco." The article was written by Ted Reed (another dim bulb) and published by The Street, and either Reed or his editors wrote the headline.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
No, that was Bob McAdoo, former AA management who was beaten senseless by his former employer when he ran Vanguard into the ground (thanks to aggressive competition by AA).

Hunter Keay is a doofus, but he did not write "Frisco." The article was written by Ted Reed (another dim bulb) and published by The Street, and either Reed or his editors wrote the headline.
Well both are doofuses since they essentially want UA to cede to prime markets to AA and a to a lesser extent DL. These idiots would do more damage to UA than $mi$ek could have ever imagined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.