Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA ends LAX to New Orleans daily flight [effective August, 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA ends LAX to New Orleans daily flight [effective August, 2016]

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
AA is gate-limited. They can't grow much more. They'll have to cut routes to add routes. I can see them cutting the Hawaii routes.
AA has re-gated T4 to add 2 new gates. Plus, AA has exclusive use of 5 gates at TBIT before 11am (shared use afterwards). They have added 20 new daily flights for the summer season.

I agree, expansion will be slow due to gate limitations. But AA is working very hard to add gates - including the T4-TBIT connector and a long term plan to have AA take the entirety of T4 and T5.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Gee, how come UA didn't build a huge new UC in CLE when they down-sized there? UA's commitment to LAX is clearly demonstrated in the terminal renovation there. The loss of T-6 was the last real down-sizing. IIRC, UA didn't wholly volunteer to lose those gates. The completion of the T-7 remodel should see gate 71A back (and maybe one more)? If there's a systematic down-size, not sure why UA is adding a gate.
Probably because CLE has an oversized UC that suits it just fine.
UA can fill their LAX gates with flights to other hubs and service to a dozen other cities where they can print money.

In fact that's been their exact strategy in CLE @:-)

Making LAX a focus city and moving most connecting traffic and TATL/TPAC flights through SFO seems inevitable at this point.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by channa
Well UA already cut New York, so that one is out.
Do we need to be so pedantic? I understand the fact that Newark is not in New York proper, but if the implication is that passengers going to New York City are not using EWR, full stop, then that is complete, utter nonsense unsupported by fact.

United is at 15x on LAX-EWR (schedule just increased for the fall). How many markets, not just NYC, have that kind of frequency on AA/DL?

United was never all things to all people, and it shouldn't be. I'd rather continue to see mainline replacing regional at core hubs (look at SFO, DEN, ORD, is happening in a big way) than see United fight losing battles for share in non-core markets.

Is anyone here willing to give up mainline service on, say, 3x SEA-SFO, 3x EWR-ATL and maybe DEN-DFW so United can launch 3x LAX-MSY to be competitive with NK, DL, WN, AA on that route?

Further, where is Delta's ORD service from its powerhouse LAX hub? Where is SFO service on AA if it is so strong in the Washington area? I'd argue all of that is evidence of the same principle... airlines have only so many airplanes to allocate.

Of course, that all ignores the fact that it's fun to bash United at every turn, for every decision, especially if it has anything to do with unwinding a vestige of the halcyon days of United, especially its late-90s/early-2000s dominance at LAX...
Old May 25, 2016, 12:46 pm

who said

DL or AA are making money on MSY? Nobody has.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't doubt that. It is not exactly a core business route.

But it's still not a positive indicator of UA's overall position at LAX . . . rather, it raises the question, if other airlines can make money on the route, why can't UA? Death by a thousand cuts (and no UA won't die at LAX, but they do have a problem there, and they can't really even start a comeback until the very poor ground experience improves).
Old May 25, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jasondc
DL or AA are making money on MSY? Nobody has.
Probably Southwest. But you're right - skeeping a money-losing route just to keep up with the Joneses is misguided, especially when LAX-MSY flies right over IAH, where UA has a hefty schedule to/from MSY and LAX. We bemoan the loss of LAX-MSY, but I'm sure the LAX slots will be filled by a better revenue route.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 25, 2016 at 1:08 pm
Old May 25, 2016, 12:49 pm

welcome

to my respected users list

Originally Posted by EWR764
Do we need to be so pedantic? I understand the fact that Newark is not in New York proper, but if the implication is that passengers going to New York City are not using EWR, full stop, then that is complete, utter nonsense unsupported by fact.

United is at 15x on LAX-EWR (schedule just increased for the fall). How many markets, not just NYC, have that kind of frequency on AA/DL?

United was never all things to all people, and it shouldn't be. I'd rather continue to see mainline replacing regional at core hubs (look at SFO, DEN, ORD, is happening in a big way) than see United fight losing battles for share in non-core markets.

Is anyone here willing to give up mainline service on, say, 3x SEA-SFO, 3x EWR-ATL and maybe DEN-DFW so United can launch 3x LAX-MSY to be competitive with NK, DL, WN, AA on that route?

Further, where is Delta's ORD service from its powerhouse LAX hub? Where is SFO service on AA if it is so strong in the Washington area? I'd argue all of that is evidence of the same principle... airlines have only so many airplanes to allocate.

Of course, that all ignores the fact that it's fun to bash United at every turn, for every decision, especially if it has anything to do with unwinding a vestige of the halcyon days of United, especially its late-90s/early-2000s dominance at LAX...
Old May 25, 2016, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
But it's still not a positive indicator of UA's overall position at LAX . . . rather, it raises the question, if other airlines can make money on the route, why can't UA? Death by a thousand cuts (and no UA won't die at LAX, but they do have a problem there, and they can't really even start a comeback until the very poor ground experience improves).
Interesting, that the route seems to be profitable for OALs. Besides, scheduling has been tedious too, with a single night flight leaving around midnight LAX-MSY, probably not very attractive for business travelers.

