Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Dulles Global First Lounge Transformed into Chinese Restaraunt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dulles Global First Lounge Transformed into Chinese Restaraunt

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
OK, you skeptics are right. Was in the GF lounge Sunday. Chinese entrees were some noodle slop, unidentifiable vegetables, and bland brocolli. Told the folks at the desk and they brought out the chef and I told him that this was not good Chinese food. Bring back the shrimp--and the cookies (there were none). Chinese food was similar to the now closed Mayflower restaurant in Rockville MD (which my wife says is the worst restaurant of any kind she has ever been to).
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by euslaner
OK, you skeptics are right. Was in the GF lounge Sunday. Chinese entrees were some noodle slop, unidentifiable vegetables, and bland brocolli. Told the folks at the desk and they brought out the chef and I told him that this was not good Chinese food. Bring back the shrimp--and the cookies (there were none). Chinese food was similar to the now closed Mayflower restaurant in Rockville MD (which my wife says is the worst restaurant of any kind she has ever been to).
Thank you.

This was no upgrade.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone

The reality is of course more subtle; as with restaurants, lounges' food offerings and comfort are highly variable. There are some truly spectacular lounges abroad, and it appears UA is trying to bring some of that feel to the Polaris lounges when they're rolled out -- and also piloting significant upgrades to certain UCs at hubs.

As stated elsewhere, only time will tell if they'll succeed.
Perhaps downgrading the GF lounge offerings is part of the preparation for the success of the Polaris lounge rollout? After the Chinese buffet food, Polaris offerings will look much better than they might when compared to the old GF menu.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportprof
Perhaps downgrading the GF lounge offerings is part of the preparation for the success of the Polaris lounge rollout? After the Chinese buffet food, Polaris offerings will look much better than they might when compared to the old GF menu.
Let's hope so...
Old Jun 13, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by transportprof
I know you're just being sarcastic, but I highly doubt the two initiatives are related.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
What's your beef with Sodexo? The improvements they've made in the past few weeks to the staff, food, drinks -- heck, even the glassware -- at the ORD UCs have been nothing short of phenomenal.
I had the hot breakfast there a few days ago and I was impressed. Maybe they are going for best first impressions but it was restaurant quality.

Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS

The Global F changes were clearly cost reduction moves. Even the fresh sliced fruit is gone and replaced with a basket of whole fruit. Everything that they have out now could probably be purchased at your grocery store for about 30% less than what they had out previously.

So it isn't the end of the world and neither is it something that anyone is looking for sympathy for, its just a sign of the continued downgrade of Global F amenities on the ground
While I generally like the improvements I have seen in all lounges (UC or GFL) I don't get why the sliced fruit is gone. I saw it in ORD but not NRT. When I asked about it in NRT they said the presentation had been updated. Whatever that means. I hope the Polaris lounges will have sliced fruit.

But NeoOfTheCRS, no point lamenting the passing of Global First, it's gone in all but name already.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:07 pm

Maybe I'm the exception to the rule . . . and I was there about 2 weeks ago, but I much preferred the new menu at the IAD GFL.

IMHO, the old food was awful. The shrimp was tasteless -- which is hard for shrimp and the only way to eat it was to douse it with seafood sauce. Ditto for the old sushi. The cheese was bland, the sandwiches not good, the soup -- awful.

Last time I was there with the new menu, there was tuna tartar in a salad -- not exceptional but more than decent. Some sort of cold shrimp dish which looked good. Cheese was tasty. Didn't see any Chinese menu items.

My only nit was that, when I mentioned to one of the servers that the champagne was empty, she pointed me to a bottle and watched while I opened it myself. OK, I can do that, but . . .

I'll be there again on Thursday and will report back. But, as noted above, any menu change had to be for the better b/c the old stuff was awful. We shall see . . .
Old Jun 16, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: Everything -- lately United 1K*G, Marriott Pt, National XElite
What's your beef with Sodexo? The improvements they've made in the past few weeks to the staff, food, drinks -- heck, even the glassware -- at the ORD UCs have been nothing short of phenomenal.
They've had our corporate cafeteria food contract for the last 4 years. The first year, the food was ok. But, that didn't last (as another poster said). Some time last year, we renegotiated to allow bringing in "guest local restaurants" to do exhibition stations 2 days a week. We have been hoping the competition would drive Sodexo to improve their food offerings. That hasn't worked yet, and the staff mostly buys the guest restaurants' food... Even so, Aramark was much worse.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA GS
I had Sodexo catering in remote field crews in the middle of Nowhere and it was always excellent. I guess it depends on what the company is prepared to spend on a meal.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
I had Sodexo catering in remote field crews in the middle of Nowhere and it was always excellent. I guess it depends on what the company is prepared to spend on a meal.
Unfortunately this is true - as someone who works in the industry it's less about Sodexo vs. Aramark vs. whoever and more about the spec that UA puts out and is willing to pay - that's why the food at SQ lounges is way better than UA lounges in same airport and same caterer - it's all about the money....
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Where does UA fly GF out of IAD? NRT/PEK? That might explain it.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Where does UA fly GF out of IAD? NRT/PEK? That might explain it.
AMS, BRU, CDG, FCO, FRA, GRU, GVA, LHR(x2), MAD, MUC, NRT, PEK, ZRH
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA GS
So you'd think they'd be better off with some good European food.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:56 pm

Through here last week also. I don't really eat there, so I guess the food could be a preference issue; I had no use for the food pre or post changes. But my god, the smell. The whole place absolutely reeks of the aforementioned Chinese food odors.

I found it tremendously unpleasant. It was a relief upon leaving and getting back to the "normal" smells of the terminal.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ORD had all "Chinese food" (hot) earlier this week in GF lounge. Now lounge is closed!

Wonder about SFO?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.