At least some of the ground experience (UC, check-in area) is about to improve.
Old May 25, 2016, 3:13 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Isn't this a flight which UA has axed before? Last time I flew it was in 2007 or thereabouts, and I seem to recall it going away not long after.
Old May 25, 2016, 3:41 pm

This cut comes at the same time as a flurry of IAH-related schedule changes... IAH-ONT/YUL/LOS. SFO-FLL (also overflying IAH) has been seasonally reduced.

I wonder if UA is trying to kill two birds with one stone here... exit a saturated, low-yield market, and strengthen flow over IAH for any MSY-LAX pax who remain with United (as there will be some). IAH becomes the logical transfer point for both LAX-MSY and SFO-FLL.

Edit to add:

Based on the most recent schedule update, even with MSY cut, UA has increased daily departures at LAX for the fall schedule... just about all of the other remaining changes were added flights to spokes like FAT/TUS/LAS/ABQ/PSP/SAN/SMF, plus EWR went up to 15x.

Last edited by EWR764; May 25, 2016 at 3:58 pm
Old May 25, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by fly18725
At some point, you have to decide whether you can compete and if it makes sense to reallocate resources to an area where you have a better opportunity to succeed.
Just like DL did in CVG, DTW, MEM, and Florida which have all shrunk. Or AA/US in BNA, LAS, LGA, PIT, RDU, SJC and STL.
You have been advocating United shrinking since 2012, its not worked out well.

Of course the big difference is that LAX is the airport for the nation's second largest air market with 18.6 Million people. And not poor people with few high spending businesses (like BNA, LAS, PIT, STL) but a key market for large numbers of industries with premium traffic (finance, insurance, banking, entertainment, some tech).

And the other reason why its important is that the companies that do business in LA, and have large amounts of corporate travel that goes there or is based there, are often tied to other cities. When LA leaves the picture slowly but surely AA and DL have a much better pitch than does United.

This is especially so with the many companies that have opperations in several West Coast Cities (SEA, PDX, SFO, LAX, SAN). Delta, and AA (with AS) are rapidly getting to the point they are a better go-to airline.

Originally Posted by Seby12
I think LAX should remain a hub, however it should have only O/D traffic. Before (and a bit right now) they were trying to mak LAX a connection hub. LAX needs to be an O/D hub and that's it.
This model does not work. Passenger spends $30K/year in travel. UA offers 15 destinations, AA and DL offer 45. Unless United stands out with superior service. United looses this - and most other HVFer traffic. But to keep the designations going, you need connection traffic.

Let me give you an example. United got driven out of the PDX-LAX market. They don't fly it. AS/DL/AA/SW do. So not only is that gone, but there is less feeder traffic for LAX-MSY. As flights get cut, it not only impacts the cut flight, but it also impacts the flights that carried connecting passangers to LAX.

E.g. I had to go to TUS. At least 4 people on my SFO-LAX DL shuttle were also on LAX-TUS. Cut LAX-TUS, those people are gone from the core SFO-LAX route as well.

This is the mentality that got UA into its revenue problem today.

At some point, the airline needs to decide whether they want the city or not, and have reasonable service to major markets. If not, they risk losing high-volume customers and businesses to competitors.
+1

It's a matter of resource allocation. If yields on a single-daily flight (to a medium-sized city that happens to almost directly overfly a massive - but struggling - hub) are being trashed by aggressive competition, is that really a core market UA needs to be in?

UA has been flying LAX-MSY for a long time, but two airlines with a larger local presence on the MSY end (DL and WN) offer better schedules, plus with NK and AA entering, there's probably too much capacity.
Actually UA was the incombent airline on the LAX-MSY route. Neither AA nor DL flew it. That they are being chased out of it says a lot. LAX-MSY is NOT primarily a leisure market. There are major (and high value) links in the music, entertainment, and media industries between the two cities. It is also a route that in the past was always on UA expensive in F, and is now expensive on DL in F.

Well UA already cut New York, so that one is out.

The straw breaking the camel's back is the issue. That's been UA management's issue since the merger -- every cut when assessed as a standalone was not that big of a deal. In aggregate, with every cut -- service, route, you name it, it adds up.

From a LAX perspective, UA continues to maintain their disadvantage. They don't serve SJC like AA or DL do, they don't serve OAK like DL does, and they have less service to SMF.

New York is already gone, they don't serve MIA (AA and DL both do), DL/AS/AA have more frequency to SEA, etc.

The list goes on...
+1. The cumulative cuts to LAX have taken UA from no 1 to no 3 since 2012. Last three months, AA had a 20.13% market share, Delta had a 17.16% market share, UA was back at 14.69% market share. http://www.lawa.org/uploadedfiles/LA...rrier-2016.pdf

I assume they are already past the tipping point of HVFers moving to DL or AA, hence another round of cuts to routes ex-LAX.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
With limited gate space, LAX is better served for Asia,Australia,hub to hub and transcons.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by exerda
Isn't this a flight which UA has axed before? Last time I flew it was in 2007 or thereabouts, and I seem to recall it going away not long after.
Red-eyes accomplish two things - 1) there are some people who actually take 'em (whether they like it or not) and 2) maximizes a/c utilization. Public-defined preferred flying times results in excess a/c in the west U.S. at the end of the day (think California and Hawaii). Red-eyes re-position some of those a/c eastward. Maybe the red-eye to MSY was replaced by a better-yielding red-eye ex-LAX?
Old May 25, 2016, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Edit to add:

Based on the most recent schedule update, even with MSY cut, UA has increased daily departures at LAX for the fall schedule... just about all of the other remaining changes were added flights to spokes like FAT/TUS/LAS/ABQ/PSP/SAN/SMF, plus EWR went up to 15x.
Shhh! That doesn't fit the narrative!
Old May 25, 2016, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
Actually UA was the incombent airline on the LAX-MSY route. Neither AA nor DL flew it. That they are being chased out of it says a lot. LAX-MSY is NOT primarily a leisure market. There are major (and high value) links in the music, entertainment, and media industries between the two cities. It is also a route that in the past was always on UA expensive in F, and is now expensive on DL in F.
MSY as a high-yield market is overstated, and DL has always been a very strong brand at the MSY end. With WN and NK in the market, and AA coming, there's no question it's going to be a bloodbath. The strategic need for United to be in the market is not there, and by directly overflying a struggling hub, the value proposition is diminished even further.

Again, is it ordained that United needs to be in every market, all the time, at LAX, with a stronger hub a few hundred miles up the road? Delta certainly isn't in every major LAX market; neither is AA. Perhaps their growth at LAX is motivated to approximate some of the advantages the UA SFO operation confers... and at the same time, is it inconceivable that some of the LAX assets have been redeployed to strengthen SFO, which is at an all-time high for United?
Old May 25, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
MSY as a high-yield market is overstated, and DL has always been a very strong brand at the MSY end. With WN and NK in the market, and AA coming, there's no question it's going to be a bloodbath. The strategic need for United to be in the market is not there, and by directly overflying a struggling hub, the value proposition is diminished even further.

Again, is it ordained that United needs to be in every market, all the time, at LAX, with a stronger hub a few hundred miles up the road? Delta certainly isn't in every major LAX market; neither is AA. Perhaps their growth at LAX is motivated to approximate some of the advantages the UA SFO operation confers... and at the same time, is it inconceivable that some of the LAX assets have been redeployed to strengthen SFO, which is at an all-time high for United?
ex-LAX I can't think of a major market in the western part of the US that UA serves and DL and AA don't. And other than LAX-MSP (on a RJ on UA, AA flies it mainline) I can't think of a single flight that UA has ex-LA into a competitors hubs in the Eastern UA, and I can for DL and AA. (e.g. AA flies LAX-IAH, LAX-IAD, LAX-ATL, Dl flies LAX-MIA). Of course you see this in the market share numbers.

My point is that as UA pulls down, and AA/DL add ex-LAX, the lack of connecting traffic will eventually kill LAX other than as a spoke city. United is well on the way to this.

And don't tell me this was a planned decision, everyone knew how important LAX was, and it was a city that United was No 1 in when Jeff took over. A quote from a 2013 article sort of brings it back:

'"LAX is the pot of gold at the end of a very rare rainbow," one airline executive told me recently. "Billions are at stake and no airline sees a profitable path forward without having a meaningful presence at the airport that defines the Los Angeles market."

With about 19 percent of the market in the 12 months ending in January, United Airlines (NYSE: UAL) has traditionally been the LAX leader. But American Airlines (OTC: AAMRQ), with more than 18 percent, has always been a close second. After a 20-year drive to dominate the so-called California Corridor of intrastate flights, Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV) is a solid number-three with an estimated 15.7 percent market share. Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) has recently been an LAX also-ran'

What happened was the former management team treated LAX like it treated IAH and EWR, and cut service quality and service and expected people to suck it up "they will fly United for price and schedule" I believe was the mantra. HVFers fled, and United just bled corporate accounts. I've talked to people in LA, it was and is brutal. And when the HVFers left, the entire thing became unprofitable, so they cut, which caused more traffic to go. Fundamentally former management did not understand the market, and shot itself in the foot, an injury that continues to fester.

This is just a symptom of a much larger issue United created for itself ex-LAX. Moving traffic to SFO is not by choice (SFO is a horrible hub to connect in with the weather) its by necessity because United no longer has the high value traffic ex-LAX to maintain it as a hub.

p.s. and this played a big part in PS going away. United lost so much full fare traffic ex-LAX that it made those flights unprofitable, even with a reduced schedule, which in turn cost United more business. But without the LAX routes, there was no way to keep PS only to SFO, so UA moved it to EWR. It is a perfect example of the nock on effect of allowing competition to eat away at your traffic base. As we say here rinse, repeat, rinse again....

Last edited by spin88; May 25, 2016 at 5:54 pm Reason: spelling...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.